PDA

View Full Version : The Diston is not hot dog proof! My one major accident.

Dev Emch
11-20-2005, 5:04 AM
Since everyone is recalling the injuries they have had due to woodworking, I began thinking about whether or not I was ever truely injured.

When I was about 12 years old, I cut myself seriously while ripping a board. I placed three very deep cuts across my knee. Did not need stiches but they bled profusely and I now have scares on my knee for life.

But here is the problem.... the culprit was my Dad's old Diston handsaw. I was not allowed to use the table saw yet because I might get cut. Hello........

So do you guys think that the saw stop technology will work on my old Diston handsaw?

scott spencer
11-20-2005, 7:03 AM
Just be careful not to touch the blade when lining up your cut or the safety brake will fire! :D

Dennis Peacock
11-20-2005, 9:02 AM
Dev.....:rolleyes:

Cut THREE times with a handsaw???:eek: But now ya know that a tablesaw is safer to use that a handsaw......right? :p :rolleyes: :D

David Fried
11-20-2005, 9:12 AM
I think you need to stop cutting boards on your lap!

Reg Mitchell
11-20-2005, 1:29 PM
hummmmmmmmmmm.....ok let me get this one right. Yo have 3 different cuts on your knee. Does that mean, you didn't feel the first one, therefore you had to try again to see if it really hurt, finally on the third cut :eek: you decided you didn't want to do that again?

Dev Emch
11-20-2005, 2:03 PM
SKEW CUT GUYS! The blade passed the beef on an angle. So three teeth answered the old Wendy's commerical question of "Where's the Beef". Each tooth got its own USDA prime cut.

Don Baer
11-20-2005, 2:04 PM
Dev,
Thats real funney since I had the same thing happen to me when I was about 9 or 10. I was holding down the board with my foot and cutting with both hands. Put an ugley gash in the side of my knee. Those Distons can be realy dangerous. Thats probubly why I'm not much of a niander...:rolleyes:

Jeff Borges
11-20-2005, 4:09 PM
I have scars on my right hand, from pinky to index..I was 14.. had learned how to "properly" sharpen a handsaw.. proud of my efforts I was running with it IN my hand.. bumped a wall.. and let my family see just how well it would cut....my fingers... never carry a tool by the sharp edge!!!!!

And exactly WHY am I admitting this?

Ernie Hobbs
11-20-2005, 6:42 PM
I think I have a similar story- When I was about ten or so, I wasn't allowed to turn on the band saw. My dad had an old Delta bandsaw with the pulley exposed so, I figured out that if I turned the pulley with my right hand, I could hold the wood with my left hand and cut. One big problem: since only one hand could hold the wood, I had my thumb on the right side of the blade and my fingers on the right. I have two nice scars on my left hand (didn't learn the first time so, I had to do it again!) - one on my thumb and one on my index finger knuckle. The second one required stitches. After that, I think my Dad taught me how to use the saw properly.

Come to think of it, I've only had three power tool accidents in 20 or so years. the two aforementioned and one more stupid bandsaw injury when I was 16. After that, I have put a lot more stock in safety and try to avoid stupid accidents.

Reg Mitchell
11-20-2005, 7:35 PM
hehehehehe just ribbing Dev. :D