PDA

View Full Version : New Fine Woodworking...Smalser

Mark Singer
11-19-2005, 8:20 PM
I got the new FWW and Bob Smalser has a great article on chisels! Thats our Bob! Congradulations!

Bob Smalser
11-19-2005, 9:01 PM
It was fun, thanks.

I was frank about what newcomers need to buy and what they don't, IMO. As the article's theme was "We tell you what the manufacturers don't.", I was pleasantly surprised at the forthright approach I was allowed. The only thing that got cut was a 7th page on rehabbing fleamarket oldies ILO buying new, and that was for space....it was already two pages longer than any other article in the mag, and it's reasonably obvious none of the chisels hanging in my shop were made after WWII.

Senior Editor Andy Engel and Art Director Mike Pekovich are the guys responsible for the neat presentation and layout....I just wrote the words. The premium Barr chisels we used in the photo shoot were Mike's personal set.

We'll see how the non-shill approach is received.

And no, none of us involved got to keep all those new chisels. Strict publisher policy, and a good one.

Dan Forman
11-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Congrat's on the article Bob, I will have to wait for it to hit the retail shelves before seeing it though. Your absence from the site has not gone without notice, hope all is well.

Dan

Tom Hamilton
11-19-2005, 10:28 PM
My FWW arrived today and I saw your article I thought, I "know" him, he's a Creeker.

Excellent article, heck all your postings are excellent, why wouldn't a full FWW article be also. :)

Thanks for sharing you wisdom and knowledge with us at the Creek.

Best regards, TJH

Ken Fitzgerald
11-19-2005, 10:54 PM
That's why I affectionately refer to SMC Bob Smalser as Professor Bob! I always learn a lot from his postings or in this case his article! Congrats Bob!

John Bailey
11-20-2005, 3:44 AM
Last time I saw a post from Bob he was up to his whatever in house and shop building on some beautiful acreage. Wonder why we haven't seen any pictures recently? Hint!! Hint!!

John

Dave Anderson NH
11-20-2005, 8:00 AM
Late yesterday afternoon as I got home from our guild meeting on sand shaded inlay presented by Janet Collins of the North Bennett street School I checked the mailbox. There was the FWW Tools and Shops issue waiting for me. Gee Bob, the picture of you was much cleaner and clearer than the one posted here. I thouroughly enjoyed the article on chisels and was impressed at the amount of space the editors allowed you. Your tutorial on choping a mortise was the most cogent one I have ever seen. Short, clear, and simple. The lack of verbose and extraneous verbiage makes it easy for anyone to try their hand and get good results. It is a great service to those just beginning. Congratulations!!!!!!

Paul Erickson
11-20-2005, 11:07 AM
It was fun, thanks.

I was typically blunt about what newcomers need to buy and what they don't. As the article's theme was "We tell you what the manufacturers don't.", I was pleasantly surprised at the forthright approach I was allowed. The only thing that got cut was a 7th page on rehabbing fleamarket oldies ILO buying new, and that was for space....it was already two pages longer than any other article in the mag, and it's reasonably obvious none of the chisels hanging in my shop were made after WWII.

And no, none of us involved got to keep all those new chisels. Strict publisher policy, and a good one.

Congratulations Bob,

Will it be possible to see the page on rehabbing some time some place?

cheers, Paul

Roger Bell
11-21-2005, 3:36 PM
Indeed....the "no shill" approach was VERY refreshing to see. Not even a mention of those "must-have LN's", or of any other brands, for that matter.........for a change.

This article redeemed the "Tools and Shops" issue as something to look forward to. Nice work, Bob...........thanks.

Jerry Palmer
11-21-2005, 3:53 PM
As luck would have it my copy of Moxon's Mechanick Exercises . . . was in the mailbox along with my FWW, so my attention was immediately focused on Moxon's book and I learned Bob's article was in that issue second hand on another forum.

Great article, Bob, and to the very crux of the matter as is your normal practice. Glad they let you have most of your way with it.

Zahid Naqvi
11-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Congrats Bob, I have always enjoyed your postings and have learned quite a lot from them.

John Scarpa
11-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Great job Bob. I'm looking forward to the article. This was a natual for you as you've been a great source of knowledge here at Sawmill Creek.

David Fried
11-23-2005, 9:16 AM
My FWW arrived Monday but I didn't check the mail until Tuesday.
Wednesday morning I finally got a chance to thumb through it
and start to read Bob's article. Boy, he cleans up nice!:D Guess
that explains his new avatar. Looks like he even cleaned up the
shop!! So far the article is good read. Since more chisels are
definitely in my future I'm sure I'll be referring back to it. Thanks
Bob - As always, good work. Hey, post an update on the house and
fish farm!

Dave Fried

Gary Herrmann
11-24-2005, 7:25 PM
Very well written. I'll have to remember to get it out when I buy some mortise chisels.

Gail O'Rourke
11-24-2005, 9:13 PM
Bob, I am positive that your reputation secured an incredible article, I will have to renew my subscription, but be sure that I will pick up this on the newstand ASAp, can't wait to see it.

Jim W. White
11-26-2005, 6:58 PM
Bob,

I finally got some ME time and sat down wih the FWW. Your article is outstanding! Now I know what to keep my eyes open for as try to locate some mortising chisels! (from your guidance and my take on what I'd most readily use them for in my shop, I'm now going to hold out for some nice long millwright style irons :D )

Thanks,

Jim W