PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Plaque HELP

Bert Kemp
06-07-2018, 9:17 AM
I was asked by the PGR to make a memorial plaque for a Fallen Soldier/LEO , I engraved it on Plexi and want to attach the plexi to a Cherry base , my thought was to screw it to the cherry base, so I lasered 4 holes in the plexi for the screws, bought some brass screws to do it with but now I really don't like the looks of the screws. Doesn't look very nice, I'd like a better finished look any ideas? oh hole size is .125 and no holes in the base yet just the plexi Thanks

Matt McCoy
06-07-2018, 9:24 AM
You might look at sign standoffs.

Bill Stearns
06-07-2018, 9:46 AM
BERT,
YEA, I'm with Matt - "chrome or brass stand-offs" would seem the solution. (gonna try 'n attach a photo.) - BILL

Bert Kemp
06-07-2018, 11:55 AM
whats the closest to the base stand off can I get, I'd preferably like it flush to the base if thats possible, never have even seen standoffs

Mike Null
06-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Bert
Check the Johnson's Plastics or JDS catalogs for stand offs. Stand-offs lift the acrylic off the base. That does make the award look better than a flush mounted acrylic.387341

Mark Taylor2
06-07-2018, 11:42 PM
What about using cherry wood pegs?

Kev Williams
06-08-2018, 12:23 AM
Don't need standoffs, just pick up some small brass finishing washers from HD, or go online and get some ornamental washers...

And FWIW, of all the plex photo covers I've ever made for plaques, I've never used anything but brass screws and no one's ever complained or asked for something better...

Bert Kemp
06-08-2018, 1:11 AM
Yea Kev I think I'm just gonna use the screws. I went to look for standoffs today but all the ones I found where for use on a wall not a plaque. Someone else said Chicago screws might work, I might look into that but this need to be done in 2 days .,

Don't need standoffs, just pick up some small brass finishing washers from HD, or go online and get some ornamental washers...

And FWIW, of all the plex photo covers I've ever made for plaques, I've never used anything but brass screws and no one's ever complained or asked for something better...

Mike Null
06-08-2018, 6:25 AM
That's why they make Chevys and Cadillacs. There is nice and then there is eye-popping.

James Rambo
06-09-2018, 1:32 PM
What about blind nuts from the front, washers in between wood and plexi and bolts from the reverse side?

Jerome Stanek
06-09-2018, 4:26 PM
you can use the stand off front without the stand off just the screw

David Takes
06-09-2018, 9:02 PM
Get yourself familiar with the Metro Screw Caps from Rowmark. They are a great affordable solution for so many projects like this that can be enhanced with spacers between two or more different substrates. I cut my own spacers out of 1/4" black and clear cast acrylic. Everyone should have this type of item in their mix of fasteners.

Bert Kemp
06-09-2018, 10:35 PM
They would work kinda pricey at 32$ a pack. I ended up using Brass Chicago Screws.
387497Thanks for all the suggestions.

Get yourself familiar with the Metro Screw Caps from Rowmark. They are a great affordable solution for so many projects like this that can be enhanced with spacers between two or more different substrates. I cut my own spacers out of 1/4" black and clear cast acrylic. Everyone should have this type of item in their mix of fasteners.

Bill George
06-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Looks nice Bert.

Bert Kemp
06-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Thanks Bill

Kev Williams
06-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Never knew what 'chicago' screws were till your post, good idea! (the few times I've ever seen them they were used to hold big stacks of paper together)

Mike Null
06-10-2018, 1:50 PM
Good work Bert!

David Takes
06-10-2018, 3:31 PM
That turned out nice Bert.

The Chicago screws are a nice alternative if you can find a source that has them with a nice finish. Most of the time they are pretty rough and not something that would be acceptable for use on a new product. I've used them on some projects. They definitely have their place. Some of the best places to find them with a good finish are leather and saddlery supply houses. I had a supplier whose name escapes me at the moment that had them in many different finishes, such as antiqued, polished, brushed and matte.

Steve Morris
06-10-2018, 6:10 PM
what about mirror screws with dome caps that screw into the fixing screw?

Bert Kemp
06-12-2018, 12:33 AM
Thanks for all the great comments. Ace Hardware had a good selection, I think these were brushed brass, they look really nice.:)