PDA

View Full Version : change default file locations

Craig Matheny
06-02-2018, 7:53 PM
I looked and search to no luck. I have corel 2017 and want to setup different open and save locations. Any ideas?

Bill George
06-02-2018, 9:28 PM
I looked and search to no luck. I have corel 2017 and want to setup different open and save locations. Any ideas?

Not sure what you need. I make a new folder for each job (in Windows), and add sub folders if needed. SAVE AS your work in each for the first file anyway.

Craig Matheny
06-05-2018, 9:52 AM
What I want is when I open Corel it opens (This Pc / documents) file structure I want it to be (This Pc / Data (E:) / lazermodels / Models) same thing for when I save a file. THen I can add a folder or save as I want but it is all in the correct location saving steps and making it easier for others.

Bert McMahan
06-05-2018, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure how to set the default open location, but you can add locations to the "Pinned" list to the left of many Windows File-Open/Save dialogs. Right click in there and click "Pin to Quick Access". Then you can just click the button to get to your Models folder.

Bill George
06-05-2018, 12:18 PM
I do not have "Pin to" in my choices. Looks like you have a E:\ (drive) your want to Name as E:\Data then Create Directories, Folders and sub Folders In Windows Explorer is the only way I know.

Bert McMahan
06-05-2018, 1:51 PM
@Bill- Make sure you're right clicking on the "Quick Access" heading in the left hand pane.

It may be a Windows 10 only thing. I thought I remembered Windows 7 having it but I can't remember.

Bill George
06-05-2018, 4:04 PM
@Bill- Make sure you're right clicking on the "Quick Access" heading in the left hand pane.

It may be a Windows 10 only thing. I thought I remembered Windows 7 having it but I can't remember.

Nope and I do not need anyway as my stuff is organized as I stated above. I learned to be organized back in the MS-DOS days. No issues.

Kev Williams
06-05-2018, 7:48 PM
I'm using Win7 and while there may be a better way I don't know about, I just map the folders and/or files I want quick access to as network drives...
Drive letters A and B are 'open' these days, so my drive A is mapped to my main Corel Jobs folder, and my drive B is mapped to my most-used customer folder.

--so whenever I access 'Windows Explorer' or 'my computer' (same thing), I get this:
--Since the drive LETTERS are are listed alphabetically rather than the drive NAMES,
'Corel' and my 'Un-named Customer' folder are at the top of the list right after 'computer', easy peasy...

--as noted above, you can also pin folders to the task bar...

Bert McMahan
06-05-2018, 10:32 PM
Nope and I do not need anyway as my stuff is organized as I stated above. I learned to be organized back in the MS-DOS days. No issues.

It's not about organizing, it's about navigating through your entire organization tree each time you click the Open menu. If he keeps his files at C:\Laser\Finished\Client A\Project 1\Laser art.cdl he would have to click 6 times to get to his folder, despite it being organized. I was saying he can add a shortcut link to "Client A\Project 1" if he's working on the same handful of files a lot, or at least to C:\Laser instead of defaulting to showing the desktop.

It's also not pinning a folder to the task bar, it's pinning it to the Quick Access bar that appears in the Open dialog.

For example, I have a folder located at C:\Users\Bert\Desktop\Laser projects\Laser mods\80W Upgrade\Frame modification for example. If I'm working in that folder a bunch, I can open my "Open Drawing" window, then right click where it says "Quick Access" then click "Pin current folder to Quick access" like so:

https://i.imgur.com/EPdxVTc.png

Then, every time I invoke the File -> Open dialog, I have a link that takes me directly to that folder:

https://i.imgur.com/SrU5ckr.png

I can click that and get straight to my working folder.

Bill George
06-06-2018, 8:05 AM
I only need to click "Open" and all my laser files are under.... Laserwork then subfolder for John Deere / JobName. Not an issue 3 clicks counting Open.

Wilbur Harris
06-08-2018, 10:21 PM
I only need to click "Open" and all my laser files are under.... Laserwork then subfolder for John Deere / JobName. Not an issue 3 clicks counting Open.

Jeez Bill!! It's clear that you don't have enough folders. Fix it such that you have to click 7 or 8 times to get to what you want. What are you possibly thinkin'?

Craig Matheny
06-13-2018, 1:21 PM
According to Corel there is no way to change the official open or save location automatically. I did do the pin to the side and removed all the stuff I didn't need. Bill this is not about getting organized it is about less clicks to get to the main folder area we use and that is very well organized.

Bill George
06-13-2018, 7:36 PM
According to Corel there is no way to change the official open or save location automatically. I did do the pin to the side and removed all the stuff I didn't need. Bill this is not about getting organized it is about less clicks to get to the main folder area we use and that is very well organized.

Well Craig I gave you my suggestion, and my files are 3 clicks away, I guess that would qualify as organized, :)

Craig Matheny
06-20-2018, 7:23 PM
Guess what you can change default file locations in 2018 that will help in 5 years when I upgrade:)