PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Casework Question

Michael Fross
11-19-2005, 2:51 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm a fairly beginner woodworker (only a few years or so) and have never tried any large casework pieces.

However, I'm thinking about building a new dresser and chest of drawers for my bedroom, but would like to read up more on building this kind of furniture. I'm nervous about not knowing enough about creating joints to handle wood movement, drawer mechanics, etc. Also, with the cost of material being fairly high, I don't want to make any stupid mistakes.

So, I'm wondering if the folks here, of whom I have an unbelievable amount of respect, could recommend their favorite books, websites, or other reference material on the subject, or other

I'm going to go back through my magazines and look for articles, but good reference books have been a great teaching tool for me in the past.

Thanks for reading and any thoughts you may have.

Michael

Chris Barton
11-19-2005, 3:12 PM
Hi Mike,

I think it's great you'er planning such a project. Just a suggestion, try visiting your local library and seeing what books they have available. That is what I did early on. No expense out of pocket and a book about furniture construction written 50 years ago is just as applicable today as when it was printed. If you have any woodworking stores in you area you might want to check out what books they have available. Most will let you look over the books prior to buying and you can at least get an idea about what is important and which books you might want to own as a reference guide. My own personal favorite is "The Complete Manual of Woodworking" by Jackson, Day and Jannings.

Dan Oliphant
11-19-2005, 3:17 PM
Michael,
I found these books to be of value over the years;
"The woodworkers guide to furniture design" by Garth Graves
"Practical design solutions and strategies" compiled by Fine Woodworking, (Taunton books)
Rodale's "Illustrated Cabinetmaking" by Bill Hylton.

There are a ton more I'm sure you will here about.

lou sansone
11-19-2005, 3:19 PM
if you buy only one book in your life ... buy Queen Ann Fruniture by Norman Vandal. it is a treasure trove on information

lou

Chris Rosenberger
11-19-2005, 5:27 PM
I have a good book on the subject. The title is "Chests Of Drawers"
It has some very detailed plans & construction information.
Amazon has it for $16.47.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561584223/103-5821655-1167826?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Chris Rosenberger
11-19-2005, 6:10 PM
I found 2 other books on Amazon that look like they would be of help with your project. They look like very good books.
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction

The Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery

tod evans
11-19-2005, 9:05 PM
michael, i think you can find all the information you require in a book called cabinetmaking and millwork by john l. feirer sbn#870002-075-7 i believe this is out of print but the auction site should have a copy for a few bucks. over 900 pages this is an old school text we had when i was in school. good luck and keep us posted, tod

Mitchell Garnett
11-20-2005, 12:17 AM
michael, i think you can find all the information you require in a book called cabinetmaking and millwork by john l. feirer sbn#870002-075-7 i believe this is out of print but the auction site should have a copy for a few bucks. over 900 pages this is an old school text we had when i was in school. good luck and keep us posted, tod

Amazon has quite a few used copies of Feirer's book at very low prices. www.bookfinder.com also shows a good assortment but at slightly higher prices.

Michael Fross
11-20-2005, 2:36 PM
Thanks all. I picked up Feirer's book for $2.50 from Amazon and have added the tauton slipcover set to my christmas list (shaping, joinery, cabinet construction).

I'll keep you posted as the progress. I'll post some drawings soon for comments.

What a great community. Thanks again.

Michael

Dev Emch
11-22-2005, 5:23 AM
Hi Michael....

In time you will buy dozens of books and some are good and some are not so good. A couple of books I found to be really good are:

1). Fine Furniture by Glen Huey, ISBN 1-55870-593-7. This paperback has color photos, working drawings, instructions and partial completion photos for many 18th century give or take items. Shaker, Queen Anne, Townsend, Chippendale, Chester, Sheraton and Seymour are covered. Each has its own project and the author also covers the use of shop tools and techniques which makes this book a GOTTA HAVE for a new woodworker.

2). American Furniture of the 18th Century by Jeffrey P. Greene. ISBN 1-56158-104-6. This book is loaded with good info on 18th century items including some working drawings, lots of photos, good descriptions and some shop techniques including yet another take on chopping dove tails.

Best of luck in your quest...

lou sansone
11-22-2005, 7:47 AM
I was also going to recommend greene's book, but I will still stand by Vandal's book as being the best overall book that "really" explains how it is done with excellent plans and pictures. Please take a look at it

thanks
lou