PDA

View Full Version : Manzanita burl vessel

Travis Stinson
11-18-2005, 8:05 PM
My 1st big show is coming up 2 weeks from today:eek: . I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks, trying to get ready:D . Here's a first for me. I've seen others in this style with the top removable, but I decided to leave it intact and hollow the inside. The Blackwood finial is fitted in place and is removable. Several coats of lacquer wet sanded then buffed. 14" across by 8" to the top of the finial.

Dick Strauss
11-18-2005, 8:30 PM
Travis,
that piece is fantastic! It looks almost like one of the Aussie burl woods like red gum or jarrah.

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!:)

Jim Ketron
11-18-2005, 8:53 PM
Travis you amaze me with each piece you do!:eek:
The form and finish is great!
Awesome work!

Loy Hawes
11-18-2005, 9:07 PM
Gorgeous piece! That finial is perfect.Nicely done Travis!

Was the manzanita hard to turn?

Keith Burns
11-18-2005, 9:21 PM
WOW Travis that is absolutely beautiful !!! Just perfect:) :) :) . Your eye for form and how to fit the form to the wood is excellent. I guess for the next two weeks you will rival Jims recent preparation for his show.:eek: :D :eek: .

Sending you a PM

Travis Stinson
11-18-2005, 9:27 PM
Loy, it was very hard at first, but hollowed pretty easily. Had lots of imbedded dirt and had to keep a close watch for rocks!:eek:

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-18-2005, 9:33 PM
I thought I came up with CRACKED wood, but you folks make mine look 'wimpy" Great lookin' piece.

Bruce

Michael Stafford
11-18-2005, 9:40 PM
Shades of Cindy Drozda with a twist. The first time the person who buys that piece, and it will sell no matter what price you put on it, picks up the finial expecting the lid to lift off and the finial comes off in their hand they are going to cry thinking that they have broken that beautiful covered bowl.... I guess it depends on how complete your illusion of a separate lid is. It is just beautiful! That wood is so spectacular and the skill it must take to turn such a piece is way above my pay grade. Wonderful. I just don't see how you can part with it!:D

Bill Stevener
11-18-2005, 9:41 PM
Excellent work Travis, that should be a real eye catcher at the show.
However, only one question, WHATS the wood man, whats the wood??

Very, very nice.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)
Just saw it in the title--------------------ooooops

Mark Cothren
11-18-2005, 9:45 PM
Sorry Trav, but nothing else I can say..................... WOW! :D

That is one of my all-time favorites right there, my friend!

Thanks for the picture!

John Nicholas
11-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Great Looking Piece.

Is the lid a tight fit to the bottom? or does it fit like a lid on one of the cooks cassarole dishes?

Did you turn the piece down and then part the lid off? So in effect it was on the log about where it rests on the finished piece. Like a box lid? Or did you start with two different pieces of the burl?

Great Looking Piece. I can only practice and practice. Someday my skills might make a try at something similar a reasonable proposition. :)

John

Travis Stinson
11-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.
John, the domed top and the bowl are one piece, it doesn't come off. It's hollowed inside like a conventional hollow form and the finial comes off, like a box top. I started to part the top off for a lid, but decided to leave it one piece, especially with the voids in the top.

Chris Barton
11-19-2005, 7:04 AM
OOOOHH, that is a very special piece!

Andy Hoyt
11-19-2005, 7:22 AM
Oustanding. Give the boy an A+.

Bill Grumbine
11-19-2005, 7:43 AM
Very nice work Travis! Two weeks to get ready eh? You might need some of that quick dry finish stuff. ;)

Bill

John Hart
11-19-2005, 8:24 AM
Travis...you just reminded me that I gotta long long looooonnnng way to go!!!! Absolutely stunning!:)

Carole Valentine
11-19-2005, 9:34 AM
Wow! Don't need to say any more! Question though...do you sign your work "after" finishing? I find it much harder to burn a crisp signature after a finish is applied.

Travis Stinson
11-19-2005, 5:24 PM
Carol, I sign them with a Dremel engraver as soon as I finish sanding the bottom, before any finish goes on.

Ed Scolforo
11-19-2005, 9:51 PM
Now, that's what I'm talking about!

John Nicholas
11-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.
John, the domed top and the bowl are one piece, it doesn't come off. It's hollowed inside like a conventional hollow form and the finial comes off, like a box top. I started to part the top off for a lid, but decided to leave it one piece, especially with the voids in the top.

Thanks Travis for the details. Tricky turning to have those wings wopping around.

I like the piece.

John

Ernie Nyvall
11-21-2005, 7:49 PM
Beautiful Travis. I hope you do well at the show so break a leg. Your work is surely wonderful.
Thanks for the pics.

Ernie

sascha gast
11-21-2005, 7:58 PM
stunning, I need to get some of that wood. beautiful form and finish

sascha