PDA

View Full Version : Something to do with...

steven c newman
06-11-2018, 11:53 PM
a few scraps I have? Currently, there are 3 boards 2 x 10 x 17" sitting around, taking up space. May turn these into a small stand of some sort....maybe some creative cutting?

Top may just be a single plank, the rest of the parts can be cut from the other two planks..4 aprons? 4 fancy legs? maybe some resaw stuff?

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is working on the details......like how to do curved feet.....we'll see...

steven c newman
06-12-2018, 9:09 AM
Ever walk past those cut-off bins at the BORGs? Where sections of boards that were too long for a customer and were cut off, go? Some places sell stacks of these pieces, at a very cheap price..

Well, the 2 x 10s in the shop were all from planks that were too long for the project's needs. Knot free, and flat....too dang big to toss in the burn pile. Yet, IF they can be cut into usable parts......

So, this will be about those. IF you happen to have a stack of cut-offs back in the corner of your shop....arrange them around a bit, and see if a cut here, a resaw there, would make a few parts for a small, useful little project. Whatever wood, or woods you have... Maybe a bunch of "sticks" can be arranged into a fancy cutting board? Maybe a Plant Stand? Maybe a chance to try out different types of joinery?

IF I can get moving around this morning, and the camera is willing, I may see what I can "Conjure up"........if anyone wants to follow along? No rush..haven't finished my Mountain Dew yet...only one eyeball is awake.....may need both to do something...

steven c newman
06-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Roh-Kay...here is what I am going to use...up
There IS a large knot in one of these....will try to work around that...
Well, well....the tool well has been cleaned up.....
Chisels been put away....may need to make a second row of holders..sometime...
Bandsaw to rip four leg blanks...center one will have other uses....
Another rip cut....then..
A few more.....using the first cutoff as a pattern...
One leg has been done, cuts were on just two faces....now, after the other three blanks are done, will need to smooth things out a bit..
See attached thumbnail ( I did NOT do that, was to be part of this reply) for the tools to be used.

Maybe after Lunch, I can get the other three cut, and smoothed out...and avoid any "Thumbnail" stuff...
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
06-12-2018, 4:55 PM
Got the other three legs cut..
Hardest part was keeping track of which way the curve went...
Had to check, and recheck to make sure #4 was going the right way....
Need to rig up a jig, to hold this still, long enough to smooth them out...maybe tomorrow

One of the two planks was free of knots, and splits...instantly became the top.....the other plank was a Knot Farm....decided to resaw the whole thing, trying for a 2" width at 3/4" thick..
And I ripped the wider piece down as well. Sorted through this mess, to find enough decent looking pieces to make 4 aprons with...
Allowed for tenons and a hair extra. Made a mess on the floor..
I also used the Stanley 2246 to cut out all the bad spots..
Sawdust piling up everywhere...
Which left this other pile..
My "Just in case" stash.....just in case I make a mistake somewhere ( who...me?) I can have a spare.

Have an old 3/8" dowel rod in the shop.....may get used to connect the lower part of the legs? Wedged Tenons? :confused:

Planter for this table/stand is about the size of a 5 gal bucket......:eek:

Well, it is a start....stay tuned...(had to go and refill that green can:rolleyes:..)

steven c newman
06-12-2018, 4:58 PM
As for that top.....the planes may work on the underside all the way around....making a bevel.....may try to get to 3/4" thick at the edges.....we'll see.

John C Cox
06-12-2018, 5:14 PM
You are making quick work of it. Looking good!

I was going to suggest a hall/foyer/couch table. Looks like you beat me to it.

steven c newman
06-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Had a "Coughing jag" yesterday....bad one...pulled a few things under the right shoulder blade.....may have a bit of trouble pushing planes around, today.......not sure about pulling spokeshaves, either....

Will see how the day goes.....

steven c newman
06-13-2018, 4:36 PM
Used the planes to stretch out the back a bit...
First pile of the day....2 hours total in the shop was about all I could get it..today....
Aprons have been planed to the same width, and thickness....despite having issues..
Didn't seem to bother the jack plane...
Legs have been planed, spokeshaved, and sanded, now all four are also the same size...
And marked for where the tenons will need mortises at..
Set up to do a beveled edge..
Couple of clamps and a benchdog to hold it still..
Leaving a 3/4" thick edge....1-1/4" back. One down, three to go. More shavings to clean up..
This is from just one bevel? Imagine all four bevels, be wading around in ankle deep shavings...

Coughing started in (OWWW!!!) so swept the mess up, and headed upstairs....maybe tomorrow I can do the over three bevels, and then find out how big the base needs to be...since the bevels are the underside of the stand's top

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
06-14-2018, 9:54 AM
I suppose I should try again today.....IF the back allows.....beveling with hand planes is a bit of work.

Might see IF there is something I could do with the top of the board....or maybe a shelf. Haven't any written plan for this project....other than a picture lodged inside my brain....

Haven't even thought about a finish for it....not sure IF this will be an "inside", or an "outside on the porch" sort of stand...

Might try to at least get the bevels done, today...then go from there...

steven c newman
06-14-2018, 4:38 PM
Have 24 photos from today's trip to the shop...before the legs started cramping up....
Second bevel is done....planes in use?
The #4c is from England...
As for the other two..
Shelton block plane, and a Millers Falls #14.
turned the blank a bit, laid out for the next bevel..

