PDA

View Full Version : Found Record #6 at yard sale

Richard Hutchings
06-04-2018, 9:39 AM
I paid $10 for it and it's in great shape post 1988 according to my research. Is it worth trying to sell it or did I already pay more than it's worth. I already have a Bailey #6 and I need to stop buying tools I don't need.

Bill Houghton
06-04-2018, 9:59 AM
If it's fairly clean and straight, you should be able to get $40 or even $50 for it if you clean it up and describe it well. When I sell a plane, I test the sole using my closest approximation to a straightedge (a 24" combination square rule) and feeler gauges, so I can describe whether the sole is flat or not - length, across the width, and diagonally. And I sharpen the iron and include a picture of the plane with shavings in the mouth.

You can ship it in a flat rate "board game" box by disassembling it; put the small parts in plastic bags. Few post offices stock the "board game" boxes, but you can order them free from the post office website.

Richard Hutchings
06-04-2018, 10:14 AM
Thank you very much Bill

Jim Koepke
06-04-2018, 11:27 AM
I paid $10 for it and it's in great shape post 1988 according to my research. Is it worth trying to sell it or did I already pay more than it's worth. I already have a Bailey #6 and I need to stop buying tools I don't need.

Checking completed listings on ebay indicate two recent sales for better than $100 + shipping. Both were very good condition.

About the buying of tools that are not needed, Hello, my name is Jim and I'm a rustoholic...

jtk

Richard Hutchings
06-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Guess I need to get busy prepping to sell it then. Thank you Jim

Jim Koepke
06-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Guess I need to get busy prepping to sell it then. Thank you Jim

Often my extra tools are set aside until there is a reason to sell them, like buying a new tool.

It is my "bank of retirement" otherwise the money just sits around wanting to be spent.

jtk

Richard Hutchings
06-04-2018, 11:52 AM
I like that idea. My wife already has the money spent:rolleyes: Maybe I'll leave it on the shelf a little longer.