PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a Delta sander to 120 from 240

Howard Henderson
06-08-2018, 7:09 PM
Hi All -

I’ve got a Delta combination 12 inch disc, 6x48 belt sander and need to change it to 120 volts.

The data plate on the motor showed the proper way to rewire the leads. And I moved the transformer primary pigtail from the 230 tap to the 200 tap (per the Rockwell 24 volt magnetic motor control document).

But the motor seems to not be getting any power is (it would barely spin when I first tried it before realizing it was on 240 and me rewiring). If I manually push the contractor it will hum, but not spin.

Am I missing some other step? The document says something about change the heater elements in the overload block, but doesn’t really say what exactly to do to change it.

Thanks for any advice,
Howard

Bill Bukovec
06-08-2018, 9:50 PM
Can you post a picture of the data plate?

Bill Orbine
06-08-2018, 10:22 PM
And tell us if you confirm that this sander was working prior to the voltage change.

Howard Henderson
06-08-2018, 11:27 PM
And tell us if you confirm that this sander was working prior to the voltage change.

ha... That's part of the problem. I picked up this poor orphan at a consignment sale. A couple of the trunnions have been cracked and welded, etc, so I don't know much about it, other than it has seen some abuse, but I think it will clean up good... Or hope so, anyway...

I DID get the motor to spin on up - I guess the contactor was just sticky. It seems to groan a bit to get rolling, but really sings once it is up to speed. Would that be a function of moving it back down to 110 volt or should it have plenty of kick to get moving?

But I do have to engage the contactor manually to start it. The on/off switch doesn't kick it on.

How can I diagnose the starter switch?

Here are the two data plates - plus a pic of the starter itself.

Thanks for any advice,
Howard

Paul A. Hopkins
06-08-2018, 11:57 PM
Take the wire off the 200volt tap and connect it to the115volt tap, if the overload is sized for 240volt you will have to change it.

Howard Henderson
06-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Thanks a lot, Paul! That worked fine. I appreciate your advice!

Rollie Meyers
06-12-2018, 1:01 AM
Take the wire off the 200volt tap and connect it to the115volt tap, if the overload is sized for 240volt you will have to change it.

The only reason to use the 200V tap is if going to run it on 208V. The overload relay is GE, so after determining the correct catalog number heater coil / thermal element, use a search engine to find a used or surplus heater coil, save the existing one should one ever desire reconnecting for 240V.