PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Gloat!

Pete Harbin
11-20-2005, 4:44 AM
Howdy Creekers!

I'm up at this time due to a HUGE change in our lives. LOML and I have been waiting to adopt a child for some time now. Well, after a couple of close calls over the past 14 months, we recieved a call on Friday afternoon that a baby had been born that morning and that the birth mother and father were both in complete agreement about placing the child for adoption. Most birth mothers will make this decision earlier in their pregnancy, so there is usually some time to prepare...but, who really needs that! :D

We imediately left our jobs and raced down to the hospital to meet our new son, Robert Ty Harbin. (Robert after my Dad, and we'll call him Ty.)

Here are the specs on this new model;

6 lbs. 5 ozs.
20 1/2 inches long
Big feet!
A full head of blonde hair.
And a little cleft in his chin. My Mom jokes that we should have named him Kirk (Douglas.) :rolleyes:

This is our first child and we couldn't be more thrilled!...and tired! LOML is on Cloud 9, and that just doubles the joy for me. I've committed to being a father that will not make important life choices for my son or impose my dreams on him. He can pick whatever position in hockey he wants play! :D

Well enough of me rambling, here's the little man of the hour!

Keith Foster
11-20-2005, 5:14 AM
Congrats! You are up late. Now get some shut eye for tomorrow. You're gonna need it!:D

Alan Turner
11-20-2005, 5:24 AM
Wonderful news! I think LN makes a No. 2 smoother -- just a thought for a first birthday present.

Vaughn McMillan
11-20-2005, 5:28 AM
Congrats Pete, from one of your former ABQ homeboys. Talk about going from "couple" to "family" in record time! All the best to you and LOYL.

- Vaughn

Robert Ziegler
11-20-2005, 5:46 AM
How fast can you build a crib?
Congrats - looks like a real rascal.:D

Chris Barton
11-20-2005, 6:04 AM
Congratulations! Nothing compares with parenthood!

John Bailey
11-20-2005, 7:03 AM
Pete,

Super!! I hope you've been following Jim Becker's post on adoption. You guy's will have a lot of experiences to share.

Forget the crib, when are we going to see a mini hockey stick.

About Alan's comment, LN also has a neat little #1 Bench Plane that I think would be much more appropriate. And if you don't have room for it in the new crib, send it to me and I'll keep it in good shape till the little tyke needs it.

Seem to have a lot of "Sawmill Springs" popping up these days.

John

scott spencer
11-20-2005, 7:04 AM
Beautiful baby...congratulations Pete! :)

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-20-2005, 7:28 AM
Congrats to all. :)

The lad will be glad you didn't name him Kirk...he woulda been telling people his whole life that it wasn't Kirt, or Curt. In my case, the hard 'C' of the last name right behind the 'K' is very difficult to say fluidly. Which is why I usually just go with 'KC'. I would've been much happier as Ray Jr.

KC

Jim Hager
11-20-2005, 7:38 AM
Congratulations on the new family member. Raise him up in the way he should go and when he is older he will not depart from it. Glad you guys got him.

Ken Shoemaker
11-20-2005, 7:38 AM
Best of wishes to all of you.... Great news.... Handsom young man.....

Randy Moore
11-20-2005, 8:31 AM
:D :D :D :D :D Congrats on the new addition. I know you will have lots of enjoyment with him:) in the next 60+ years.;) Looks like a cutie too.

Randy

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2005, 9:58 AM
Congrats and enjoy. Kids are a joy and now we have grandkids. Beautiful looking baby.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2005, 11:45 AM
As the father of 2 adopted children, now young adults, I can tell you that sweat and tears are thicker than blood! Congrats to both you and the LOYL! Forget hockey and WW, your free time is shot! We'll hear back from you in 25 years! Again........Pete..........Congrats! Life is extremely good!

Kelly C. Hanna
11-20-2005, 11:52 AM
I was adopted not long after my birth (60 days). I am sure you are every bit as happy as my mom and dad were! Congrats!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Congradulations, Pete.

This Grandpa and Grandma to be are waiting along with our son and daughter-in-law to receive the same kind of bundle of joy, too.

Bruce

Joe Unni
11-20-2005, 2:08 PM
Pete,

Congratulations!

Be prepared for the toughest job you'll ever love!

Best to mom and Ty,
-joe

Dave Ray
11-20-2005, 2:52 PM
Super early Christmas present. What a great looking little guy. Here's wishing you, your wife and Ty, the happiest of lives. This kind of gloat beats all.

lou sansone
11-20-2005, 3:29 PM
great news.. congratulations and may God Bless
lou

Tyler Howell
11-20-2005, 3:58 PM
I'm honored to share his name........:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .
Congrats that truely is a wonderful gloat

Pete Harbin
11-20-2005, 5:11 PM
Thank you so much guys! I just showed Jill my posting and all of your responses. She never reads the site and just started tearing up at all your well wishes and your own adoption experiences. We have been so blessed. We have an amazing group of friends that have rallied around us to celebrate and pretty much do anything and everything for us. All we do is love on this little guy.

