PDA

View Full Version : New shop 24x40

Steve Middleton
06-04-2018, 8:28 AM
I'm anxiously awaiting the erection of my new shop. I moved from OK to PA last fall leaving my 30x50 quonset building behind so everything I brought with is jammed into the existing 24x24 garage. So far the monolithic slab is complete, driveway/parking area expanded and there will be a small pad in the rear for large utility trailer(outside of course). I plan to use spray foam insulation and finish inside walls with rough cut hemlock which should age nicely run the electrical exposed so it's easy to get to. Primary use for the new space will be CO2 laser and will also house a milling machine and lathe. Hoping to have some pictures in the next couple weeks and thanks for listening:)

Bernie May
06-04-2018, 9:20 AM
start sending us pictures. we love to see the whole process.

Jim Becker
06-04-2018, 9:38 AM
I'm looking forward to your build...it sounds like it's going to be a nice space! And welcome to Pennsyltucky... :) :D

Steve Middleton
06-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Have tried sending some pictures without success. If I create a Photobucket file can I send link here?

Jim Becker
06-10-2018, 3:54 PM
Have tried sending some pictures without success. If I create a Photobucket file can I send link here?

You can upload to SMC as attachments or you can use an external source and link. Your choice, but SMC prefers the former so that photos stay with threads into the future. Unless Photobucket has changed their terms recently, it costs big bucks to be able to link to photos from their storage setup. I abandoned them when they started to want $400 a year for that privilege about a year or so ago. They do have new leadership now, so perhaps they will backtrack on that cost.

Robert Hayward
06-10-2018, 8:12 PM
www.imageevent.com ~$25.00 a year and 1500mb of storage. I have used them for more years than I can remember with no problems. Links I posted five years ago still work.

Steve Middleton
06-11-2018, 9:23 AM
I'll try to attach again. I'm tech challenged some/most days.

Steve Middleton
06-13-2018, 9:39 AM
387661387662387663387664Obviously these are not in order but I did manage to upload. The crew should show up this week and shell finished so I'm excited.

Scott Buehler
06-13-2018, 4:40 PM
Looking good 👍

Steve Middleton
06-27-2018, 7:52 AM
Finally some pictures....

388556 388557 388558 388559 388560 388561

Sorry images are inverted. Not sure how that happened? (JKJ EDIT: I rotated the images. I got confused part way through - hope I didn't forget one!)

Should have 2" Closed Cell insulation next week, then rough in electrical/air, finish walls with rough cut lumber, and hang six 6 bulb led fixtures for plenty of light. Doesn't sound like that big a job when you write it down:)

Jim Becker
06-27-2018, 10:04 AM
Neat building, Steve! 'Kinda the adult version of an Erector Set many of us played with as kids. LOL Seriously, great progress. Good choice on the closed cell foam, too.

Von Bickley
06-27-2018, 11:27 AM
Looking GOOD.... Keep us up-dated with pictures.

Steve Middleton
06-28-2018, 9:12 AM
Thanks John.

Steve Middleton
07-07-2018, 9:42 AM
One step closer...

They finished spray foam yesterday and left it cleaner than they found it! Also got a quote on mini-split system which will heat down to -15 deg F.

Jim Becker
07-07-2018, 2:09 PM
Looks great, Steve...I'm a fan of spray foam. And MiniSplits. :)

Robert Hayward
07-07-2018, 4:52 PM
What R value did you end up getting with that foam job ? I also like the spray foam and mini's.

Steve Middleton
07-08-2018, 2:27 PM
R value for closed cell foam is R6-8 per inch and I paid for 2 inches. When I measured found a couple places 1.75 and quite few at 2.5 so it's not an exact science I guess:)

Jim Becker
07-08-2018, 2:47 PM
The slight variability in the thickness is at least partially off-set by the structural and vapor/infiltration barrier that the material provides to the building. No worries. And yes, it's hard to get the thickness exact without over-spraying too much and the cutting it off flush. That's not economical with closed cell, but common with open cell where every tiny bit of fill is more important and the cost of material is lower. But then you have to add the cost of a vapor barrier and don't get the structural benefit of the closed cell foam, either.

