PDA

View Full Version : Sashimono

Brian Holcombe
06-06-2018, 9:03 PM
I thought to post this up, I was commissioned to build a caddy for dorodango. I built it in a style which features removable piston fit sleeve style holders.

https://youtu.be/55vk6fiogHI

Phil Mueller
06-06-2018, 9:57 PM
Brian, love that fit...very nice. I’ll admit I had to look up dorodango. I’m going to have to give that a try next time I’m out playing in the garden mud.

Brian Holcombe
06-07-2018, 7:59 AM
Thank you Phil! It is an interesting art, I believe the Myth Busters team made one a few seasons back

Robert Hazelwood
06-07-2018, 8:51 AM
Somebody is going to put mud balls in that!?

Seriously, excellent work. Love the clean lines and perfect grain, as usual.

Michael Todrin
06-07-2018, 3:22 PM
Chapeu! And a great video

Kees Heiden
06-07-2018, 3:30 PM
Yes that’s way too nice for mudballs!

Christopher Charles
06-07-2018, 5:02 PM
Beautiful as usual and the soft elevator ride will be an asset. What's in the space in front and behind the caddies? Inquiring minds want to know!

Brian Holcombe
06-07-2018, 8:51 PM
Thanks gents! The Dorodango are beautiful works, I only hope to have made something which displays them prominently and gives proper respect to the craft.

Chris, the front area is only there to provide importance to the Dorodango, much like the margin around a painting or print.

Derek Cohen
06-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Brian, that is s-m-o-o-t-h !

Very nicely done!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Christopher Charles
06-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Brian, thanks for the explanation and thanks for sharing such an unusual project.

James Pallas
06-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Well done Brian. Interesting subject. Made me curious so now I'll have to read up about it.
Jim

Mel Fulks
06-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Yes, thanks for posting that. I do understand the quality part!

Vincent Tai
06-08-2018, 3:52 PM
Brian, I have watched the video a few times now and it only gets more satisfying each time. I really enjoy all your humidor and box builds and images, clean and appealing. You could start an ASMR channel just from collecting piston fit footage!

Thanks for sharing,

Vince

Brian Holcombe
06-08-2018, 8:39 PM
Thanks Gents, appreciate the kind words!

Jeff Ranck
06-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Really well done, Brian! We have some phenomenal craftsmen around here and you are definitely one of them!

John Kananis
06-10-2018, 1:22 PM
Brian, your work is amazing as always. I've always been afraid to piston-fit so tightly - worried about seasonal changes and too tight a fit over the months... Any trouble ever with this? Is there a way to overcome it or is it only a problem in my mind?

OT: I'm in South Jersey for a while (about 20 min from Princeton) and I've discovered Willard Brothers - planning on visiting some time at the end of this week maybe. Any other suppliers you can recommend? Forgive the off-topic and let me know if this is cluttering your thread. :-)

Again, awesome.

lowell holmes
06-10-2018, 4:58 PM
I can only imagine making one.:)

Brian Holcombe
06-10-2018, 5:15 PM
Thanks fellas, much appreciated!

John, the piston fit in this case can be pretty carefully planned. I used Honduran mahogany, which doesn't move a whole lot and this is going to an area where, if anything the fit will loosen. Even still the piston fit is often done in a way that the sleeve actually expands away from the opening so it is very close at the top but doesn't rub along the sides. It expands only slight but enough to eliminate weird issues.

I keep probably around 20 thousands clearance, enough that seasonal change should not have much effect.

The cabinet I made a few years back, titled Hikido, has three piston fit drawers. The case expands toward the back by about 1/32", it's never stuck a drawer.

Two things must be right for it to work successfully, the opening can't change dimension with the seasons and the drawer sides can't bow. If they're slightly bowed when they're finished I will put the bellied side in toward the drawer interior.

Willard Brothers is definitely worth a visit, also Agincourt (Kevin is the owner) and Mike Quinn Lumber.

John Kananis
06-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Thank you for being thorough, Brian. I understand the concept, will have to overcome my tenacity and just do it once (or more). Will check out those yards, thanks again!

EDIT: Agincourt is a bit further but Mike Quinn is almost equidistant to Willard Bros. I'm in Allentown.

Brian Holcombe
06-10-2018, 10:51 PM
My pleasure, enjoy the lumber hunting.

Mike Allen1010
06-11-2018, 10:42 PM
awesome work Brian- thanks for posting!

Brian Holcombe
06-11-2018, 11:26 PM
Thanks Mike!