PDA

View Full Version : ODP or TEFC for rotary phase converter?

Steve Mathews
05-28-2018, 1:56 PM
I plan to purchase a 10HP rotary phase converter soon to power a Bridgeport mill and metal lathe in my combination woodworking and metalworking barn/shop. The idler motor will be located in a separate area that has one wall open to the outside. That will probably be OK for an ODP motor but I may want to relocate it inside sometime in the future where it might come in contact with a slight amount of sawdust. Would it be advisable to get a TEFC motor instead

Mike Heidrick
05-28-2018, 2:36 PM
Tefc and they make motors purpose made for rpc with no shaft.

You adding your own ideler to a custom build?

Bill Dufour
05-28-2018, 4:04 PM
The only advantage of a non TEFC motor is they are cheaper to buy and can be a little lighter in weight.
Bill D

Steve Mathews
05-28-2018, 4:13 PM
Tefc and they make motors purpose made for rpc with no shaft.

You adding your own ideler to a custom build?

I'm planning to purchase a complete unit from American Rotary. Making one would be preferred but I've given up trying to find a suitable motor.

Bruce Wrenn
05-28-2018, 9:56 PM
I don't see the need for a 10 HP RPC. I built my neighbor a RPC that uses a 3 HP motor, driven by a dryer motor to get it to speed. FYI, most dryer motors have a lead that voltage appears on only when motor is up to speed. This can be used to pull in latching relay for RPC to receive current. Neighbor has a Bridgeport and a Sharpe Lathe operating on his RPC.

Steve Mathews
05-29-2018, 2:07 PM
I don't see the need for a 10 HP RPC. I built my neighbor a RPC that uses a 3 HP motor, driven by a dryer motor to get it to speed. FYI, most dryer motors have a lead that voltage appears on only when motor is up to speed. This can be used to pull in latching relay for RPC to receive current. Neighbor has a Bridgeport and a Sharpe Lathe operating on his RPC.

As mentioned earlier I haven't had much luck finding a 3 phase motor for the idler, 3HP or otherwise. I probably don't need a 10HP rotary for now, especially for the Bridgeport but I would like to upgrade my Victor 1440G lathe sometime in the future.

Bruce Wrenn
05-30-2018, 9:02 PM
As mentioned earlier I haven't had much luck finding a 3 phase motor for the idler, 3HP or otherwise. I probably don't need a 10HP rotary for now, especially for the Bridgeport but I would like to upgrade my Victor 1440G lathe sometime in the future.Most salvage yards have a pile of 3 phase motors that were removed from service, generally due to a bad bearing. It is getting harder to get into yards due to liability reasons. You might check with a mill wright, or crane service for a used motor off a removed machine. They generally go straight to the junk yard.

Bill Dufour
06-03-2018, 10:27 AM
I did not realize until a few years ago that TEFC does not mean dust tight or water tight. Sawdust and rain can still get inside a TEFC motor. It takes longer but they can get too much dust inside and have premature switch and bearing problems.
Bill

Mike Heidrick
06-03-2018, 12:44 PM
I run tefc motors at 60hz. Cooling was designed for that.

Using a vfd intelligent relay and input and start stop station/s you can have the vfd/dc be tool tiggered and a timed stop delay that can reset if another tool is used ( not shut off) between tool starts. Vfds are awesome.

Carlos Alvarez
06-03-2018, 2:06 PM
I see big motors and whole rotary converters sell pretty cheap around here. I feel like they're just not popular. Here's an example: https://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/d/10hp-rotary-phase-converter/6582632215.html

And the local used woodworking tool store has two 10HP motors for sale cheap.

Steve Mathews
06-05-2018, 10:42 AM
I see big motors and whole rotary converters sell pretty cheap around here. I feel like they're just not popular. Here's an example: https://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/d/10hp-rotary-phase-converter/6582632215.html

And the local used woodworking tool store has two 10HP motors for sale cheap.

Care to share a name of the store that has the rotary phase converters cheap. I'm about to purchase a 10HP unit.

Carlos Alvarez
06-05-2018, 10:54 AM
Care to share a name of the store that has the rotary phase converters cheap. I'm about to purchase a 10HP unit.

I said the local store had two MOTORS for sale, not two converters. It's Timber Woodworking in Mesa, AZ. Always worth a look, but I've never seen a converter there. I've purchased a couple of motors from them for great prices. That CL ad I linked is still up, so it's worth a look.

Steve Mathews
06-05-2018, 12:28 PM
I said the local store had two MOTORS for sale, not two converters. It's Timber Woodworking in Mesa, AZ. Always worth a look, but I've never seen a converter there. I've purchased a couple of motors from them for great prices. That CL ad I linked is still up, so it's worth a look.

Thanks Carlos! I contacted Timber Woodworking and they couldn't find any 10HP motors in their inventory. Working on the other PC you mentioned but they may be a bit far from Kingman to make it worthwhile.

Carlos Alvarez
06-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Thanks Carlos! I contacted Timber Woodworking and they couldn't find any 10HP motors in their inventory. Working on the other PC you mentioned but they may be a bit far from Kingman to make it worthwhile.

I used to live in "bird lanes" in Kingman, long long ago. Wonder if they still use that term for the area.

They sell a lot of used stuff. Last time I was there was two months ago, so I'm not surprised they sold them. You can look at their live used tool inventory online. My most recent score was a Kufo 3HP motor with 12" impeller for $200.

Oro Valley is at the far North end of Tucson, so while still a long drive, you don't have to navigate the city.

Steve Mathews
06-05-2018, 1:35 PM
I used to live in "bird lanes" in Kingman, long long ago. Wonder if they still use that term for the area.

They sell a lot of used stuff. Last time I was there was two months ago, so I'm not surprised they sold them. You can look at their live used tool inventory online. My most recent score was a Kufo 3HP motor with 12" impeller for $200.

Oro Valley is at the far North end of Tucson, so while still a long drive, you don't have to navigate the city.

There is an area of Kingman with bird name streets but I'm not that familiar with it. We live in an area south of town in the Hualapai Mtn. foothills.