PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or are these prices out of hand?

Marshall Harrison
06-03-2018, 12:44 PM
First let me say that I'm not in the best of moods today so maybe I'm overreacting.

I've mentioned here before how most of the table saws on Craig's List in my are are junk. Even though I have a new Laguna Fusion I still enjoy looking at what's available in the local market. I also do this for tools I need like a drill press. But today these stood out. (if either of them is your posting I apologize but would like to know your reasoning).

Used Craftsman with really bad rust and a broken motor mount. Asking $300 'https://brunswick.craigslist.org/tls/d/table-saw/6587451451.html

Powermatic 12" TS Asking $3000
'https://ocala.craigslist.org/tls/d/powermatic-12-table-saw/6578533601.html

Is it just me or are these prices off base?

Carlos Alvarez
06-03-2018, 2:03 PM
There are idiots everywhere. I'm just shocked that they didn't include the key numbskull phrases like, "I know what it's worth" and "rare one of a kind, don't lowball me!!" Things are worth whatever someone will pay for them. On the other hand, if the pickings are slim where you live, they can ask for more. My friend lives part time in Maryland, part here in AZ. When he drives his ancient Toyota Four-runner to Maryland, people offer him big cash to buy it right there, although he's never wanted to sell it. Here it's not worth much. Why? All cars there are rusted junk.

My Unisaw was $500 on CL with a Biesmeyer fence and extended rails (but missing the table part). I thought that was a steal, but for the most part these old saws are rarely over $1k here. Here's the most expensive one I've seen in a while, but seems well worth it... 'https://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/d/tricked-out-delta-unisaw/6601531158.html

Jim Koepke
06-03-2018, 2:58 PM
Marshall, It seems the locals are voting with their lack of interest in these two ads since they have both been around for a while.

I have seen people list rust bucket and broken Stanley #45 planes for outrageous prices because in their mind there is some rarity to one in that condition. Maybe they have been smoking something way more powerful than any other man or woman has ever known.

As Carlos says, location can make a big difference.

jtk

Rick Potter
06-03-2018, 3:29 PM
I think a lot of this type ad, is by family members cleaning out an estate. They look on CL for comps and choose unwisely.

There is one on my local list advertising a 'wood saw' in the box. The pictured box plainly says it is a HF lathe.

Carlos Alvarez
06-03-2018, 3:58 PM
I'm shopping for a small travel trailer to pull with my Jeep. I keep finding junk (COUGH) er..."vintage" like this for crazy prices...

Brian Henderson
06-03-2018, 4:52 PM
I've got the same problem here, woodworking is just not a big thing so usually, there is nothing at all on Craigslist and when something shows up, it is vastly overpriced for rusted out junk. I will never understand how people can expect to sell thing when they are buried under garbage, rusted solid and just dirty. How long does it take to wipe off the crap?

Bill Orbine
06-03-2018, 6:52 PM
The sellers are not the idiots. They're are waiting for THE idiots to respond! Caveat Emptor!

Mike Cutler
06-03-2018, 7:14 PM
Marshall

Yep, those prices are out of whack.
I look at CL a lot also, mostly the NE area, and there are much, much, better prices than that.
If you're willing to part with $3K for a used table saw, you're in the Tannewitz/Oliver/Northfield range.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2018, 7:19 PM
While this price was out of line, regionally, prices can vary dramatically. For reasons, I haven't figured out, Craigslist prices for woodworking and other tools locally are incredibly high. I quit looking some time ago.

Marshall Harrison
06-03-2018, 7:56 PM
Marshall

Yep, those prices are out of whack.
I look at CL a lot also, mostly the NE area, and there are much, much, better prices than that.
If you're willing to part with $3K for a used table saw, you're in the Tannewitz/Oliver/Northfield range.

Not much in the line of old iron locally unless a Craftsman table saw and ROS count as old iron.

My theory is that when norther woodworkers get older they sell off all of their old iron and move to Florida where they buy newer stuff. Then when they get too old or die its only the newer junk that shows up on CL. That would explain our lack of big iron (left behind up north) and all the Craftsman level stuff we see here.