Trying to get that "Crisp Corner" Sellers likes..
Once I got all four bevels done, and the corners crisp...a smooth plane worked things over...
Less dusty than the sanders, this way. Set the top out of the way....except, one last step
Took one of the leg blanks, and marked each location for the legs to go.
Part 2 coming up....stay tuned...

steven c newman
06-14-2018, 4:50 PM
Next step? Needed to mark how long a tenon I could get away with, then mark each apron for length, counting the tenons...
Mitersaw to cut for length. Have better depth stops on the Langdon 75, soo..
I laid out where the shoulder cuts would go, set the depth stops on the Langdon..
Saw down to a stop line, and check it....handle side was a tad shallow, adjusted for a better cut, then made all the shoulder cuts.
Bandsaw to remove the waste...
Time to chop a few mortises..
Have to hang the foot off the side of the bench...laid out for the first "hole" and chopped it..
Kept going until the legs started to cramp up...my legs, that is..
3 mortises are done, and fitted. IF the cramps go away, I can see about a few more....if not, there always be tomorrow....
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
06-15-2018, 1:27 PM
Taking the day off, to heal up. Cramps still sticking around..
Saturday there is a Village-wide yard sale to go to.....one year, I "picked" a $20 Bedrock #606...AND a $20 Stanley S4......the steel version of a Stanley #4....usually some toys, er..TOOLS can be found...

Stay tuned, may get to the shop Sunday....

Mike Baker 2
06-16-2018, 9:09 AM
Knot farm. LOL!
Looks great so far, but I don't understand how the mortises work. Let me see if I can explain.
You built basically a U shaped end piece where the legs are connected by a short stretcher/apron, mortised into the legs. Then you mortised the long stretchers into those same legs. I don't understand how there is any strength to those joints. It seems like the mortises would cut away way too much wood from the legs coming in from two different directions, meeting in the middle like that. I would end up making them meet, and accidentally chopping a huge square chunk out of the middle of the leg. Don't know if I explained it right; I'm just trying to understand the joints and how they work, because eventually I want to learn to build furniture.

steven c newman
06-16-2018, 3:22 PM
If they do meet up, I usually miter the ends of the tenons....Aprons are set back about a 1/16" from the front of the leg. I also use corner blocks to reinforce the corners, AND as a way to attach the top. Legs are 1" square at the top...tenons are 3/8" long. Plenty of room.

Rust Hunting today, trying to get the body to heal up.....
$4 for a 1/2" by 39" BESSEY pipe clamp, with feet and pads on the jaws...
$4 for a Hargrave 3/4" x 48" pipe clamp
$0.50 Craftsman deep reach coping saw, needs a blade. Wood handle.
$1.75 Craftsman 4 x 24" Backsaw....plate and spine are straight, teeth are very sharp...
$1 a pack for a few hinges. With screws...
$4 Millers Falls No. 900, "V" line plane.....decent iron, doesn't looked used. Iron has the Millers Falls logo. Gray body, red frog, one piece lever cap, no decal. May clean it up for sale, later.

Even got the oil changed in the van, today! Legs are better, shoulders are getting there....maybe tomorrow, I can finish that Plant Stand..

Mike Baker 2
06-16-2018, 8:44 PM
Thanks for the explanation.
You have been busy today, and it sounds like it paid off.

steven c newman
06-17-2018, 9:09 PM
Took today off...no rust hutning, no shoptime...too bloody hot...

Mondays the shop is usually closed...but..I need to get this Plant Stand done...as i have been told I need to build a 3 drawer chest of drawers for GrandBRAT #5.....so the 8yr old can put his clothes away...instead of all over the floor...

steven c newman
06-18-2018, 10:10 PM
Well, I WAS just going to clean up that backsaw, and see how it cuts....really, I was...got to looking at that plant stand....decided to try to get it ready for a glue up.....needed a few mortises chopped, one tenon needed trimmed...I think I have almost as much glue on my fingers, as I got on the parts..
Five clamps should be enough?
Fifth one to to pull things square...
Have two blocks I need to cut to size, and notch to fit....Will add a few pilot holes for screws, too...
This is not all that big of a project...
Now, about that saw..
Work in progress....cut is glass smooth, but..on my Stanley #2246 miter box, saw acted like it was too short....re-measured..yep, a 4" x 22"..
Might have just the box for it..
Might be better than that 14" saw? Will work on this when I have time....

steven c newman
06-19-2018, 3:19 PM
I suppose I had better finish this thing up....starting a trial with a blood thinner this weekend.....then later, something called a Watchman may get installed...after they freeze away section...

May head down to the shop, and get the forest of clamps off. Drill a few holes, and do a couple block installs.

Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
06-19-2018, 5:37 PM
Be very careful with the blood thinners, my friend.
Best of luck to you.

steven c newman
06-19-2018, 6:12 PM
Yep, sharp metal objest and blood thinners do not play nice together...

On a brighter note....how about a PIP?
Trying to get things done....waiting on the Boss to decide what colour paint she wants...
Leg details. Long dowels are 1/2"....end ones are 1/4"...ran out of the larger ones..
Top details. Counting on paint to cover the screws.
Kind of a tiny thing.....have a feeling that this..
Will be the planter used...out on the porch.

Will have to wait and see if any more Projects get done.....other than fixing me up...thanks for looking in..

Mike Baker 2
06-19-2018, 6:33 PM
You are right about them sharp objects.
That is lovely, per usual. Lemme guess; milk paint?
Got a friend who loves the stuff.
I would leave that just as it is, with some clear poly over it, screws or not.
But yep, ya gotta please the one you made it for.

Frederick Skelly
06-19-2018, 7:35 PM
Nice project! Love the legs!