PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2018, 7:08 AM
11 Jun 2018

Greetings,
No woodworking this past week as I spent a lot of time at the day job as well as working on things around the house trying to get the garden under control. I don't deal with the summer heat and humidity very well so my time outside is limited. When I was much younger, I'd work like a horse outside, but since I had a mild heat stroke from working out in the heat, I've struggled with working outside in the hottest parts of the day. So now, I have to work smarter and not harder. :)
I'm off work today and plan on getting my new grinder with CBN wheels setup and my old grinder setup for general sharpening for carbon steel and lawn mower blades. As of this morning, I'm down 17 pounds in weight and have 68 pounds more to go to meet my liver doc's goal for weight loss and health improvement. It sucks getting old. :)

Well, that's it for me....so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
06-11-2018, 9:44 AM
Sounds like you're going in the right direction with the weight loss, Dennis! Do they make "bibs" that will fit your intended target model-body? :) :D

I had my usual eclectic week...mowing, weeding, cleaning, cooking, driving my older daughter to/from work, more paperwork for my mother, etc. I did get some time in the shop and built a vacuum fixture for a personalized sign product I intend to sell off the CNC, did my semi-annual benchtop cleanup/oiling, built some boxes for Professor Dr SWMBO's honeybees, painted said boxes, reconditioned my paintbrushes, completed an HDU house number sign and a few other things. I also spent some time in VCarve Pro working on some additional marketing samples, but need to acquire a few sign fonts that are more appropriate for the need.

This week will be more of the same and I have a few other small projects I need to move along while doing the "doctor dance" for some things that are bothering me.

Jay Larson
06-11-2018, 12:31 PM
As per usual, another 2 pounds lost this weekend. Not quite on par with you Dennis, good job, but a progression.

I have been working on a platform that will fit in the back of my pickup so that we can do some camping and fit a queen size air mattress back there. Between the wheel wells in is 50", and the mattress is 60". Just a bit too much to squeeze in. So I am making a framework of 2X4s so I can put a couple of pieces of plywood on top of that and fit the mattress in the bed. The plan is to be able the break it down a bit, so the legs fit into some mortises on a framework. And the framework is in several sections, so it fits in the bed. I have a tent that fits on top of the bed of the truck. Normally, we use a camper, but the trip this upcoming weekend is an off roading event, so I will be hauling my Jeep instead of the camper.

The reason the pounds came off was this weekend's project. I put in the walkway from the garage to the outbuilding. It ended up about 3' wide by 25 feet long. We had a pile or three of stones that we save from the house excavation and used some of those. Plus my fiance had scrounged a few that were probably caps from a stone wall. Anyway they were rectangular, so they worked out as pavers. Dug down 4-5", compacted the soil, put in 2 1/2" of gravel, compacted that, and laid out the stones. Then I filled the gaps with more gravel.

Then yesterday morning, my fiance's father showed up with a pickup bed half full of plants. They were 1/2 off at WalMart. So I put in a couple of arbor viteas, and she planted a half dozen flowers.

Wayne Lomman
06-12-2018, 7:24 AM
Continued work on the kitchen floor. I was working on it just now but the dust collection has failed so I am doing this rather than face the wrath of the ladies who don't want to asphyxiated for some reason... It's about half done sanding and seal coat. It has never been sanded before. The colours are pretty random as it was only ever utility grade plus it has 60 years of abuse. I will post a picture tomorrow when I am at a computer. Cheers