PDA

View Full Version : 20” Davis and Wells bandsaw

Elliott Wilson
05-31-2018, 7:11 PM
Hi all
this 20” Davis and wells bandsaw is listed in my area for $500
ive been looking at the 1412 but haven’t able too pull the trigger on spending the $1300
is the DW a good saw or should I just wait until I can afford the Laguna

Van Huskey
05-31-2018, 7:23 PM
If it is in good shape it is a very good price. A very solid saw though you don't see many of them (more in California than anywhere). It is a lot more saw than the 1412. If it was local I would be on my way back with it while you are pondering...

Edwin Santos
05-31-2018, 7:46 PM
Hi,
I haven't owned one, but I've worked on one once and I thought it was an incredibly solid and smooth machine in the way that vintage cast iron bandsaws tend to be. A friend, who is a purist artisan woodworker, owns one and he's passionate about it. If it needs any restoration work, I hear there is an outfit in California that deals in parts and refurbishes these machines. I cannot tell if the one you are looking at is belt drive or direct drive.I think that saw came in both drive styles.

Van Huskey
05-31-2018, 8:12 PM
Hi,
I hear there is an outfit in California that deals in parts and refurbishes these machines.

Davisandwells.com The mothership location is why you see more of them on the west coast. The guy at Davis and Wells (forget his name) is a really nice guy and will spend plenty of time with you (they sell and refurbish all manner of used machines) on the phone. While their parts may not be cheap it often beats looking for what you need for months, just like using Redmond for Powermatic parts.

Bill Space
05-31-2018, 8:33 PM
Seven weeks ago I paid $900 for a Davis & Wells 20". $500 is a good price I would think.

I just got got back from a month out of town, so I am trying to to tune and adjust the saw for perfect operation.

Here are are a couple pictures of mine for reference. It has a 3 HP motor and a well built home brew mobile base. It is an older model than the one you are looking at, as mine does not have the miter slot. Mine has a fence which is sold by Woodcraft for $150 or so. Serial number is stamped on the front corner of the table. Mine is 2134. I am pretty happy with my purchase. For $500 ( or maybe less even?) I think you will be too. If you get there before it is sold that is...

Bill

Bill Dufour
05-31-2018, 11:26 PM
If it has a three phase motor that is a plus not a drawback.
Bill D.

Mark Gibney
06-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Bill - why is a 3-phase motor a plus? A buddy says the same thing, but hasn't explained it to me in a way I can understand.

Van Huskey
06-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Bill - why is a 3-phase motor a plus? A buddy says the same thing, but hasn't explained it to me in a way I can understand.

From a mechanical POV 3 phase is a similar motor. If you look at "broken" single phase motors the reason is more often than not part of the capacitive starting circuit which the 3 phase motor doesn't need. There are actually more benefits but in our usage, they become mainly theoretical.

From a buyer's POV 3 phase machines tend to sell cheaper than their single phase brethren. I keep expecting that to change with the cost of powering a 3 phase motor from single phase service dropping but I haven't really seen it here.

Bill Dufour
06-02-2018, 11:28 PM
I understand that bandsaws are hard on the blades with a instant start. A vfd slow start is easier on the machine especially if there is a transmission.
I do not think the variable speed is any advantage on a bandsaw. You can not slow a wood saw down low enough to cut metal with a vfd. It will lose too much horsepower with the drop in rpm to do any useful work. It will lose something like 19/20 horsepower.
Bill D