Lee Schierer
06-03-2018, 8:06 PM
Guys, please refrain from posting live links to auction sites or want ad sites. When those items sell the links go dead and become useless.

Marshall Harrison
06-03-2018, 8:19 PM
guys, please refrain from posting live links to auction sites or want ad sites. When those items sell the links go dead and become useless.

ok........

Steve Eure
06-03-2018, 9:42 PM
Marshall I feel your pain. I live about 2 1/2 hours from you in SW Ga. and the pickings are slim. A lot of Craftsman saws and such. On the rare occasion that you do find a gem, it's either too far to drive considering gas prices or the "Vintage" tool is too overly priced. And often times it is pure junk.

Marshall Harrison
06-03-2018, 9:55 PM
Marshall I feel your pain. I live about 2 1/2 hours from you in SW Ga. and the pickings are slim. A lot of Craftsman saws and such. On the rare occasion that you do find a gem, it's either too far to drive considering gas prices or the "Vintage" tool is too overly priced. And often times it is pure junk.

Well, that Craftsman saw is in Brunswick. Take a drive over there and get it. make it a beach day while you are at it. :D

John Redford
06-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Marshall I was thinking nearly the same thing the other day when I was shopping fo an oil filter on fleabay. The filter I bought was +/- $10.00. There were at least 10 identical filters listed for >$50.

The only thing I can think of is that some people are stupid enough to pay the higher prices.

Dave Lehnert
06-03-2018, 11:28 PM
The sellers are not the idiots. They're are waiting for THE idiots to respond! Caveat Emptor!

I think Bill hit the nail on the head.
I have a friend who sells on ebay. He sells car parts on there. Wife purchased a new couch. Took the old one out to the burn pile. For fun he snapped a pic and posted it for sale. Guy bid $200 and was excited to get it.
I own and use a Shopsmith Mark 5. I'm amazed what parts sell for on e-bay. People don't realize Shopsmith is still in business and parts can be had new form the manufacture for less than e-bay.

Mike Cutler
06-04-2018, 5:09 AM
Not much in the line of old iron locally unless a Craftsman table saw and ROS count as old iron.

My theory is that when norther woodworkers get older they sell off all of their old iron and move to Florida where they buy newer stuff. Then when they get too old or die its only the newer junk that shows up on CL. That would explain our lack of big iron (left behind up north) and all the Craftsman level stuff we see here.

That's probably a very valid theory. Moving heavy machines can be a pain, and require a special type of moving company. Many, many, threads here on the forum for how to move a heavy machine.
I know of two instances up here where a full sized milling machine and lathe were left in the basements of the houses when the owners retired. How they got them in there, was definitely not how they were coming out.

Marshall Harrison
06-04-2018, 7:40 AM
That's probably a very valid theory. Moving heavy machines can be a pain, and require a special type of moving company. Many, many, threads here on the forum for how to move a heavy machine.
I know of two instances up here where a full sized milling machine and lathe were left in the basements of the houses when the owners retired. How they got them in there, was definitely not how they were coming out.

Thanks for the confirmation bro.

I just thought they would sell the big iron before moving it. Never thought about getting it out of the basement being too big of a task.

I'm planning to move from Florida to the North Carolina mountains in the next few years. That has me wondering what big purchases I can put off until I move. Don't want to leave things here for the kids as they won't use them. But don't want to have the expense or hassles of moving a lot of stuff.

I'm retired but wife still has a couple of more years to go. Also can't move until our elderly moms pass away so no real timeline. Leaves me questions like do I buy a large bandsaw fro resawing? Or do I hold off until after the eventual move?

Being a woodworker (or tool collector) isn't easy.

Charlie Hinton
06-04-2018, 8:27 AM
It's pretty much the same in Dallas.
Mostly entry level tools in poor condition with very 'optimistic' pricing.
Once in a while a decent tool at a fair price for the buyer and seller will show up but those sell real quick, so unless you are being very diligent about looking you miss it.
The Facebook market place is better for me than Craigslist.
Last October I was able buy a Ridgid jointer that was still brand new in the box for $400.
The seller was one of those warehouse auction people and it was in one of the units he bought.

