PDA

View Full Version : My 15" Upside Down Jointer

julian abram
06-05-2018, 4:58 PM
Flattening 8/4" x 6-7" x 96" cherry with my upside down 15" jointer. Didn't want to but had to dig this big old bear of a planer sled out of storage and put it to use. Six months and still waiting for that backordered G0490X jointer. Told the wife I was going to the Springfield scratch and dent sale this weekend hoping to score 8" jointer of some kind. But I've got to wondering how many other fellows are planning the same thing. Storm the gates at 8am to find a suitable machine in stock and cancel that backorder. Just thinking out loud.

Jim Becker
06-05-2018, 5:47 PM
That seems to have done a fine job with the, um...job at hand. But I do hope you get some resolution on your jointer situation soon!

glenn bradley
06-05-2018, 5:52 PM
When you are looking for alternatives, review your short list of requirements. Parallelogram beds were first on my list followed by a nice long infeed table and a tall fence. For the rare times I joint larger than 8" stock I still use the sled I made years ago. For jointing stock that long you will still need additional infeed and outfeed supports. I would find the planer sled preferable to to that . . . just sayin'.

William Chain
06-06-2018, 9:18 AM
Looks like there are several 8" jointers on CL in your area that might be of better quality than the grizzly unit... There's an old 80's rockwell/delta on there for decent money. Those machines are pretty indestructible and once tuned up do a great job. Can also do a segmented cutterhead on those for cheap as well. Just a thought, if you're sick of waiting on grizzly.