PDA

View Full Version : A good smack in the head

Steven Mikes
05-28-2018, 12:50 PM
My wife decided two days before going to spend the night at her cousin's house that a good gift would be for her to make a drawing. All well and good, but that of course meant that I was on the hook to make a frame for it in the same amount of time :\ I decided to leave the walnut piece longer and cut the rebate first before making the crosscuts to get the necessary lengths for the frame. The piece was about 3' long; I clamped it into my vise and was cutting away merrily with my ECE rebate plane when *THWACK*: the far end of the work piece slipped out of the vice jaws whilst the near end remained, thus pivoting under the force of my plane (which was just starting at the end) and causing the far end to flip up and smack me in the forehead hard enough to draw blood. I'll be making such cuts with the piece firmly on the workbench from now on :)

Bill Houghton
05-28-2018, 1:21 PM
Roy Underhill would shake your hand and welcome you to the order of bloody hand tool workers.

I've used them just once or twice, making them custom for the job each time, but a planing board is a good thing to have for small work.

Mel Fulks
05-28-2018, 1:29 PM
Steven, sounds like that vise might be Whamo Novelty gift. To really enjoy it you will need a hard hat!

Jim Koepke
05-28-2018, 3:40 PM
Ouch!

This kind of thing often happens when we are rushed to an unreasonable dead line.

jtk

James Pallas
05-30-2018, 4:01 PM
I forgot to tie off the end of the rooooooooooooo-thud-pe.
Jim

Malcolm Schweizer
05-30-2018, 4:06 PM
Well, it could be worse- you could have been working on it mounted vertical in the vise, and it could have hit you in a "much lower portion of the anatomy", wink, wink, nod, nod! ! !

Jerry Olexa
05-31-2018, 12:55 AM
Working under time pressure not good....

Steven Mikes
06-01-2018, 1:03 AM
Haha yeah of all the places on the body to get whacked by a board, the forehead is not too bad. Glad my head was tilted down slightly so it didn't break my glasses.