PDA

View Full Version : Gluing brass to maple...

Phil Winn
11-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I "need" to glue an engraved brass disc to the front of a wooden box---would love to attach it permanently...the finish is Not super-high polish, but more like a "Brusso" hinge. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Phil

Corvin Alstot
11-19-2005, 11:35 PM
I would run a test if you absolutely want to be sure, but 2 part epoxy should work.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Abrate the wood in the exact diameter of the plate. Abrate the back of the plate. apply CA to the back of the plate and press together.

Bruce

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Back in the old days when I was making shadow/presentation boxes on a regular basis, I found the double stick tape provided by the engraver was plenty permanent enough. Once stuck, you'd certainly scar up the woodwork if you needed to get it unstuck.

KC

Randy Moore
11-20-2005, 8:45 AM
Abrate the wood in thexact diameter of the plate. Abrate the back of the plate. apply CA to the back of thr plate and press together.

Bruce

Bruce, I KNOW I am dumb:confused: as a box of rocks but what in the heck is this word "abrate" and what does it mean? I am just a dumb ole sheet metal worker and don't use those big words.
TIA

Randy

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-20-2005, 9:25 AM
He means scuff up the surface...

Lynn Sonier
11-20-2005, 9:28 AM
At the auto parts store, they sell a double sided tape thats made to hold trim on a car. Its not very thick and sticks like mad.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Sorry about that. Got booky there.................also didn't check for booboo's either. Corrected the booboo's and Kirk is correct .........Abrate = scuff/ruff up the surface so that the glue has something to grab onto.

Bruce

Howard Acheson
11-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I believe he meant to use the word "abrade" not "abrate". What he means is to scuff sand the surface to give the adhesive something to adhere to.