I kinda get a kick out of some of the asking prices and since the items go away I wonder if they sold or went into the dumpster, if they are actually selling the stuff my truly well maintained excellent condition 13 year old Delta hybrid tablesaw might sell for more than I paid for it if I ever decide to get a SawStop.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-04-2018, 9:14 AM
I noticed a decent leg vise listed locally this last fall, seller wanted $600 obo. It's worth maybe $100, so I offered that. He responded with the "experts say its worth...", so I just walked. It's still listed, now at $150 obo. Bet he would take the $100 now, I'll probably offer $50. These nuts sure don't do themselves any favors with the selling tactic.

Marshall Harrison
06-04-2018, 9:37 AM
I noticed a decent leg vise listed locally this last fall, seller wanted $600 obo. It's worth maybe $100, so I offered that. He responded with the "experts say its worth...", so I just walked. It's still listed, now at $150 obo. Bet he would take the $100 now, I'll probably offer $50. These nuts sure don't do themselves any favors with the selling tactic.

If you look around long nought you can always find an expert to say exactly what you want to hear. Doesn't mean they are right though.

Charlie Hinton
06-04-2018, 10:02 AM
If you look around long nought you can always find an expert to say exactly what you want to hear. Doesn't mean they are right though.

People think I am 'touched' when they hear me talking to myself, but in reality I only talk to myself when I need expert advice.

Michael Weber
06-04-2018, 10:35 AM
people think i am 'touched' when they hear me talking to myself, but in reality i only talk to myself when i need expert advice.
lol . . . . .

Jim Koepke
06-04-2018, 1:47 PM

I just thought they would sell the big iron before moving it. Never thought about getting it out of the basement being too big of a task.

I'm planning to move from Florida to the North Carolina mountains in the next few years. That has me wondering what big purchases I can put off until I move. Don't want to leave things here for the kids as they won't use them. But don't want to have the expense or hassles of moving a lot of stuff.

I'm retired but wife still has a couple of more years to go. Also can't move until our elderly moms pass away so no real timeline. Leaves me questions like do I buy a large bandsaw fro resawing? Or do I hold off until after the eventual move?

The big considerations on something like a bandsaw is will there be any help to move it and unload it at the other end. Also in my case all my moving has been done without hiring 'professionals'. My folks had a furniture and appliance store so growing up everyone in the family was a 'professional' furniture and appliance mover.

My bandsaw comes in at about 200 pounds. With a bit of careful planing and leverage it was not difficult for me to unpack and assemble the unit on my own. Moving it with a hand truck isn't difficult. Loading it onto and securing it to my pickup truck for a move wouldn't be difficult for me. Just find some plastic wrap and padding to protect it and the truck and some rope to hold it secure.

Then it becomes a question of how much can you use a bandsaw before your move and is the value of its use worth the hassle of arranging for its eventual move.

The other option is to pick up a smaller used bandsaw with the idea of reselling it before you move. A moving sale ad with tools mentioned always brings a few more lookyloos.

jtk

Carlos Alvarez
06-04-2018, 1:50 PM
A lot of sellers also list high prices expecting to be haggled to a "reasonable" price. They assume that if they start high they end up high, rather than in reality, there's just more haggling. About a year ago I picked up a scroll saw that had been listed for many months at a very high price. The guy's wife had just re-listed it with a reasonable, easy-sell price, and I picked it up. While there I mentioned that I'd been watching it for months. The guy asked why I didn't call to haggle, and I said I simply don't do that. I pay what's advertised or don't bother contacting the seller at all. He tried to explain to me why that was crazy and wrong. As a seller I list everything with a clearly firm price, no screwing around.

Marshall Harrison
06-04-2018, 4:16 PM
Jim, my reasoning tracks pretty close to what you said.

I have a 9" Delta band saw so I can cut curves etc and the only real thing I am missing is the resaw capability. I think I can make that wait until the move.

