PDA

View Full Version : Identify wood? Mabe birch, ebony, and Philippine Mahogany?

Doug Hobkirk
05-29-2018, 5:50 PM
I reorganized my lumber rack (all lumber that isn't pine (unless clear) or ply. Found 2 curly maple boards (7' x 6" x 4/4) so I started a laptop rolling desk project - Hooray! But I also found several unknown woods. Maybe my pictures and details are sufficient that someone can remotely identify them. I do not remember where I got most of the wood.

Birch? It looks to me like hardwood but not maple or oak or cherry. I have zero experience with birch or poplar, but the grain and color look wrong per "The Wood Database." It feels slightly dense.
In all cases I took several pictures in outside lighting and selected the most accurate pictures.
386750 - 386751
Ebony? This is hard and heavy. I think it might have been used as a talisman or something like that. I found it at a non-woodworking yard sale.
386752 - 386753 - 386754
Philippine Mahogany? I have 3 pieces, I think, 2 probably from a shipping crate (for Lauan plywood from Japan, I think) and one from sources unknown. I guess PM because of the color.
386755-

I was lucky and found wood I had forgotten

quilted maple, 2 boards, 7' 6" x 4/4, now the top of a rolling laptop desk project
a piece of teak (84" x 7 x 7/4 - bought at a WW garage sale 25 years ago for $30). When I saw the price of Teak, I decided to try sell it on eBay or locally.
a sole piece of cherry (72" x 8" x 6/4). Is it hard to match cherry?

Boy, it sure feels great to have the lumber rack organized.

Thanks.

andy bessette
05-29-2018, 6:47 PM
Better quality photos would help. But the 2nd could be bubinga. The 3rd possibly African mahogany.

Earl McLain
05-29-2018, 9:15 PM
Some of the color I think I see in the second one reminds me of cocobolo. Hard to say.
earl

John K Jordan
05-31-2018, 7:46 AM
Birch?
Ebony?
Philippine Mahogany?

Section 7 on this page: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-identification-guide/

Doug Hobkirk
06-01-2018, 5:26 PM
Andy, Bubinga seems possible, after checking the pictures in Wood Database. I thought the pictures worked out quite accurately on 2 & 3. I tried but failed to get a decent photo showing the grain pattern on #1.
Earl, Cocobolo does seem possible, although I think the end grain looks slightly off. But I was pleased to check it out.
John, I had already discovered Wood Database, and I've read the entire page you linked to. Which I thought VERY impressive, including Step 1, is it actually wood?

I thank you for taking the time to chime in and offer your opinions/suggestions. I was reasonably sure if was unlikely to work out, but I often get surprised on forums.

Better quality photos would help. But the 2nd could be bubinga. The 3rd possibly African mahogany.

Some of the color I think I see in the second one reminds me of cocobolo. Hard to say.
earl

Section 7 on this page: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-identification-guide/