PDA

View Full Version : Moving Mortise and Tenon Table

John McMahan
06-13-2018, 1:32 AM
I am building a shaker style dining table using mortise and tenon joinery. However, when I move, how will I get the table apart? Is there an approach to building this style table while also being able to disassemble it to move it? Thanks.

Charlie Velasquez
06-13-2018, 7:36 AM
Not if you glue the joints.
Qualifiers: there are glues that soften under heat.

Better solution may be to peg the tenons. When it is time to move you can drill a pilot hole in the center of the dowel, drive a screw and pull them out. To that end you should make a quantity of extra pegs, finish them and store them under the table so the wood, grain, and finish match later.

Dave Richards
06-13-2018, 8:30 AM
You could leave the tenons loose in the legs and only for alignment. Use corner brackets to attach the legs. Like these from Rockler. (http://www.rockler.com/kerf-mount-corner-brackets-for-table-aprons-kerf-mount) These brackets have been used for tables for many years and they work. I'd be inclined to exchange the nut that comes with the bracket for a nylon insert lock nut.

glenn bradley
06-13-2018, 8:46 AM
As stated, furniture designed to be broken down for easy transport follows different rules than fixed pieces. There are brackets, braces and mechanical hardware available to meet that need. the corner braces Dave R shows are a good example. Building a piece to meet the purpose is one of the enjoyments of the craft. Just because it strays from "traditional" joinery doesn't make it any less of a piece.

Brian Holcombe
06-13-2018, 8:47 AM
Engineer it to be made with demountable joinery. Such as tapered pegs which can lock the joinery together.

Greg Hines, MD
06-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Pegs or even lag screws to hold the tenons in from the underside would be easily concealed. Exposed tenons with wedges or pegs if that is a design element. Otherwise, most tables are able to be move fully assembled in a truck.

Doc

Prashun Patel
06-13-2018, 11:26 AM
Do you really have to make all the joints knockdown? I haven't been in a situation yet where doing more than separating the top from the base (which wouldn't be glued anyway) would have made moving significantly easier. The size of your vehicle is dictated by the size of the top, rarely the base.

Without the top, the base can usually be manipulated through and around corners and is quite light.

If you just have to take it apart, then maybe just focus on the long aprons/stretcher joint.

Michelle Rich
06-13-2018, 11:43 AM
Festool Domino has hardware for M&T that you can take apart. Be prepared it is $$$$$$

marty fretheim
06-13-2018, 8:24 PM
+1 on the Domino connectors. I recently used them on a bed I built. Rock solid so far. I used the 700 ones but they have them now for the Domino 500. And yes they are spendy, but would be ideal for your purpose, assuming you have a Domino.

Marty