PDA

View Full Version : Metal deep engraving.. I think? Need some help

Wilton Alderman
06-05-2018, 12:30 PM
I am looking to start making custom rings to start but will later expand to engraving timing covers, horn covers, etc for a Harley.

I have done a lot of research on what I need to make the rings and engrave or etch the timing covers etc. but still not very clear on what would get the job done and done very well.

My guess is that for rings like this I would need some sort of Fiber laser? The second one would be a CO2 laser, and the 3rd is just some sort of etching. This is just my best guess with what I have been reading though it seems a CO2 laser may do the rings as well. I am not sure any 1 machine can do more than 1 of these jobs so ultimately i am interested in the rings (Note that all of these pictures are borrowed from the net and I am not looking to copy any images other than ones people give me that they own the rights to, so their own designs or my own designs). I really cannot seem to get good, clear direction on this. I tried searching the forums here and found little info as well.

Any tips, advice, machine recommendations, etc would be especially helpful. I just don't want to order the wrong machine for what I want to do and end up with a several thousand dollar paperweight. I am brand new to this but very interested.

Gary Hair
06-05-2018, 3:39 PM
All three of those "could" be done on a fiber, none but the last on a co2. The reason I put could in quotes is because the ring example was probably cast and would take what seemed like forever on a fiber, it's just not the right tool for that job - unless you want to make less money on a job than you could make flipping burgers at McD's, A LOT LESS. The timing cover would not be a problem for a fiber, I have done a few myself. The last pic is either painted metal or anodized aluminum, either of which are suitable for a fiber. A co2 could do them as well, but a fiber is going to be quicker and will give you better results regardless of the quality of the anodizing.

Wilton Alderman
06-05-2018, 6:31 PM
All three of those "could" be done on a fiber, none but the last on a co2. The reason I put could in quotes is because the ring example was probably cast and would take what seemed like forever on a fiber, it's just not the right tool for that job - unless you want to make less money on a job than you could make flipping burgers at McD's, A LOT LESS. The timing cover would not be a problem for a fiber, I have done a few myself. The last pic is either painted metal or anodized aluminum, either of which are suitable for a fiber. A co2 could do them as well, but a fiber is going to be quicker and will give you better results regardless of the quality of the anodizing.

Thanks, the rings are the main things I would like to do. I will look into casting which I would guess requires a 3d printer (or some great sculpting skills freehand which I dont have) to print a wax template and then make a silicone mold.

That being said, are there any good lasers that work well with the timing covers and possibly will do glass as well? I want to do backs of mirrors so it would be reverse imagine that will show through the front side. I am guessing fiber or CO2 would work on that but again, any tips on a decent machine that is fairly easy to import files? I have someone that can do the art work to import.

Tim Bateson
06-06-2018, 7:51 AM
You are still talking multiple machines. Fiber for the covers & CO2 for the glass. Epilog has a dual laser......HOWEVER... that fiber is a gantry.... which is many, MANY times less powerful than a galvo fiber - trade-offs.

Andrew Stow
06-25-2018, 9:51 PM
To do depth engraving on small metal items like that, it would be cheaper to just build or buy a small CNC mill/router. Watch high school auctions for the little micro mills.

Kev Williams
06-25-2018, 11:56 PM
Whoever did that ring has a lot more time on their hands than I do-- looks like a 1/32 endmill may have done the cutting, and a 1/16 ball endmill did the stippling, or maybe some Paragraver tools were used. I thought maybe it was done by hand with a paragraver, but pretty sure a CNC was involved because the cut width's are very consistent. And, not sure if that ring is a one-off or a casting? A lot of time involved if it's a one-time shot...

The aluminum 'derby cover', the pic is pretty small but the engraving looks done by cutter tool and not laser. And it's possible that it's a casting, there would be a lot of time involved engraving each one.