We've actually known our adoption case worker for about 15 years (from back in our college days) and she has pulled all the stops to getting all the legal counceling done and hopes to have all the initial court procedings done before Thanksgiving. She even arranged to have the attorney representing the birth parents come to the hospital yesterday and hold all of the initial counceling meetings with them. Everything just seems to be falling right into place. This is one of the most thrilling momments in my life. It's amazing that it only took one momment to fall in love with this little guy, and now he is the center of our world...and we're happy to have it that way. :D

Thanks again guys! You're always so generous with your words, thoughts and prayers. I love this place!

Jim Hager, I hear you brother.

Pete

Tom Hamilton
11-20-2005, 5:23 PM
Great news, congrats. Ty and you all will make a great family. Enjoy the ride. Best regards, Tom

Dan Forman
11-20-2005, 5:28 PM
Congrat's on this momentous event. Sounds like you are off to a fine start in every way.

Dan

Von Bickley
11-20-2005, 5:30 PM
Pete,
Looks like you have a great looking son...

Congratulations to "The Harbin Family".:)

Kent Cori
11-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Now that is definitely something to gloat about Pete. Congratulations! both of my children are adopted and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I know you and your wife are really going to enjoy your new son. Now you'll need to find one of those plastic hammer rattles so he can start on his own woodworking career! :)

Scott Berg
11-21-2005, 1:46 PM
Congratulations Pete!

Your life will never be the same and I say that as a good thing.

Bruce Page
11-21-2005, 5:38 PM
Pete, congratulations to you and your LOYL! Ty is a very hansome young lad! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

John Scarpa
11-22-2005, 9:19 PM
Great news! Congratulations

Martin Lutz
11-23-2005, 9:46 AM
Congrats Pete! We have 6 month old and he is just a joy. Enjoy this time with him.

Corey Hallagan
11-23-2005, 1:39 PM
Congrats to both of you Pete. Enjoy, they grow up soooooo fast. My daughter will be 9 today!

Corey

John Shuk
11-23-2005, 3:58 PM
I too was adopted at birth. It was prearranged. My mother already had 4 boys and guess what. I was number 5! What are the chances?

John Shuk
11-23-2005, 3:59 PM
Congrats! To you and your wife and to the baby. He is beautiful and he's just as lucky as you both!

Michael Gibbons
04-23-2006, 3:58 AM
Way to go Pete! love and affection and a little direction go a long way.

Philip Duffy
04-23-2006, 6:07 AM
Fantastic looking child! Congratulations and preserve the child, not the stick. Phil

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-23-2006, 6:54 AM
Congrats on the new family member, you are doing the right thing!

God Bless you all! :D

Keith Cope
04-23-2006, 7:12 AM
Congrats Pete!
Boy oh boy your life is about to change! We just got one of those about 8 months ago...I think I still have a shop downstairs! Seriously, though, spend lots of time with the little guy, he'll change every day. Have fun!

Keith

Bob Rufener
04-23-2006, 7:44 AM
My congratulations for your new "gloat". A wonderful one at that. Your lives will be forever changed-and for the better. Some day, after he is grown up, you'll look back and wonder where the years went. Enjoy the dickens out of him. :) :) :)

Jim W. White
04-23-2006, 8:52 AM
My congratulations and prayers go out to you and your family!!

George Carion
04-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Lucky you! Babies are cool.

Art Davies
04-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Hello

Congratulations, may this little fella bring you all the joy in the world. As well he’ll grow far faster than you will ever want to admit, so get him his little tool belt, as he’ll be helping you in the shop before you know.

Again Congratulations. :D
<O:p
Art

Ron Robinson
04-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Pete,

I've always said life is a roller coaster. The first hill up is your life before kids. Right at the crest the baby comes. Hang on after that, but what a ride!

Congratulations to you and your wife. Most important...Enjoy your children.

Ron Robinson

Dan Stuewe
04-23-2006, 2:22 PM
Sometimes the adoption process just seems to go this way (similar experiance with some friends of ours). Blessings to you and your family. But do remember, part of being a great dad is to impart your lessons and leadership to your wife and children. You're not his best friend, you are his father - especially for the first couple of decades.

Have fun!

Pete Harbin
04-23-2006, 3:17 PM
Keith,

When I saw your avatar picture I just had to post this. This is one of my favorite early pictures of Ty. He was about 3 weeks old.
My sister-in-law scoured the internet to find that picture of Calvin after I described the cartoon to her. This one is still my background picture on my work laptop. :)

Dan,

Excellent advice! My Dad was a Dad, not a buddy, until I left to tackle life on my own. I can't thank him enough for that!

Pete

Dave Mapes
04-23-2006, 6:12 PM
Congratulations! That is the GLOAT of all Gloat. Enjoy each moment as you will be amazed how soon the years will go bye and he is grown.