PDA

View Full Version : OT: Search term for "Band saw" or bandsaw

Bill Dufour
06-11-2018, 12:03 PM
I am having a hard time searching ebay and craigs list for "band saw" or bandsaw. I know how to do a either or search inside parenthesis. Bandsaw one word is about 3/4 of the postings but it misses "band saw". because "band saw" is two words the either or search does not seem to work.
Probably need some quotes in there somewhere.
Bill D.

Doug Hobkirk
06-11-2018, 12:55 PM
To search for a Rikon bandsaw, type -
rikon (bandsaw,band saw)
If you add quotes to <band saw>, it will treat the words as one word, but it's not needed within the example above.
HTH

Earl McLain
06-11-2018, 1:47 PM
Don't forget to try Ban Saw and/or Bansaw. I've gotten a few deals by using misspelled words in my search. Usually on purpose, but sometimes I just messed up and got lucky!!
earl

Mark Gibney
06-11-2018, 2:07 PM
I do what Earl does. I've searched for vices using "vice" and "vise", and got lucky, in the right way.

Van Huskey
06-11-2018, 2:10 PM
Doug got you sorted out on the syntax.

Aside from that, I use Searchtempest for Craigslist to quickly search the entire area I am willing to drive to. With eBay there is far too much bandsaw/band saw stuff to just stay generic I add the brands to my searches. With CL it is best to set up alerts though as the good deals often go really quickly.

Phillip Mitchell
06-11-2018, 10:46 PM
I too have experienced the pain of having to search like this.

Bruce Wrenn
06-12-2018, 8:25 AM
On CL, use band saw, then next combine words to bandsaw. Also do the same with ban saw. I often look at Kitchen Aid mixer, and by combining the words kitchenaid there are many more choices listed

Jim Koepke
06-12-2018, 3:33 PM
Don't forget to try Ban Saw and/or Bansaw. I've gotten a few deals by using misspelled words in my search. Usually on purpose, but sometimes I just messed up and got lucky!!
earl

You would be surprised by the number of deals and sometimes high prices under listings like Stanely.

Misspelled searches are a good way to find deals that do not have as many viewers or bidders.

Bandsaw brought back 11,820 results, if that isn't getting what your looking for, maybe what you want isn't available.

jtk