John C Cox
06-04-2018, 5:34 PM
Two things:
1. Most people are horrible at selling stuff ....
2. This tendency is made massively worse by "free" ads - the seller has no "skin in the game" to be anything other than stupid via no selling costs to list stuff...

And as a result - CL becomes the confluence of bad behavior... So for example - 5,000 ads that say stuff like "guitsr for sale" and have no pix and no other info.. Or sellers who can't be bothered to sell anything because it's too much trouble...

Fees weed out those folks.

Carlos Alvarez
06-04-2018, 6:08 PM
Change your view to "gallery" and you can easily avoid all the ads with no pics. That's what I do.

Mike Cutler
06-04-2018, 6:44 PM

I try not to be a tool collector, but sometimes it just happens. Case in point;
I need to rebuild my porch and was thinking about converting my old Jet contractor saw to a job site saw for all of the rough cut lumber I'm going to need to cut, and save myself 10,000trips back and forth to the shop. I was talking with the folks at work and one of them said, "I have a really old radial arm saw you can use, but there's a catch"
I asked what?
He said you have to keep it, and take this old bandsaw with it, so I can clear up my garage. He doesn't even know what make of machines they are.
I haven't seen them yet and his only description is "big, heavy and in the way". I'll find out this weekend. One man's trash, is hopefully another's treasure. Mine.;)
I'm hoping the radial arm saw is semi functioning. It will be great for cutting rough cut lumber, 1x12", 2x10's, and such to length right onsite.
Haven't a clue what I'm going to do with a third band saw.

Marshall Harrison
06-04-2018, 6:49 PM
Mike, keep us informed as to what you find out. Hopefully you will get some golden nuggets out of this.

Eric Keller
06-04-2018, 11:42 PM
this thread made me look at the local CL. It's not as bad as it used to be, that's for sure. Some decent deals. Most of the good deals are from over the mountain though. I did like the axe head and maul head (looks like handle remnants in the heads) for $20. There was a $7k Matco toolbox someone was selling for $2k, which seems okay. The very similar Snapon toolchest for $5k might sit for a while.

Nothing in my basement shop that can't be removed with a off-road forklift. That's how it got in there. And I had the entryway modified to make it easier. Might be a little daunting, especially the 5500 pound milling machine.

Curt Harms
06-07-2018, 9:24 AM
Ain't that the truth. One definition of an expert is someone 50 miles from home with a briefcase. Some experts have training and credentials, others have mastered the lingo and look & sound good on TV.

Jim Koepke
06-07-2018, 4:58 PM
A lot of sellers also list high prices expecting to be haggled to a "reasonable" price. They assume that if they start high they end up high, rather than in reality, there's just more haggling.

Another way to look at this is it is easier to come down in price than it is to go up. There have been times when my hesitation on a price prompted the seller to go up in price. What they saw next was my backside and no interest in dealing with them on anything else.

Ain't that the truth. One definition of an expert is someone 50 miles from home with a briefcase. Some experts have training and credentials, others have mastered the lingo and look & sound good on TV.

One of my situations is actually a humorous story of how one becomes an "expert".

My employment before retirement was as a elctro-mechanical technician on automatic fare collection equipment at a public transit agency. The old equipment was being changed out and we were having meetings about the new equipment. The supervisor mentioned that besides being connected through a computer network the machines also had a second interface through SCADA. Someone asked, "what is SCADA?" Not thinking anything of it, my reply was, "Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition." (the equipment on a previous job used SCADA) Guess who was named the SCADA "expert" just for knowing what the acronym meant. That was pretty much my extent of knowledge on the subject. It was on me to do some quick learning and even an occasional lock picking over the next few years for being the "expert".

jtk

Carlos Alvarez
06-07-2018, 5:06 PM
Another way to look at this is it is easier to come down in price than it is to go up. There have been times when my hesitation on a price prompted the seller to go up in price. What they saw next was my backside and no interest in dealing with them on anything else.

I list something for $125 firm price.

E-mail: Hey, what's the best price you'll take?