Steve Middleton
07-09-2018, 6:49 AM
I painted the ceiling and upper side walls white Saturday and have just a bit of touch up when paint got to low for the suction tube to reach. That should help reflect the light I hope. Hoping to pick up rough cut lumber today and begin work of the walls.Once I get up about 4 feet I'll start running wire for outlets at the same time so this will take a few days:)

Steve Middleton
07-09-2018, 9:03 PM
Saturday I painted the ceiling and upper side walls with "ceiling white" and this afternoon picked up 1500 bd/ft rough cut lumber for side walls. Once I get up to about 4ft will begin running electric as well. Tried to post a picture but my internet is SOOOOOO pitiful and, of course, expensive as well(:

Steve Middleton
07-10-2018, 8:25 PM

Ron Hampe
07-15-2018, 11:17 AM
Before you buy a mini split make sure that you have an adequate dust collection system or you will need to clean it out daily and possibly more often than that.

Steve Middleton
07-15-2018, 7:57 PM
thanks, I'm working on that Ron. This is new territory for me so I'm reading and figuring it out as I go.

Dave Cav
07-17-2018, 10:40 PM
That's a nice looking building. What kind of steel building is it, and do you know how the cost compares to stick built? I'm thinking of adding another smaller building for utility storage next to the shop (lawn tractor, snow blower, etc).

Steve Middleton
07-18-2018, 8:21 PM
The shell, 24x40 was just shy of $8k. They did that in 13 hours. Site prep, concrete, in addition of course. They did a good job IMO.

Steve Middleton
07-18-2018, 8:26 PM
i also did 2" of closed cell spray foam for $4.4k. My next question is.....work benches, etc.....I know I'll need work/finish/etc and I'd like all that to be on casters.Any opinions on dimensions/format would be appreciated. I know I'll also need storage for raw materials so give me the benefit of your experience if you will!!!

Steve Middleton
07-19-2018, 8:03 PM
My next question is....Workbench and storage for a laser operation? 24x40, relatively small, I know I'll need a space for finish work, color fill, raw material.....as for benches I definitely want casters so what dimensions? 36x? or....shelving....16 or 24 deep.....fixed or movable....Your thoughts will be appreciated!

Mike Heidrick
07-20-2018, 10:02 AM
That's a nice looking building. What kind of steel building is it, and do you know how the cost compares to stick built? I'm thinking of adding another smaller building for utility storage next to the shop (lawn tractor, snow blower, etc).

Dave, look up carport buildings. Allsteelcarports.com has a similar build. Typically 1 1/2-2" thick walls. What is the thickness of your door Steve?

Steve Middleton
07-21-2018, 7:14 AM
Dave, look up carport buildings. Allsteelcarports.com has a similar build. Typically 1 1/2-2" thick walls. What is the thickness of your door Steve?
I believe the frame is 2 1/2" on approximately 4 ft centers. The door is about 1 1/2", insulated of course. It came from HBO Carports in NC.

Steve Middleton
07-23-2018, 5:20 AM
I had a good day in the shop yesterday, in fact best day I've had in quite a while. I was focused and put everything else in the background and gosh it was nice. It's been 3 years since I sold my business and I've concluded I'm just not cut out for "retirement" just don't want to work as hard as I used to. LOL. Anyway here's a picture of where I left things yesterday afternoon. 390196390196I don't know why it showed up twice?

Jim Becker
07-23-2018, 9:18 AM
That's really getting there, Steve!

And you'll have plenty of room for all the goodies...including a nice CNC. LOL

Steve Middleton
07-24-2018, 8:52 PM
Another good day....Picked up needed electrical parts, and almost finished with work/assembly bench. 390300 Sorry it's rotated. I haven't figure that part out yet. Warning............I purchased 3" casters at Lowes....2 swivel and 2 straight. They are NOT the same height so I need to shim one set by 1". Dang it(: Oh.....I think I will like he melamine top...easy to clean, two sides coated, and reasonably priced. Time will tell.

Steve Middleton
07-24-2018, 8:58 PM
That's really getting there, Steve!

And you'll have plenty of room for all the goodies...including a nice CNC. LOL

I am thinking about a CNC.....No fool like an old fool, lol..........I'm finally recognizing I'm not ready for "retirement".....not for me just yet!

