PDA

View Full Version : Very old recording time-corrected.

Bill Jobe
06-11-2018, 5:10 AM
I think this is a fascinating technology, but having just stumbled across it a day or so ago, perhaps it's last week's news. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn close.
They manage to correct the speed of the footage while at the same time producing a very sharp image.

https://youtu.be/aohXOpKtns0

Frederick Skelly
06-11-2018, 6:27 AM
I enjoyed that. Thanks!

Edwin Santos
06-11-2018, 8:45 AM
I can only wonder what the people in those film reels would have thought if they could have glimpsed the future and seen the world we live in!
Thanks for sharing it.
Edwin

Bill Dufour
06-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Oldest recording, 1860, 50 years before your film: link below. It was never designed to be listened to just squiggles on paper to be studied. similar to a seismograph recording.
Bill D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRXayuBa7ZI

Yonak Hawkins
06-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Whoever fixed this did a fantastic job. The sound and action seem very normal which is unusual for this vintage of flick.

It's notable that everyone is wearing hats and they're just coming out of the fashion age where everyone was wearing black. While still a lot of black, there is quite a bit of light colored clothing as well.

Andrew Joiner
06-11-2018, 2:05 PM
Wow cool video! The horse droppings everywhere must have been a normal part of life. The people walking over them didn't even look down to avoid stepping in it. The woman mostly wore white dresses long enough to wipe there heels:confused:.
I see why the shoe shiners at 5:00 minutes in were so packed with customers!

Yonak Hawkins
06-11-2018, 2:27 PM
I read somewhere that 100,000 horses in New York City in the late 1800s caused a manure crisis requiring the removal of 13 tons of manure daily.

Edwin Santos
06-11-2018, 2:42 PM
I read somewhere that 100,000 horses in New York City in the late 1800s caused a manure crisis requiring the removal of 13 tons of manure daily.

Nowadays the manure crisis seems to be in Washington D.C.

Andrew Joiner
06-11-2018, 2:58 PM
Nowadays the manure crisis seems to be in Washington D.C.
Made me laugh out loud!

Bruce Page
06-11-2018, 3:03 PM
Great video! Clothiers sold a lot of suits back then.
Here’s another classic walk through time, a trip up San Francisco’s Market Street in 1906.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRbMMqj0qw

Andrew Joiner
06-11-2018, 3:48 PM
Great video! Clothiers sold a lot of suits back then.
Here’s another classic walk through time, a trip up San Francisco’s Market Street in 1906.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRbMMqj0qw

fast forward to 2017:
https://youtu.be/bembJahfx4w

Perry Hilbert Jr
06-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Speaking of Washington DC. The city was built in a malaria infested swamp. Conditions were so reprehensible that British diplomats received tropical hazard bonuses with their pay. The roads were mud pocked with pot holes. In certain down town areas, streets were covered with wooden block cobble stones. In late July and early August when the summer thunderstorms roll through almost daily, the collection of manure on the wet wooden surfaced streets left everything a fetid stinking slippery mess. The reflecting pond between the Lincoln and Washington Memorials was actually dug out to obtain fill and to drain the swamp. I lived in suburban Virginia for 20 years. When I moved there in the early 1970's, Blacks still had to go to the back of the bus when the bus crossed the Potomac into Virginia.

When I was in high school, we measured the speed of a falling object by having it pull a strip of paper over a pully with an ink spot on it. As the paper fed through, each revolution of the pully made a single spot on the paper. I forget the fine points of the rest of the experiment, but we figured it out with 99% accuracy.

Tom Stenzel
06-13-2018, 11:59 PM
What is really noticeable is the haziness of the air in all of the long views. Electric generation was probably local, I looked through my 1912 Standard Wiring book to see if AC or DC was dominant at the time but couldn't pin down what New York was up to at the time. Plus any manufacturer in the city had their own coal fired powerhouse to run equipment.

