PDA

View Full Version : Bridge CityTools ....SOLD.............

Dave Lehnert
06-09-2018, 9:34 PM
John Economaki sells Bridge City Tool Works
Sold to Harvey Industries.
Found on a WOOD Magazine facebook post

https://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/2018/06/08/bridge-city-tool-works-three-days-in-january-2018/

Frederick Skelly
06-10-2018, 9:50 AM
Well, good for him! It's always nice to see a guy successfully sell (rather than close) a business he built from scratch. My google-fu is weak this morning and didnt tuen up anything on Harvey Industries in LA. Anyone know what woodworking tools they make? (See Economaki's comment in the announcement).

Simon MacGowen
06-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Good news for John. Harvey has been making BCT Tools (Chinese edition) for a year or two already, in addition to being the producer of the chopstick maker for BCT The US production has been symbolic in recent years and as I see it, Asian machine production will continue to dominate in the time ahead. In fact, China will be the leader of electric cars in 20 years or less given its new policy and investment on those cars.

Simon

Dave Lehnert
06-10-2018, 6:22 PM
[QUOTE= Anyone know what woodworking tools they make? (See Economaki's comment in the announcement).[/QUOTE]

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/

Derek Cohen
06-10-2018, 7:38 PM
As far as I can tell from discussions on the Australian forum over the years, Harvey and much of Laguna come from the same source. Since Harvey is the source ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

John Schtrumpf
06-10-2018, 8:31 PM
... My google-fu is weak this morning and didnt tuen up anything on Harvey Industries in LA. Anyone know what woodworking tools they make? (See Economaki's comment in the announcement).
My guess: http://www.harveymachinery.com/product/13/

John C Cox
06-11-2018, 12:46 PM
It will be interesting to see how things go when John starts being outside of the operation....

The thing is...

How much is the steak worth to customers without John's sizzle? Would people still pay $4,500 for one of the Bridge City bench planes if it's just basically an extra-shiny Luban plane... Even if that's already what's happening - it has John's sizzle...

Making the sort of low volume, hand fitted, special run Boutique tools that are (nominally) hatched and sprouted from John's brain doesn't necessarily translate well to an overseas import contract manufacturer..... I think the "Value" of the tools goes way down once John is out and it's cool looking stuff made in China... You can get some really cool looking stuff made in China cheap on Amazon and way cheaper still on AliBaba...

but.. I could be wrong....

Tony Zaffuto
06-11-2018, 1:17 PM
I looked at their website for many years, couldn't come to grips with pricing or styling, let alone the utility of some of the designs. My thoughts are the majority of BCT tools were just displayed by "money is no object" goomers that fancied themselves woodworkers. Since so few of their tools were used, this would also explain their customer service was lacking-they simply did not need a robust system!

As far as China goes, they have products now produced that are the equal of any nation, though you still have to pay the price!

Simon MacGowen
06-11-2018, 1:23 PM

I can speak only to my experience with my neighbor's chopstick master (made in China), the brainchild of John. If John had marketed the Chinese kit as a US-made kit, no one could tell it was made in China, from design to material to finish. The matter of truth is the quality difference between a US made product and an Asian (China included) inport can be zero or even the difference could work in favor of the imported product, which was true for a bbq stove I bought at Walmart: I picked one made (assembled?) in USA over a slightly better priced Chinese stove. But the upper grill kept falling off because of a poor design.

Of course, if one is buying BCT tools because of John's involvement or because it is US made, prices alone won't be the determining factor, and Harvey will be selling the BCT copies mostly to a different group of consumers. Harvey certainly knows this and has probably factored that in in the offer he reached with John.

Simon

Malcolm Schweizer
06-11-2018, 2:22 PM
I hope they paid too much for it, because I certainly paid too much for my Bridge City scratch awl that bent on the first use, and my small square that the factory glue caused to corrode around the edges.

Mike Wilkins
06-11-2018, 2:41 PM
Here's hoping that design and manufacturing stays in the Bridge City. If it does then all will be well.
I also agree that some of their tools are pricey; but quality does not come cheap. I have several and use them for their intended purpose-measuring and marking wood in the making of wood goods.

John C Cox
06-11-2018, 6:45 PM
No doubt that is why John has stayed on for now.... And I am sure the connection to Harvey will help some of his production troubles...

And perhaps that pushes the balance more towards John doing "Fun stuff" and letting Harvey'sorder fulfillment and front office folks do what they do..

I have a warm spot in my heart for guys like John... The trouble is that often all the horrible administrative stuff required to run a good business grinds them up and saps the life and creativity out of those fellows...

john zulu
06-13-2018, 1:52 AM
The table saw and the lathe from Harvey looks really good. Not sure of the rest of the tools from them.

Derek Cohen
06-13-2018, 2:17 AM
Harvey have a very good reputation in Oz. Their table saws are often preferred to those from Laguna. I was considering one not that long ago.

BC have a strong working relationship with Harvey, and that speaks greatly about their quality levels. Under Harvey, I doubt we will see a change in quality, although we may see an increase in quantity.

Regards from Perth

Derek

john zulu
06-13-2018, 3:57 AM
Harvey have a very good reputation in Oz. Their table saws are often preferred to those from Laguna. I was considering one not that long ago.

BC have a strong working relationship with Harvey, and that speaks greatly about their quality levels. Under Harvey, I doubt we will see a change in quality, although we may see an increase in quantity.

Regards from Perth

Derek

What TS do you use now Derek? Is the bandsaw your favourite machine?

Derek Cohen
06-13-2018, 5:21 AM
John, if you visit the Oz woodworking forum, you will find huge support for the Harvey range of table saws. They are considered exceptional value-for-money in the middle range of table saws for the home shop. They range from about $2000 AUD to $5500 AUD.

This one (https://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/woodworking/saw-cutting-machines/tablesaws/harvey-hw110se-30-tablesaw-590/) was $3500 (3 hp) ...

https://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/a284ad3693e86094885231980d1fee06/h/w/hw110se-50.jpg

The similar SawStop (https://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-and-accessories/tablesaws-and-accessories/tablesaws/sawstop-professional-saw-with-30-premium-fence) PCS is $4300 AUD ...

https://www.carbatec.com.au/images/ProductImages/500/SST-PCS30PREM.jpg

I began looking at the SS with 36" GlideRail plus sliding table. In the end I wound up with a Hammer K3 slider around October last year.

I have had the Hammer N4400 bandsaw for about 7 years now. I also have a Hammer A3-31. I do not have a favourite machine (although I am in awe of what they can do). They each have a place in the chain.

Regards from Perth

Derek