Jim Becker
07-24-2018, 9:02 PM
I am thinking about a CNC.....No fool like an old fool, lol..........I'm finally recognizing I'm not ready for "retirement".....not for me just yet!
Yup...saw (and commented on) your post on Camheads. :) "Try it...you'll like it!"... :) :D

Steve Middleton
07-25-2018, 6:35 AM
Thanks Jim, I appreciate the encouragement:D

Jim Becker
07-25-2018, 9:27 AM
I try hard to be a quality "enabler"...especially with other folks' money. :) :D

Steve Middleton
07-25-2018, 9:14 PM
And today we have lights.....

Steve Middleton
07-25-2018, 9:17 PM
And image is still 90 deg out. And I went THE OTHER WAY and still made no difference, LOL.

Jim Becker
07-26-2018, 9:02 AM
Lights are nice to have...and they help you keep your fingers. :) :D (seriously...great progress there!)

Steve Middleton
07-28-2018, 10:19 PM
390545It's been a couple days but I built a 36 x 48 work station with router table, belt sander, drill press and, small metal shear (which will need a "baggy" to keep the dust off. I put it on casters and will rn everything to a power strip which will then power everything when needed. After thinking about it I decided that teh 24x40 space will fill up FAST and this can be tucked in a corner when it's not needed. Not SMC quality build but will be functional:) Sorry I don't know how to fix rotation.

Charlie Hinton
07-29-2018, 10:55 AM
That's going to be a great work space.

Steve Middleton
07-30-2018, 8:57 PM
I've been reading DC threads and the members have MANY different shops/needs. My 24x40 will be primarily laser at least until I add a CNC router. I know the router will require DC. Ray at Rabbit asks for a 6" exit fitting which he will install to duct the laser. I know I'll be doing some sanding and painting but don't know whether the painting will be spray or brush. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciate as I'm a TOTAL newby. Thanks in advance, it's a great forum!

Jim Becker
07-31-2018, 10:05 AM
Venting for spray operations is a whole 'nuther thing over DC, especially if you choose to use solvent based finishes instead of working with water borne finishes. You need a more serious (and expensive) setup for solvent based finishes like lacquer than you do for water borne products. The former has seriously explosive and health-hazardous VOC properties while the latter is more about suspended fines, rather than VOC. (water borne still requires personal protection, however)

You are correct that a CNC will want for DC. Some folks dedicate a unit; others run it off their regular shop system. What you decide to employ will be very much related to the tools and work you intend to do. The laser is a separate thing for sure and it sounds like you have that covered.

Steve Middleton
08-03-2018, 7:12 AM
More progress yesterday. Mini split installed and continue to refine the shelving design. If I do this enough times I'll find something I like:)390901390902

Ron Hampe
08-03-2018, 6:30 PM
https://www.engraversjournal.com/article.php/2780/index.html

Jim Dwight
08-03-2018, 7:10 PM
Shop looks nice. I had the ceilings of my home insulated with a couple inches of closed cell foam early this year and am very happy with it. Because it blocks airflow the results in terms of reduction in my bills was greater than I expected. My HVAC guy found a leak that had probably been there awhile about the same time as I got the foam so it is hard to say exactly how much is each. But I haven't received a cooling bill more than $125 so far. In SC, we use a lot more cooling than heat.

Steve Middleton
08-04-2018, 9:35 PM
https://www.engraversjournal.com/article.php/2780/index.html thank you!

Steve Middleton
08-05-2018, 7:09 AM
Another question came up.....I have a 60 gallon compressor and would prefer it remain in the adjacent garage which isn't heated. This will isolate the noise but wondering if there's enough moisture in the winter air to condense in the line and freeze up? Thought about a dryer at output of the compressor but that just helps isolate the problem? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Steve Middleton
08-05-2018, 7:16 AM
Venting for spray operations is a whole 'nuther thing over DC, especially if you choose to use solvent based finishes instead of working with water borne finishes. You need a more serious (and expensive) setup for solvent based finishes like lacquer than you do for water borne products. The former has seriously explosive and health-hazardous VOC properties while the latter is more about suspended fines, rather than VOC. (water borne still requires personal protection, however)

You are correct that a CNC will want for DC. Some folks dedicate a unit; others run it off their regular shop system. What you decide to employ will be very much related to the tools and work you intend to do. The laser is a separate thing for sure and it sounds like you have that covered.

