PDA

View Full Version : New rough cut

Neil Gaskin
05-30-2018, 11:03 PM
Is there somewhere online to stream the new rough cut? I’ve tried searching and come up empty. I don’t believe my local pbs has it. Thanks

Van Huskey
05-30-2018, 11:32 PM
Is there somewhere online to stream the new rough cut? I’ve tried searching and come up empty. I don’t believe my local pbs has it. Thanks

They post them for streaming on FWW https://www.finewoodworking.com/rough-cut/episodes

It may be behind the paywall, I am not sure, I didn't log out to check.

Edwin Santos
05-31-2018, 12:34 AM
It is behind a paywall at FWW. Without a subscription, all you will get is an episode trailer.

Van Huskey
05-31-2018, 1:39 AM
It is behind a paywall at FWW. Without a subscription, all you will get is an episode trailer.

That being the case the only other option would be to download the PBS app and see if it is there for you. It is not for me because my local channel is not airing it.

Lloyd McKinlay
05-31-2018, 10:47 AM
You might try contacting the local PBS affiliate. Mine will finally start airing the series on June 9th but it still doesn't show up on my Charter Cable channel guide.

jeff shanz
05-31-2018, 1:58 PM
Sure was better when there was no pay TV and everybody got everything. Look at us now. lol

Ben Rivel
06-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Sure was better when there was no pay TV and everybody got everything. Look at us now. lol
Did everyone actually "get everything" though?! We didnt really have a way of knowing what we weren't getting.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-04-2018, 11:43 AM

You obviously didn't live in places like Craig, CO, Kemmerer, WY or Blanding, UT in the late 50's or early 60's when 1/2 through Gun Smoke the sun was setting, the ionosphere shrinking, you lost the signal as a result. You didn't know for 60 years until one Saturday morning when a cable television network was playing the old westerns, how that episode ended!:eek:;):rolleyes::D

Van Huskey
06-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Everything we got free then (and more) is still free OTA and for most people the only cost is a ~20 antenna. Most of the network affiliates and PBS broadcast several digital channels so you may have as many as 20 free channels. There is also a ton of free streaming channels including the networks and PBS, but PBS varies by your location.

Brian Eaton
06-04-2018, 7:23 PM
is a FWW subscription worth it? I mainly do hand tool work (don't have any of the big power tools) but I enjoy the content and watching/learning new techniques.1

Van Huskey
06-04-2018, 9:17 PM
is a FWW subscription worth it? I mainly do hand tool work (don't have any of the big power tools) but I enjoy the content and watching/learning new techniques.1

That is hard to answer for someone else. However, just use the free membership (I think it is 2 weeks) and if you don't like it cancel. You may be able to suck all the goodness you like out in 14 days. Most people could at least find the time to watch the Rough Cut episodes in that time.

Keith Hankins
06-05-2018, 11:53 AM
You obviously didn't live in places like Craig, CO, Kemmerer, WY or Blanding, UT in the late 50's or early 60's when 1/2 through Gun Smoke the sun was setting, the ionosphere shrinking, you lost the signal as a result. You didn't know for 60 years until one Saturday morning when a cable television network was playing the old westerns, how that episode ended!:eek:;):rolleyes::D

I remember as a kid got cbs, nbc (some days if weather was right), and abc was barely visible through the snow. ….ahh remember test patterns and the anthem playing as he channel shut down.... good old bad old days.

Mike Walsh
06-05-2018, 12:19 PM
I've subscribed to FWW for a number of years and find it very worthwhile. In addition to new content, being able to search through the archives when I have a question (about almost anything woodworking-related) is great.

Also had another question about the new show - the sliding table saw that Tom uses seems to throw a large amount of dust (without the guard over the blade). Is this typical for this type of saw?

jeff shanz
06-05-2018, 6:55 PM
Having some problems replying to this thread. I had to log into another thread and then reply to Mr. Huskey's thread because trying to reply at the end of the thread causes a virus (malware) to pop up....anyway...

