PDA

View Full Version : Ruida CCD/Vision system

Jeff Watkins
06-13-2018, 6:19 PM
Does anyone have or familiar with the Ruida RDV6442G vision controller and camera setup? They market it as their CCD/Vision system and apparently have it available as a flavor or version of each of their main controllers.

It looks to read shapes and registration marks to align cutting like the eye on some newer vinyl cutters. Trotec has a CCD option on their laser I noticed and it appears to do the same things. I occasionally print with registration marks and cut things for sublimation that I think would benefit from this. Since my laser chasis is still being built I could upgrade to the CCD controller but wanted to see if anyone else has one. There are a number of videos on youtube if you search RDV6442G.

Next question, LightBurn talks about new camera capabilities but I can't see what exactly they are. Are they to use this Ruida CCD setup or just for a USB camera and if it's for a USB camera will it allow you to do the same things as the Ruida CCD Vision software without the extra expense of the specialized Ruida controller?

Thanks for any help and insight,
Jeff

Bert McMahan
06-13-2018, 6:52 PM
I can't comment on the Ruida system but I can say Lightburn just uses a USB camera. It doesn't follow anything in real time, you just use it to get an image of your bed (as I understand it). I haven't used it myself as I don't have Lightburn, but it's absolutely something I want to try one of these days. The guy has said he plans on doing a video of the feature "soon" so you might want to keep an eye on their Youtube channel.

Matt McCoy
06-13-2018, 6:52 PM
Recent LightBurn video of camera feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ6HKiG7b_U

Dave Sheldrake
06-13-2018, 7:09 PM
I have one, it never gets used, only tried it out once when I first got it, it does work well but I simply don't have the demand for work that would need it

Jeff Watkins
06-13-2018, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. Here's what LightBurn had to say in a email response.

"LightBurn is set up to use a standard USB camera. The feature set is a little different - you mount the camera in a fixed location, not to the laser head. It lets you manually align cuts with objects on the bed, but won't do automated registration like RDVision will. That may be something we look at longer term, but if it does happen it won't be for quite some time."

So I guess it's a step in the right direction but not exactly using registration marks for cutting. Decisions decisions.