PDA

View Full Version : Time to pay attention

Chris Fite
11-19-2005, 7:25 PM
I fired up my Gorilla yesterday with the ductwork all installed and taped with metal tape. Works great. I learned an interesting thing about my setup. The dust collector and the table saw make just about the same sound at the operator's position at the table saw. I found that I had forgotten that the saw was running, after making some repetitive rips. I looked down and saw the blade still running under the guard.

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2005, 7:33 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I did the same thing when I got the new HF DC. It makes about the same sound as my bench top saw. I turned to pick up some lumber to put on the crosscut sled and found I had forgotten to turn off the saw.

John Miliunas
11-19-2005, 7:39 PM
Yikes! You guys need either, a louder table saw or a muffler for your DC!!!:D Glad you noticed it before any damage to your person or material occurred! Be careful out there!:) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2005, 8:46 PM
John I moved my switch and am putting a foot switch like David Marks has on his so you can kick or nudge it and the saw shuts down. Also moving the DC to another corner so the saw is not sitting right next to it. I think this will help.

John Miliunas
11-19-2005, 8:57 PM
John I moved my switch and am putting a foot switch like David Marks has on his so you can kick or nudge it and the saw shuts down. Also moving the DC to another corner so the saw is not sitting right next to it. I think this will help.

A handy kill switch is a great idea, Bernie! :) Is your DC setup with a "system" or do you basically move it from one location of the shop to another? If it's permanent, you might consider building an enclosure around it with some soundproofing. It would help avoid situations like that, as well as provide for a little more enjoyable environment. :) In my former shop, mine was in a permanent area, with 4" PVC ducted to the machines, but alas, the only reasonable place to put it was quite near my breaker box and one of the entry doors. Closing it in was not an option, so I know the sound level you speak of! Good luck with it and again, be careful!:) :cool: