PDA

View Full Version : Identify the model of this Delta table saw?

Andy Emerson
05-29-2018, 10:50 AM
Hi,

I've been looking for a while for a better quality used table saw. Can you identify the model number of this saw? This saw is for sale ($750).

Here's what I know: Delta, 3HP, 220 volt, Unifence.

He's not close to where the saw is and won't be there until Saturday.

This seems like a good deal, thoughts?

Andrew DiLorenzo
05-29-2018, 11:26 AM
I have an older model of this saw, and $750.00 is a reasonable price. The unifence is sometimes an after market add on for several hundred dollars. Check if it is single phase or three phase, as the voltage does not really say that. Left tilt or right tilt is a deal breaker for some, ask to find out.

Mike Manning
05-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Make sure you know if it's single phase or 3PH. Most of us don't have 3PH power and there will be additional cost to make that work. It looks to be in reasonable condition. I'd be curious to know if this is an Asian or American made machine. I'd have more confidence in it if it was American made. Good luck.

PS I see now that Andrew already mentioned 1PH vs 3PH power.

Bill Dufour
05-29-2018, 11:31 AM
I see a motor cover on the left so I say left tilt.
Bill D.

Mike Walsh
05-29-2018, 12:11 PM
The Delta "10" Tilting Arbor" saw that I have is 220V/1PH and is right tilt

andy bessette
05-29-2018, 12:17 PM
You could buy a Unisaw for that price.

glenn bradley
05-29-2018, 12:27 PM
Bill D.

Actually the motor protrusion is a matter of trunnion design. The first pic shows it as a right tilt machine. This is of no consequence to many; I'd pass but, I have too many years on a left tilt that colors my view.

Marshall Harrison
05-29-2018, 12:35 PM
Bill D.

The zero point on the gauge is on the righ side so when tilting the handle/poiner moves to teh left. Doesn't that require a right tilt saw?

Also I though the older right-tilt Unisaws were not marked as to the tilt and the name plate contained "Left-Tilt" if it was left tilt since that is what was new to the market during that time period.

Brad Patch
05-29-2018, 1:29 PM
Andy,

I'm not convinced that this is a Unisaw, if it is the placards on the front of the saw will say Unisaw. Delta made models of this nature which are just contractor saws dressed in a unisaw style cabinet. If its not a Unisaw, its not worth anything close to the asking price. Even genuine Unisaws can be had for short money. There will most likely a model number which can be used to differentiate between Unisaws and contractor saws. The internal components of a genuine unisaw are much more robust than a contractor saw. The internal components of a Unisaw are bolted to the top of the cabinet, the components of a contractor saw are bolted to the top of the saw. This difference will become very important when you try and align the saw blade to the miter slot.
Brad

Bill Adamsen
05-29-2018, 2:03 PM
Very interesting, right tilt but with the motor on left. Otherwise it looks pretty much like my 1980's Unisaw 34-802. I did a quick look on Google images and there are some very recent models with that configuration ... but nothing with that cabinet. As Brad says, perhaps a contractor saw made to look like a Unisaw? Unisaws are a good machine, but that price is at the top end of the scale. Prices on these things seem to be very regionally dependent and you post doesn't indicate where you are.

Andy Emerson
05-29-2018, 3:24 PM
Thanks to all for your feedback. I'll just wait until Saturday when he goes to the shop to get the model number. I'm in Atlanta and can't seem to ever find used Unisaw's for sale here (Or other better quality saws)

Bill Dufour
05-29-2018, 3:44 PM
It is clearly labeled it is a "tilting arbor saw' it is not a unisaw or a contractors saw. I believe it pre-dates the hybrid saw.

Bill D
read third post down in this thread link.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?106428-Delta-Cabinet-saw

David Kumm
05-29-2018, 8:15 PM
As others have said, this is a saw that had lighter internals and sold at a cheaper price than the unisaw. Price is high unless you really like the fence. I'm a fan of the Unifence but not of the saw at that price. Too many choices in the Unisaw PM 66 used market. Dave

Brad Patch
05-30-2018, 7:50 AM
Andy,

There are three Unisaws available on Craigslist in the Atlanta area, check out the one in Winder.

Brad

Andy Emerson
05-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Thanks Brad!!! Stupid me, I having just been searching "table saw" :( I will utilize varied searching now. Thanks, Andy

Matt Day
05-30-2018, 1:18 PM
As said, that may not be a Unisaw. I thought the rule of thumb is that if it doesn’t say “Unisaw” it’s a contractors saw in disguise.
Doubtful it has a true 3hp motor then too.

Dave Sabo
05-30-2018, 7:37 PM
That is definitely NOT a unisaw.

It's not worth $750 either.

Bruce Wrenn
05-30-2018, 8:15 PM
I don't think any of the "hybrid saws" came with a 3 HP motor, nor did they run on 220. All came with a 110 only motors, as this was the market Delta was aiming for.

Mark Katz
05-30-2018, 8:32 PM
Pretty sure it's a 36-752 which is the 52" Unifence version of the 36-755. Mine came with a 30" Jet-lock fence and cost about $900 in 1991 or so. The Unifence versions were probably $100 - 200 higher. Definitely not worth $750 now.

It's a hybrid saw from before that term became widely used. It's 2 HP, single-phase, 220V.

Basically it was a contractor's saw mounted in a cabinet with an upgraded motor. As such, the motor and trunions are hung from the table rather than mounted to the cabinet as the Unisaw does.

I've had mine for 27 years now and it usually serves me well. I've occasionally wished I had something better but mostly it suit me fine. The biggest issue is that it is really hard to do alignment adjustments on it because everything is "around a corner" inside the cabinet. However, once adjusted it has held pretty well.

If you're looking for a decent but cheap saw and can bargain it down to, I don't know, $400 maybe, then I'd consider it. If you want a closer to top of the line saw, this isn't it.

Mike Heidrick
05-30-2018, 8:33 PM
No. I owned a right tilt arbor saw. (36-752). Cover was on left. It was 220v 1ph. It was made in the usa and all unisaw accessories fit it. It was 2.25hp marathon motor. Mine had a unifence. I was able to use a delta unisaw drop in splitter as well.

Mike Heidrick
05-30-2018, 8:35 PM
I sold it for $1200 with a router table plate in ext table and 7518 in plate and second fence, back in 2006. Guy drove down from Chicago for it. I explained it was not a unisaw. He did not care. I never needed a unisaw when i had it.

Brian Nguyen
05-30-2018, 8:44 PM
This looks like my last table saw, which was a Delta 36-752 with a Biesemeyer fence, 2HP motor on 220V. It's a hybrid saw before hybrids were a "thing". I bought it for $450, sold it a year later for $550 because I wanted a saw with true riving knife. Otherwise it was fine for my needs.

The model originally sold in the 90's for around $1k according to a poster in this SMC thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?106428-Delta-Cabinet-saw

Andrew DiLorenzo
05-30-2018, 9:01 PM
That looks like some solid cast iron on that saw table. Do the cheaper models have that?

Mike Heidrick
05-31-2018, 1:55 AM
Its all but a unisaw. Table mounted trunnions and 2.25hp not 3hp. Cabinet was nice but the dc port was kinda lousy.