PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a (corded) Drill

Philipp Jaindl
06-05-2018, 2:48 PM
Long story short im looking for a corded Drill, dont have the money to spend on a 400 to 600€ Cordless Makita or Hilti.

150€ Budget should do it i think?
Enough Power for Driving Large Screws and and bigger Drillbits, Keyless or Keyed Chuck?

I got a 25 year old 600W Kress that does work for most things but it just doesnt have the power for bigger Drillbits or driving large screws.

At work I've used some of the more basic Metabo and Makita Drills those are within Budget but not suitable to drive screws, with those it seems to be either all the power or no power, not much of a problem for drilling also the Keyless Chucks have a nasty habit of Slipping with Bigger Drillbits.

Been looking at the Bosch GSB 19-2 RE, seems Solid and has 2 Gears so should work for Driving Screws aswell, Hitachi also has one that i cant remember the Model Number.

Any Recommendations?

William Young
06-05-2018, 6:09 PM
You don't say how much you are willing to spend. However, if you do a search on Amazon.com for "corded drill driver" you will get a pretty long list with various prices and features. I note that one of the first ones on the list is a variable speed Black and Decker with a clutch for under $50.

John Sanford
06-05-2018, 6:49 PM
It sounds like you kinda want the bestest of both worlds. For driving screws with a drill, you really, really want a clutch. That's very rare, Ryobi though does make one. For spinning big bits, you want a hefty drill, which simply don't come corded with clutches.

This, from Makita (https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_16?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD %C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=makita+18v+schlagbohrschrauber&sprefix=Makita+18v+Schla%2Caps%2C278&crid=2LM5BIJZ0LXAV&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amakita+18v+schlagbohrschrauber), for 110 euro, may do the trick.

marty fretheim
06-05-2018, 6:49 PM
Other than really good beer, I'm not sure what's available in Austria:)

lowell holmes
06-05-2018, 6:51 PM
I'm sure there are no Lowes or Home Depot stores in most of Europe.
We are spoiled here in the U.S.

Tom M King
06-05-2018, 7:17 PM
Have you ever driven screws with an impact driver? I don't remember driving a large screw with a drill in decades.

Marc Jeske
06-06-2018, 1:35 AM
For my heavy duty drill. I have a corded USA made Milwaukee 1/2" chuck Magnum.. 5.5 amp.

Purchased new about 14 yrs ago.

I used it last week to drive 350 GRK RSS 3/8" x 7 1/4" screws with NO clearance or pilot holes into 7 1/2" of treated CCA wood , SYP.

Now, it was a 92 degree hot sunny day, and the 350 drives were spread over an 8 hour day... But it drove them like into soft butter with NO overheating.

If I needed another, I would NO question find same on Ebay.

USA made only, for me, but some say the newer china ones are OK.

I rarely use it, seeing as how my Milwaukee cordless does most.. I did used to have a Hole Hawg, but used mostly for BIG holes in framing for plumbing.

Marc

Philipp Jaindl
06-06-2018, 1:30 PM
It sounds like you kinda want the bestest of both worlds. For driving screws with a drill, you really, really want a clutch. That's very rare, Ryobi though does make one. For spinning big bits, you want a hefty drill, which simply don't come corded with clutches.

This, from Makita (https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_16?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD %C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=makita+18v+schlagbohrschrauber&sprefix=Makita+18v+Schla%2Caps%2C278&crid=2LM5BIJZ0LXAV&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amakita+18v+schlagbohrschrauber), for 110 euro, may do the trick.

Well yeah i want something that can do both, just like the Drill i got now only bigger that 25 year old thing most likely doesnt have a Clutch either but the trigger is sensitive enough to be able to drive Screws without any problems, unlike the Metabos i used at work. And by big Drillbits i mean stuff like 15mm+ for all Woods and maybe occasionally 10mm at most in ALuminium. If i have to Drill Steel i can always just go with progressively larger Bits or have a friend do it on a Drillpress.

Other than really good beer, I'm not sure what's available in Austria:)

Just about anything, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Hitachi, Bosch, Metabo etc.

Have you ever driven screws with an impact driver? I don't remember driving a large screw with a drill in decades.

Cant say i have, at work its just all Cordless Drills.

thanks for the answers so far, hoping theres more to come.

Marc Jeske
06-06-2018, 3:19 PM
Philip - Just noticed you are in Austria, so those of us sitting in USA are not aware of what is typically available in your area.

Marc

Tom M King
06-06-2018, 3:53 PM
The big boy in this picture can probably run in any screw, and at only 250 rpm. I bought the little 1/2" right angle Rockwell new in the mid '70's, and its worked every year since. The chuck key is for the 3/4" drill. I also bought a Rockwell 7523 srewdriver back then that had a friction clutch, which was a predecessor to the impact mechanism. That srewdriver finally wore out though.

Use an impact driver for running in large screws, and you won't want to go back to a drill.

lowell holmes
06-06-2018, 4:17 PM
You need to specify the electricity characteristics. My tools run on 120v 60 cycle alternating current.
My table saw runs on 240 v. I do not know what is used in Europe.

Frank Drew
06-07-2018, 2:02 PM
I've always liked Bosch drills but I'm not familiar with recent models.

Philipp Jaindl
06-07-2018, 2:39 PM
Philip - Just noticed you are in Austria, so those of us sitting in USA are not aware of what is typically available in your area.

Marc

Already said i can get the major Brands like DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi, Bosch, Hilti, Fein etc.

The big boy in this picture can probably run in any screw, and at only 250 rpm. I bought the little 1/2" right angle Rockwell new in the mid '70's, and its worked every year since. The chuck key is for the 3/4" drill. I also bought a Rockwell 7523 srewdriver back then that had a friction clutch, which was a predecessor to the impact mechanism. That srewdriver finally wore out though.

Use an impact driver for running in large screws, and you won't want to go back to a drill.

Now thats some Drill, probably one heavy son of a gun, i dont doubt its got some power to it.

You need to specify the electricity characteristics. My tools run on 120v 60 cycle alternating current.
My table saw runs on 240 v. I do not know what is used in Europe.

230 V @ 50hz is what we have for standard outlets, things like Tablesaws, Shapers and so on run on 400V.

I've always liked Bosch drills but I'm not familiar with recent models.

That is exactly why im asking for recommendations