PDA

View Full Version : Recent Finds

Jim Koepke
06-02-2018, 7:14 PM
A few items from about three different estate sales and an antique store:

The spoke shave came from the antique store that wasn't open but the guy next door sometimes watches it for the owner. He even gave us a discount for what we bought. The spoke shave amazed me at how well it could take a shaving without even hitting the stones.

The chisel has an almost worn off UNION Hardware stamp on the socket. It cost a whole buck at a long established permanent floating estate sale. Has a bit of pitting, but that isn't a bother on this one.

The "Tire Service Gauge," the block plane and the mitre square, with fine adjustment at 45/135º & 90º, all came from the same estate sale.

BTW, the tire gauge seems to work quite well. Not bad for $2.

The calipers came from an estate sale that is on the road next to mine a couple of miles into the woods. There were a few machine tools, but the caliper was about the only thing to really want to come home with me.

jtk

Jerry Olexa
06-02-2018, 7:16 PM
You did well Jim...That chisel looks esp good!!!

Jim Koepke
06-02-2018, 7:21 PM
You did well Jim...That chisel looks esp good!!!

Thanks Jerry, It is getting harder to find things not already in my shop.

The chisel got a quick touch up today. Looks to be good steel. There are a few other UNION Hardware chisels and gouges in my accumulation. They have always seemed to be good stock.

jtk

ken hatch
06-02-2018, 8:33 PM
Jim,

I've found Union Hardware chisels to be very good chisels, maybe I've been lucky but whatever. It looks like a firmer that someone thought was a mortise chisel:eek:.

ken

Rob Luter
06-03-2018, 11:53 AM
.... It is getting harder to find things not already in my shop...

Ain’t that the truth. Since I started to limit rust hunt purchases to things I would actually use and didn’t already have, very few things follow me home anymore.

Frederick Skelly
06-03-2018, 2:16 PM
Good finds! All of that looks pretty useful, especially that tire gauge!
Fred

lowell holmes
06-03-2018, 5:15 PM
I have two timber framing chisels. When you need one, nothing else will suffice.