PDA

View Full Version : Machinery Decisions

Steve Kang
06-05-2018, 8:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

Looking to get your thoughts on a few machines for a basement workshop. I'm planning on purchasing a jointer and planer or a jointer planer combination unit. Space is not a primary consideration as I feel I have enough room for separates.

So far the contenders are:

King Industrial 8" Spiral Jointer
King Industrial 20" Spiral planer (3hp)
or
Laguna 8" Sheartec jointer
Laguna 15" planer Sheartec (5hp)
or
Hammer A3-41 16" Silent Cutter

Here's what i'm struggling with... The King machines will give me the most bang for the buck. Cost wise they're the cheapest and the planer has the most capacity. However the planer might be a little underpowered (3hp) and at 20" i'd probably be buying more planer than I need (I could also go with the 15" unit).

The laguna machines look like they're a step up. The sheartec heads have more carbide teeth and are a larger diameter when compared with the Kings. The planer has more power and overall the fit and finish appears to be better (?). Though I'm not sure if there are any other true quality differences between the two brands.

As for the A3-41, I've read nothing but good things. 16" is a really good sweet spot for jointer/planer capacity and the machine appears to be very well built. I don't like that the planer bed is lower than a 4-post machine, the ergonomics don't seem great. With a 4-post you have rollers on the top of the unit whereas with the A3-41 I'd be walking boards back and forth.

What would you choose if you were in my position?

Bill Space
06-05-2018, 9:07 PM
While I like separate machines generally, having matching 16” jointer and planer capacities would be ideal in my book.

I would go with the Hammer if money was not an issue. I currently have an 8” jointer and 15” planer. I would really love having the matching 16” widths offered by the Hammer A3-41...

Bill

Mike Heidrick
06-05-2018, 10:46 PM
How hard is it to get the equipment into the basement. That might weigh in on my decision.

Van Huskey
06-06-2018, 12:32 AM
I agree with Bill and Mike...

The 16" jointer overshadows my general preference for separates if room allows. On Mikes side, while getting a ~900 pound machine into the basement can be done it isn't my idea of a fun day.

BTW thanks, by going on the Felder site and looking up the A3-41's weight it has ensured I will get a call from Felder in the next couple of days to see if they can help me with anything!

Steve Kang
06-06-2018, 8:11 AM
How hard is it to get the equipment into the basement. That might weigh in on my decision.

Hi Mike, it's a good callout and is something that I've been dwelling on. I think It'll be difficult but not impossible as the basement is a walkout. The challenge will be with the slope of the backyard, which drops about 12' across the width of the house.

Rod Sheridan
06-06-2018, 8:11 AM
I would go with the Hammer, in fact I did, twice..............regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
06-06-2018, 9:59 AM
Steve, since you have a walkout basement, despite the slope, as long as you can potentially use something very stable like a skidsteer to transport the machinery to the door, you should be ok with whatever you choose.

Of the choices you provide, I'd also go with the Hammer. (or an SCM/Minimax equivalent since that's "my" brand)

You're probably very correct that the 20" King planer is underpowered at 3hp.