Me: $140

E-mail: YOUR AD WAS LOWER!!!

Me: Yeah, but I figured if you're too stupid to read "firm price" you might be too stupid to realize that too.

Jim Koepke
06-07-2018, 5:12 PM
I list something for $125 firm price.

E-mail: Hey, what's the best price you'll take?

Me: $140

E-mail: YOUR AD WAS LOWER!!!

Me: Yeah, but I figured if you're too stupid to read "firm price" you might be too stupid to realize that too.

Maybe if you told them the ad was a mistake, but if they hurry over you will let them hold you to it would get it to sell faster.

Though your approach does sound a bit more satisfying.

jtk

Carlos Alvarez
06-07-2018, 5:30 PM
Though your approach does sound a bit more satisfying.

jtk

I've also learned that people who don't read or read and ignore are bad buyers. I want easy transactions for both parties, and for two people to be happy. Heck, I met a new woodworker over a sale and now we're friends! But the people who are impolite or otherwise not "with it" are a pain to deal with.

Rod Sheridan
06-08-2018, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Marshall Harrison;2818973]

Hi Marshall, in response to moving stuff, that's what contract help is for.

As to putting off buying a tool, buy it now. We have no idea how much longer we will live, the longer you own the tool the more use and satisfaction you receive from it, and financially it's better as you amortize it over move years..............regards, Rod.

John C Cox
06-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Yep... Some of the best money I have ever spent was on hiring movers to move my heavy junk.... It's their day job... They have all the gear... They have all the trucks... And their day job isn't sitting in front of a computer all day long. ;).

Van Huskey
06-08-2018, 8:37 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Koepke;2819087
My bandsaw comes in at about 200 pounds. With a bit of careful planing and leverage it was not difficult for me to unpack and assemble the unit on my own. [/QUOTE]

No offense but that is a "throw it in the back seat of a car" bandsaw. :D

Rollie Meyers
06-17-2018, 11:34 AM
I think Bill hit the nail on the head.
I have a friend who sells on ebay. He sells car parts on there. Wife purchased a new couch. Took the old one out to the burn pile. For fun he snapped a pic and posted it for sale. Guy bid $200 and was excited to get it.
I own and use a Shopsmith Mark 5. I'm amazed what parts sell for on e-bay. People don't realize Shopsmith is still in business and parts can be had new form the manufacture for less than e-bay.

There has been about 5 Shopsmiths over the last few years in my favorite scrapyard, some with accessories because they could not get rid of them, I had no desire for them & they went away.

Kev Williams
06-20-2018, 4:33 PM
A little bit off track but still on the 'price' topic-- It's been years since I stopped at a convenience store to buy 'just' a drink. Sunday I was out and about and hadn't had a drink in a couple of hours. Stopped at an Exxon station and bought a 20oz bottle of diet Pepsi... Got $2.39 change from a $5 bill -- seriously?? $2.61 for a drink? I actually asked if that was the right price...yup...

Since I can buy 24 12oz cans of diet Pepsi for $3.00, I was a little put off at Exxon's markup...

Carlos Alvarez
06-20-2018, 5:57 PM
Sodas aren't just horrible for your health, but also your wallet I guess? If I get a drink on the go it's the tea at QT. A quart is under a buck, and they brew it fresh on site all day. Give it a try, top quality.

Kev Williams
06-20-2018, 7:47 PM
--if only tea didn't smell and taste like lawn clippings... ;)

Carlos Alvarez
06-20-2018, 7:55 PM
LOL, fair enough. Though they do have a variety of flavors.

Holy cow, I can't remember what Coke/Pepsi taste like. I think I last had some around 5-6 years ago. That seems strange.

Jim Koepke
06-22-2018, 2:26 PM
--if only tea didn't smell and taste like lawn clippings... ;)

LOL, fair enough. Though they do have a variety of flavors.

Like:

Fescue Freeze

Turf Tornado

Red Eye Rye

Long Bent of Summer

and my favorite

St. Augustine Swirl with just a hint of Crab

jtk