PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning planer rollers

Fred Voorhees
11-19-2005, 1:45 PM
I know, I know - this subject has been chatted up in this forum before, but I seem to never store the answer in the back of my mind. I would like to clean the rollers in my Delta planer, but I don't remember what to use. I seem to recall some saying that alcohol is ok and some saying it is not. Though, I know there were other possible alternatives also. Some anwers? And thanks!

lou sansone
11-19-2005, 3:22 PM
if it is a rubber roller then alcohol will be fine. . . what is the cause of the gunk? are you trying to plane soft pine ?

lou

Dennis McDonaugh
11-19-2005, 6:15 PM
Fred, I use paint thinnner. So far no damage to the rollers.

Fred Voorhees
11-19-2005, 6:42 PM
if it is a rubber roller then alcohol will be fine. . . what is the cause of the gunk? are you trying to plane soft pine ?

lou
Really no gunk to speak of. Just thought that I would do some maintenance and get in there and brush off the rollers and while there, do some cleaning. I am starting two identical corner hutches and will be doing lots of planing and thought that this would be a good time to do the work. I have new replacement blades coming this week in the mail.

lou sansone
11-19-2005, 8:48 PM
what type of planer are you using? Some planers have a rubber infeed roller that can sort of get crusted up, but from the 2 different planers I have owned I have never needed to clean the rollers. Just wondering about different designs.
thanks
lou

tod evans
11-19-2005, 9:18 PM
mineral spirits will swell the neoprene rollers on the early delta lunchbox planers to the point they`re unusable. i`d just scrape`em off. tod