This is very much a seat of the pants project. All I have so far is an "idea" and experience will trump a lot of my preconceptions I'm sure. Maybe that's the part I like, lol. A "business consultant" once said to me "I think you get bored. You like a project and once you see it working you're ready to move on." She was right(:

Jim Becker
08-05-2018, 8:37 AM
Another question came up.....I have a 60 gallon compressor and would prefer it remain in the adjacent garage which isn't heated. This will isolate the noise but wondering if there's enough moisture in the winter air to condense in the line and freeze up? Thought about a dryer at output of the compressor but that just helps isolate the problem? Any thoughts are appreciated!

You are going to want to condition that air somehow to insure that you don't get a lot of moisture. Some tools don't like that at all. One example...a CNC machine that uses air for both Z-axis balance and for other purposes. I don't generally have moisture issues with my setup and the compressor/DC closet isn't exactly "conditioned space", but I still "double filter" between the unit and my CNC and have appropriately sloped lines. I also have an auto-drain on my 60 gallon compressor which has helped immensely in keeping water and moisture out of the system.

Julie Moriarty
08-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Your shop is really coming along great, Steve! Looks like everything is being done right. Very nice.

Steve Middleton
08-05-2018, 6:54 PM
Thanks Julie, I'm trying!

Steve Middleton
08-06-2018, 7:40 PM
So....The compressor will go in new shop. I see no other reasonable option. Today's pictures will include one end of shop with shelves and rollaway box and the other with desk, computers, etc. The first section will also house a vertical mill. I had not planned on that but the unheated garage resulted in significant rust to the mill table and it's too nice a machine to let it rust away. A lathe might find it's way later but we'll see. The other end now has 2 computers, color printer/scanner/fax with enough room to conduct business. My internet signal was wea391109391111k so purchased a "booster" and now all is well:) Thanks for listening, I appreciate all the support.391107 I apologize....the pictures are all 90 deg out and out of order. I obviously have a lot to learn:) On brighter now Jim from Pennsytucky is doing som awesome CNC work on a 4x4 router. I was thinking 4x8 and feeling cramped already but 4x4 is making me more optimistic. LOL.

Steve Middleton
08-09-2018, 7:28 AM
A little more progress. The compressor is operational now. I added a larger filter which substantially reduced the noise, probably by half? You definitely hear it but those high frequency pitches are all gone. Much more bearable. And I now have sound. Old school CD player with a couple speakers makes for a nice environment! 391198391199

Robert Parent
08-09-2018, 8:09 AM
Nice looking shop...... What mini split system are you looking at. I may have a very similar project in the near future.

Thanks,
Robert

Greg Parrish
08-09-2018, 8:35 AM
For a space that big I would be looking at twin 18k btu mini splits. I have a single Mitsubishi 18k in my 20x22 insulated space and it can heat and cool it wonderfully but most importantly it can overcome having the big roll up door open within 15 minutes of closing it.

Steve Middleton
08-09-2018, 7:18 PM
I opted for a Fujitsu 2 ton, one inside unit and a NTool oscilating fan to keep things moving. It is supposed to heat at -15 deg F but I don't know how much the efficiency will suffer:)

Greg Parrish
08-09-2018, 7:29 PM
I opted for a Fujitsu 2 ton, one inside unit and a NTool oscilating fan to keep things moving. It is supposed to heat at -15 deg F but I don't know how much the efficiency will suffer:)

As long as you don’t leave the big doors open long at a time, it should be fine to control and maintain given your insulation. That’s bigger than my 1.5 ton and mine is way overkill for the sq ft. We open our double garage door a lot so I wanted to keep that in check.

Steve Middleton
08-11-2018, 10:33 AM
OK...the compressor is now in the climate controlled space. I read several threads on how to quiet it down and rigged up a larger filter which cut the high frequency sounds entirely! You still know it's running but not nearly as annoying:)391303