PDA

View Full Version : Finally used the sliding table

John K Jordan
05-31-2018, 10:20 PM
Long before I built me shop I bought a used Robland sliding table attachment through a benefit auction. It had come off a PM66 and I had a new PM66 in a crate, waiting for me to build the shop. About five years ago I built the shop, attached and aligned the sliding table to the table saw, tested it, then never used it on a project. (My shop time is almost entirely woodturning.)

Today I had a simple project for the house so I used the table for the first time. Wow is that thing handy! It's too small for a full sheet of plywood but for partial sheets of baltic birch it was a dream. I found out first hand what I assume everyone else already knows - with the clamp, cuts on even relatively small pieces of ply were safe and right on the money, as were crosscuts and angles on even fairly long boards. I got everything cut square and rabbeted and assembled in 1/2 the time I thought it would take.

I can see why you slider guys like your big saws so much! This one is small and simple but incredibly smooth and sturdy. The mass of the cast iron table probably makes it feel smoother. Makes me want to do another flatwood project now. :)

JKJ

Mike Kees
06-01-2018, 12:36 AM
Careful John ,it can be a very slippery slope!That is a very nice looking sliding table attachment.

Jim Becker
06-01-2018, 8:38 AM
I'm glad you finally got to enjoy that attachment, John. Very handy and it can bring some safety and a lot of precision. The singular downside to this kind of add-on, aside from the physical capabilities you mention, is that they don't butt up to the saw blade like a sliding saw's wagon does, but that's easily solvable with a little space and a lot of money. :) :D