The auto shown smokes- a lot. How much did cars smoke? For an example see the 1913 short The Speed Kings:

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=69190

The short itself is silly and a bit of a waste. Race buffs will want to skip to 1:30 to see a glimpse of Barney Oldfield and other racers of the day, 2:30 to see the start of the race, 4:10 to watch a pit stop (tire change and probably loading another 55 gallon drum of oil). Well, as much as can be seen through all the smoke! It had to be tough if you weren't in the lead.

Luckily in New York the smoke didn't look so bad that you couldn't see what you were stepping in.

-Tom

Bill Dufour
06-14-2018, 12:10 AM
I have read that quite a few horses died in their harness every day. the city had to haul those off as well. When cars first came out in the city they were keep off the property at a shop just like the horses for sanitation and smell reasons. Similar to flush toilets installed in the back yard. who would want a toilet inside a house?
Bill D

James Runchey
06-14-2018, 8:54 AM
Very enjoyable films....what a change from today, everyone dressed in suits, and not a huge person to be seen. Where did we go so wrong?

Rick Potter
06-14-2018, 11:35 AM
What impressed me watching 1911 New York, and 1906 San Francisco back to back, was the change in only 5 years. A lot less horses, and more trucks/cars.

On the Frisco film, it was interesting to see a couple horse and carriage rigs hurry to get in front of the cable car to ride ON the tracks. The streets were still cobblestone in places at that point in time. I would guess they were locally built at the right width.

Also interesting was the Chauffeur driven car with a whole family on board, prominently following the cable car. I wonder if that might have been the Mayor?

I also expected to see a lot of bicycles in New York, but never saw one. Too hilly in SF.

Bill Jobe
06-15-2018, 6:28 PM
Seeing it run at normal speed greatly increases my ability to relate to those people. Here some even older footage and, although the image isn't as sharp, still helps give a feel of being there.
My apologies to anyone who may have already supplied this link.
https://youtu.be/qr7kRYO29n4

Bill Jobe
06-15-2018, 6:39 PM
Wow! 1860s
https://youtu.be/sVrDv-4aaNI

Bill Jobe
06-15-2018, 9:19 PM
I just noticed the "Shot in 1915" detail.
But still.....

Bob Grier
06-17-2018, 10:13 AM
In 2005 I sent all my super8 film to be scanned, digitized, and converted to, 30fps. They did this, if I remember correctly, by duplicating every x number frame so that when played back it was at the correct frame rate and appeared at the correct speed. I don't think they added frames by creating an intermediate frame out of the frame each side of the added frame.

Then I bought an expensive Adobe suite of tools that included a graphics board that I added to my computer. I edited the digitized film into chapters, dubbed in audio, created menus, and burned DVDs. I also made files that play directly off the hard drive. I had never done this before and only did it one more time but with digital input from a video camera. Higher resolution cameras were just coming out and my equipment does not work at the higher resolution but is good for super8 or non HD video. The equipment and manuals have been boxed up for over 10 years now. It was obsolete soon after I purchased it but is probably ok for the older movies and probably good for scanned slides or photos.

Bob Grier
06-17-2018, 10:17 AM
I just realized that it would be easy enough, with the software I used to digitized edit super8 movies, to duplicate and add frames to correct the speed. When I had the film digitized, the company that did the digitizing, added the frames so I didn't need to do it.

John K Jordan
06-17-2018, 6:57 PM
Excellent visuals, thanks. The mix of the canned audio added was not good to my ears in volume, sync, and realism. For one example, the editor might do well find more than one hoof clop recording and layer them with more appropriate fades.

Bill Jobe
06-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Excellent visuals, thanks. The mix of the canned audio added was not good to my ears in volume, sync, and realism. For one example, the editor might do well find more than one hoof clop recording and layer them with more appropriate fades.

Yes, clearly he/she was focused on image quality with sound being, seemingly, an afterthought.