PDA

View Full Version : Importing CAD files in corel

Abdul Baseer Hai
11-19-2005, 4:30 PM
Hi All

I need help in importing CAD files with .DXF and .DWG extensions into corel12.

I am having trouble with the .DWG files as the program fails to recognize the filter, though it is associated in the options section.

My high tech client can only send me files with these two extensions and i can only use Corel 12.

Help

Abdul

Lee DeRaud
11-19-2005, 4:50 PM
I've used DXF to get from DesignCAD to Corel, no problem...never tried a DWG file, not sure I have anything that will generate one. Is it a small enough file you can post it here for us to try it?

(Oh, duh...Corel will export to DWG. But I expect it won't have any problem importing a file it generated itself.)

Keith Outten
11-19-2005, 5:19 PM
Corel Draw 12 has problems loading any DWG file that is produced by the latest version of AutoCad. We went through this a few weeks ago and were never able to get the files to load. AutoCad 2000 and version 14 work fine as long as the files aren't huge. Large files that contain lots of layers are a problem for Corel Draw, at least that is my experience lately.

Bruce Volden
11-19-2005, 6:53 PM
Abdul,

I am not well versed in any CAD, however, would it be possible for your client to send the the files saved as an earlier version of A-Cad. Similiar to what Keith was saying??? Maybe this is something Auto Cad will not allow??? Bruce

Abdul Baseer Hai
11-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi All
No, the DWG file is not very big.(I will attempt to attach it)
Is it possible to convert the DWG to a DXF?
I will ask the client to save the file in an earlier version of corel.

Abdul

Lee DeRaud
11-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Ok, I'm getting an "Import Error" tryig to read that file. I'll try it with DesignCAD, but it'll be awhile...have to move upstairs to my "CAD" machine.

Lee DeRaud
11-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Ok, I'm getting an "Import Error" tryig to read that file. I'll try it with DesignCAD, but it'll be awhile...have to move upstairs to my "CAD" machine.No joy: I can open it in DesignCAD...looks like your 7x16 panel, although almost all of the drawing is dimensioning text. I tried exporting it from DC to DXF (AutoCAD2000), HPGL, and DWG (AutoCAD R12), but Corel isn't happy with any of those. Either import errors or a single object 16" wide, 0" high, almost like it's looking at the panel edgewise.

See if they can give you the file as a PDF or even a JPG bitmap: the drawing is simple enough to recreate in Corel in 10-15 minutes using the dimension info on the drawing.

Jerry Allen
11-20-2005, 9:37 AM
file attached is a v12 .cdr

Abdul Baseer Hai
11-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi All

Jerry, you are a life saver. It worked. Please tell me how you did it.
Its people like you who prevent me from terminating my love affair with this forum.

Thank you all for the your input and effort.

Abdul

Jerry Allen
11-20-2005, 8:27 PM
Abdul,
I imported it into TurboCad 1O, and then saved it as a .dxf (exchange).
Then I was able to import it in Draw. The next version (CGS X3) will do a better job than v12 simply because it's newer.
It came in 1/10th scale but that was a minor issue.
Most platforms do not import .dxf/.dwg in the using the same methods, hence the problems. Additionally, Autodesk updates file format with each rev which fouls older parsers, the routines that extract the data.

Augusto O.
11-18-2006, 5:25 PM
Hi all
My name is Augusto, I´m from Peru, sorry but my english is not very good. Other form for solution this problem is export file from Autocad in format EPS, next with Adobe Ilustrator open file and save as Adobe PDF, then import this file in corel draw 12.

I hope help you
Augusto

Abdul Baseer Hai
11-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Abdul,
I imported it into TurboCad 1O, and then saved it as a .dxf (exchange).
Then I was able to import it in Draw. The next version (CGS X3) will do a better job than v12 simply because it's newer.
It came in 1/10th scale but that was a minor issue.
Most platforms do not import .dxf/.dwg in the using the same methods, hence the problems. Additionally, Autodesk updates file format with each rev which fouls older parsers, the routines that extract the data.

You gave me this answer last year and I did not catch the reduction in file size part. I have been having this problem ever since. As i know the actual dimensions of the file, I just multiply the X an Y dimensions with 10

Can you please explain the correct procedure, in Corel X3, to correct the dimensions on a file which comes in at 1/10th the scale??

How do you expand the file 10 times ?? Do you first remove all the dimensioning data.

Abdul

Glen Peters
11-19-2006, 7:56 PM
I had no problem opening the file 16_000007New.dwg (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26237&d=1132457480) in Draw X3 running on Win XP laptop.
I saved the file to my dsktop. I right clicked on it, chose "open with" and selected CorelDraw. It asked what 3D view I wanted and I selected "top". Next it asked about font substitution and I selected the suggested.
It opened but I saw nothing on the screen. Object Manager showed all the elements where there so I selected an object but didn't see the object until I zoomed way out and there it was, just a tiny dot well below my workspace.

Glen

Jerry Allen
11-20-2006, 9:33 AM
Glen,
That "little dot" is actually the main part of the drawing. It has been moved to the extreme bottom because there are extraneous objects at the top of the screen.
Make sure everything is ungrouped. Then select the "blank" area above the "dot" and delete it, or zoom in and selectively delete. Then press F4 which should full screen just the drawing if you have gotten rid of all the extraneous stuff. Select the drawing and move it back to center of the page.

Abdul,
I usually leave the Transitions Docker up, although it is not necessary.
Select everything and use the Scaling tab to scale 1000% (uncheck Non-proportional first). Then lock the text that scaled correctly using the Arange menu. From the Edit menu, use Select All...Text to select all the dims and change them to 10x whatever they were, maybe .2". I'm just guessing here as I did not really look at the file.

Abdul Baseer Hai
11-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Jerry
thanks a lot.
The next time i get a drawing from this client, I'll call you if I am stuck

abdul