But yea those things are true regarding TV reception issues. I was a kid in the 70s and no one knew any better at the time because we were all in the same boat. Like today, we don't know what it's going to be like 40 years from now.

I pay $100 a month for satellite per month and I'd have to hook up an additional antenna to get some of the free channels that aren't offered on my paid satellite, like 'Create' on PBS. And there's no guarantee I'll get it if my house is tucked behind some trees somewhere where it can't be picked up. And if I do get it then of course I'll have to hook up a Tivo service if I want to record it.

David Utterback
06-05-2018, 7:46 PM
CET only has 3 episodes so far. Are there more available? The 3rd episode made the cover of the most recent FWW.

Timothy Shouldice
06-05-2018, 8:15 PM
Also had another question about the new show - the sliding table saw that Tom uses seems to throw a large amount of dust (without the guard over the blade). Is this typical for this type of saw?

I don't know whether that is anything specific to that saw but I'm sure one consideration is that it is being filmed on a set with lights. Think how much dust you see in the air in your living room when a sunbeam comes through the window.

But seriously, no guard? Not the best example.

Dave Richards
06-05-2018, 8:50 PM
My saw throws that kind of dust especially when I have the zero clearance throat plate installed or the zero clearance sled.

As for the lack of a guard, it probably doesn't set a great example but then that's the norm for woodworking shows. It's not unique to this show. "Guard removed for clarity."

Mike Walsh
06-06-2018, 9:45 AM
I'm sure the TV lights "magnify" the dust but the sliding saw seems to be throwing a lot more than the PM table saw that he also uses

Michael Weber
06-06-2018, 10:22 AM
You obviously didn't live in places like Craig, CO, Kemmerer, WY or Blanding, UT in the late 50's or early 60's when 1/2 through Gun Smoke the sun was setting, the ionosphere shrinking, you lost the signal as a result. You didn't know for 60 years until one Saturday morning when a cable television network was playing the old westerns, how that episode ended!:eek:;):rolleyes::DKen, I'm guessing Matt prevailed and all was good in the end.

Van Huskey
06-06-2018, 3:41 PM
CET only has 3 episodes so far. Are there more available? The 3rd episode made the cover of the most recent FWW.

FWW has 9 episodes currently available to stream.

Mike King
06-07-2018, 12:07 AM

it appears to me that he’s not using a dust collector. Also, he’s not appropriately using the slider — I’ve never seen anyone use a sled on a slider. It defeats the one of the key advantages of a slider.

Van Huskey
06-07-2018, 12:16 AM
Also, he’s not appropriately using the slider — I’ve never seen anyone use a sled on a slider. It defeats the one of the key advantages of a slider.

Some long term cabinet saw users will revert to "hybrid" methods on a slider. For some it is difficult to rewire their brain especially when it comes to jigs/sleds they have used for 30 years and 100% confident with.

Rick McQuay
06-07-2018, 2:49 AM
You can watch the original episodes here:
https://www.facebook.com/thomas.j.macdonald/

New ones are behind a paywall. First 3 are free but low res and blurry. Good info though.

Van Huskey
06-07-2018, 2:54 AM
You can watch the original episodes here:
https://www.facebook.com/thomas.j.macdonald/

New ones are behind a paywall. First 3 are free but low res and blurry. Good info though.

If you have Amazon Prime they have the first two seasons of the Tommy era on Prime Video.

Mike King
07-14-2018, 3:54 PM
I was just perusing the Felder website looking for a wrench to adjust my outrigger table, and I stumbled into the video section. Amazingly, there's several videos by McLaughlin showing how to use a sliding table saw and shaper for the projects in his series. It's remarkable that there was, to my knowledge, no mention made that would lead one to look for these videos. Furthermore, these videos delete the sled from his use on the slider. Much appreciated!