PDA

View Full Version : Zero Clearance insert for Miter Saw

Bob Michaels
11-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Does anyone make their own zero clearance insert for a sliding compound miter saw? I just put one on my 12" Miter saw and it seems to be the bee's knees. Any comments? For any reason do I need a large kerf in the saw bed for some safety reason?

John Miliunas
11-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Bob, I can't swear about a slider but, I've done the same with a regular CMS and, you're right; It's really great for reducing tearout and, IMHO, safer! For instance, when cutting real thin material, much less chance of the material bending and getting pinched. Also, when doing real minute "sliver" cuts, there's less chance of the cutoff falling through the slot and getting caught back up in the spinning blade. When doing real fine cuts or just cutting tiny amounts of material off, I also make temporary ZC fence boards. Again, also helps with preventing the small cutoffs from getting thrown back out by the spinning blade.:) :cool:

Brian Jarnell
11-19-2005, 3:21 AM
I might give that a go.You can bet as soon as I do I will want to do a compound cut.:)

Jim DeLaney
11-19-2005, 7:37 AM
Does anyone make their own zero clearance insert for a sliding compound miter saw? I just put one on my 12" Miter saw and it seems to be the bee's knees. Any comments? For any reason do I need a large kerf in the saw bed for some safety reason?

I've been using on on my Hitachi CF8 for about ten years. It's great!. Reduces tearout significantly. Using the bevel (tilt) feature tends to widen the kerf, so I end up replacing the insert periodically.

Bob Michaels
11-19-2005, 8:53 AM
John, Brian, Jim - Thanks for the replies. Your comments confirm my thinking.:)

Regards, Bob

Ken Garlock
11-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Bob, it would appear that you do not have a Mikita miter saw. The Mikita has an adjustable insert on each side that allows you to cozy right up to the blade. No need for a homebrew insert. :)

John Miliunas
11-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Bob, it would appear that you do not have a Mikita miter saw. The Mikita has an adjustable insert on each side that allows you to cozy right up to the blade. No need for a homebrew insert. :)

Really???:confused: Wow...Never knew that about the Makita. That's pretty cool! The other OEM's should adopt something like that!:) Never fails to amaze me how so many home-brewed ideas are widely used but, never seem to make it to the production units! Nice to hear that Mak took the initiative to take such a simple function and add it to their units!:) :cool:

Dave Richards
11-19-2005, 1:38 PM
I made one for my DeWalt 12" slider. A piece of 1/4" ply was just the right thickness. It's been in place for several years and I doubt I could put my hands on the OEM parts without a hunt.

On cuts where it is important, I will put a piece of plywood or MDF along the fence to support the wood on either side of the cut.

Chris Fite
11-19-2005, 2:03 PM
For a quickie zero clearance insert, I just put down a strip of masking tape.

Jim DeLaney
11-19-2005, 2:17 PM
Bob, ...The Mikita has an adjustable insert on each side that allows you to cozy right up to the blade. No need for a homebrew insert. :)

So does the Hitachi SCMS, but a cut-to-fit wooden one works much better than the plastic pieces.

Brian Jarnell
11-19-2005, 2:40 PM
I attach a piece of MDF to the fence,cut a mitre right and left which gives you the exact position to cut mitres on beads etc.
Just in case that isn't clear,when cutting a bead inside a panel,I cut the first mitre then mark the position of the other mitre with a pencil mark,take that and put mark on the outside edge of MDF,resulting in a perfect fit into panel.
I hope that is clear.:)

David Fried
11-19-2005, 5:02 PM
So does the Hitachi SCMS, but a cut-to-fit wooden one works much better than the plastic pieces.

So does my Bosch SCMS but, again, a cut-to-fit wooden one works much better than the plastic pieces. Appears great minds think a like ;)

Paul Comi
11-20-2005, 1:45 AM
I made one for my DeWalt 12" slider. A piece of 1/4" ply was just the right thickness. It's been in place for several years and I doubt I could put my hands on the OEM parts without a hunt.

On cuts where it is important, I will put a piece of plywood or MDF along the fence to support the wood on either side of the cut.

Made one out of scrap oak for my Dewalt 12" slider and it worked perfectly until I let someone make a cut with my saw only once and they widened the kerf by pressing stock into the blade to make a cut. Until then, the zci effect worked perfectly to give an indication of where my cut would be. I need to make another one because its just too valuable to not have. FWIW, I tried to slide in the inserts on the saw and they didn't close up to give me the right fit.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Yep, I make 'em for my LS-1013 every month (about 5)...we got through them quite often. I hated the stock inserts with a passion!

I make mine from 1/4" Birch or Oak ply.