PDA

View Full Version : Little help with a big drawer please.

Doug Whitson
11-20-2005, 9:56 AM
Hi All, I'm building a cooking center for my sis for X-mas. Basically it's a big vanity with full extention drawer slides. As the main goal here was to use every available hunk of realestate, I turned what would normally be the toe kick into a large drawer. I'm talking 23"X33" X four inches high. The idea was to put her cookie sheets and baking flats in this space. I've box jointed the all four pices together, now I'm looking at putting a 1/4" piece of hardboard in for the bottom but got worried about sag. The material for the drawers is close grained 3/4" X 4" Doug fir. Think I should worry about it? It's just going to hold thin pans. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks,

Mark Singer
11-20-2005, 10:00 AM
I would use 3/8" veneer core ply for that size drawer

Doug Whitson
11-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Wish I had thought of that, I bought a bunch of 1/4" hardboard for the bottoms but the 3/8" ply would probably stand up to the stress.
Thanks

Mark Singer
11-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Doug,
With a slot cutter on a router you can widen the dado ....or just rabbet the edge of the bottom down to the with of the dado

Doug Whitson
11-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Mark, Thanks, I have not glued the drawer yet so I'm still good to go on the dado's, I'll just throw the 3/8" dado in and go to town, that is, once I get off my butt and go get some ply.
Doug