PDA

View Full Version : Kids projects

Todd Zucker
05-30-2018, 10:35 PM
I have a 10-year-old niece who seems to be interested in the projects I have going on in the workshop.

Can y’all recommend some projects or tasks for someone that age that would hold her interest but wouldn’t be dangerous.

Joe A Faulkner
05-30-2018, 11:09 PM
I just did a project with some kids, where they "made" a cutting board for their Mom for mother's day. This is what I refer to as a little "designer" cutting board. You can cut out all of the parts, and then have her help with the glue up, clamping and "unclamping". Get a cheap small paint brush and let her brush the glue on. After you plane or sand it down, let her put the mineral spirits finish on it.

Another easy project is a simple display shelf. You can prep the stock, but let her glue, clamp and finish. The display shelf can be oriented in which ever direction suits you.

You could also do a simple bookshelf or a Japanese storage box. Another fun project that kids typically like is a bird house.

John K Jordan
05-31-2018, 7:33 AM
Do you do any woodturning? I've had 10-year-olds and younger kids fascinated by woodturning. They help choose the wood, set up and learn to make some cuts, I do the difficult shaping, they might touch up with sandpaper and help with the finishing. (I eventually made a little platform for kids to stand on.) We often start a project by encouraging the child to make sketches of what they want to make - that makes it more "their" project.

386858 386859 386860 386861 386862

Other things we've done is make toys for younger siblings, cut out animal shapes, use markers to decorate Christmas ornaments, put together wooden kits (the kids love to sand and glue and nail), drill holes, and make little plywood rectangles to draw on and share with friends. The plywood "canvases" were very popular; we made a box of them to take to a preschool class for art time - I cut, grandson sanded the edges. Kids hardly ever get to draw on wood!

By grandson, age 4

The 7-year-old grandson is coming today for a week - he's already asked for shop time and has a project planned. :)

Oh, and as for tasks - I've had even little kids drill and tap and "help plan" and assemble projects, and a favorite task - apply wax to finished things and buff with a cloth.

386867 386868

Barney Markunas
05-31-2018, 8:44 AM
I've helped several dens of Cub Scouts about that age work their way through simple tool totes. No fancy joinery, just glue and screws to get the job done. My older son is out of the house now, but he still uses his to consolidate a basic happy homeowner tool kit like screwdrivers, pliers, a hammer and an adjustable wrench.

John C Cox
05-31-2018, 9:06 AM
Often the projects they cherish most are the ones that center around something they like.... If they love Pokemon - find a pattern and make a little Pokemon with them... Star Wars, their favorite Rap star, Nerf gun targets, a little bix to hold nail polish, Barbie shoe closet, Sports things, whatever. But make it about things they like if you can.

Next is to break it down into defined tasks - each should have a Start, Middle, and End. This way - they "Finish something" - which helps hold attention and interest.

Then try to plan projects around how much time you have. So if the grands are coming in for a weekend - figure out a project that they can finish in an hour or two across 2 days.

Matthew Hills
05-31-2018, 9:23 AM
In cub scouts, we did a rubber-band powered marshmallow catapult with hand tools. I prepped some of the parts, and the scouts did some measuring, sawing, and nailing to get it done. This worked well for this group.

I've always found Doug Stowe's Wisdom of the Hands blog to be interesting reading. He does some technique introduction, but there is more opportunity for the kids exploring their own project interests. I think this is an excellent structure when you've got more time with an individual kid -- like John's grandson above who already has his next project planned. For my son, some of the "projects" include:

slides and other things to use with his other toys. (hot glue and scraps and some minimal sawing)
miniature tetherball set -- scrap dowel and base. He drilled the base, we shimmed the dowel to get a snug fit, and then he used string and made a ball with glue and tape.
guinea pig maze -- inspired by Matthias Wandel's mouse maze experiments, he wanted to make something for his aunt's guinea pig. we discussed size and then bought some 1/2" MDF for base and walls. I precut a bunch of wall material and placed 1/4" holes in the edge. He then located each wall and used a dowel center finder to mark where he should drill for the dowels to assemble. Turned out well, although it then occupied a lot of shop space...
dog house -- he wanted to make something dog related, and settled on a dog house. He planned out the size and shape (that he was able to fit in), and we got approximately that from some scrap OSB. He cut the arched doorway with a jigsaw, then clamped it up and drilled and screwed the butt joints.
soap carving. (I'd think turning would bring out similar instincts; but I don't have a lathe)
pinewood derby cars

I would say that hot glue is helpful for kids projects. Even first graders seemed to be successful with it and it fit well with accomplishing their plans in a reasonable amount of time.

Matt

Todd Zucker
05-31-2018, 9:06 PM
All great ideas.

I don’t have a lathe yet, but it’s on the list.

i think gluing up cutting board pieces will be a great start, and she will have something to bring her mom. Then go for the more involved projects. Maybe I will learn something as well.

John K Jordan
05-31-2018, 9:46 PM
Oh, I forgot one little project that kids LOVE, especially girls. When I was a young teenager a woodworker down the street taught me some woodworking and one day helped me make one and I've made several since. Sorry I don't have a picture.

It's a little 2-drawer chest of drawers made from 3/4" shelving pine. The casing is just two side pieces, a bottom, a top slightly bigger than the bottom for a little overhang, a horizontal board to separate the shelves, and a piece of 1/4" plywood fastened to the back. Butt joints only, now fancy joinery, glue and nails. The two drawers are also simple boxes that fit loosely into the holes in the casing, no rails or guides. I don't think we even rabbeted the back of the frame to hide the edge of the plywood although that would be easy to do. A knob or two on each drawer, paint a nice bright enamel. (Kids love to paint too.) Very quick to make. You cut out the parts to make a "kit" she can assemble!

If I remember correctly the whole thing is only about a foot high and maybe 16-18" long, 9-10" deep. It makes a nice short stool to sit or stand on and the small overhang on the top makes it easy to carry around. I made one for my little sister over 50 years ago and I think she still has it! The one I made for my boys eventually looked like it was through the war but was still sturdy.

I'm kind of glad I remembered it. I think I know just the kid who would like to make one.

JKJ