PDA

View Full Version : Had a Visit Today

George Summers
06-28-2003, 8:17 PM
Had a nice visit from a fellow Creek Wader today, Bob Janka. We sat around the shop for about two hours and talked about wood, tools and aircraft urinals. It is always nice to meet fellow woodworkers and put a face to a name. Come back anytime Bob.

George

John Miliunas
06-28-2003, 9:36 PM
Had a nice visit from a fellow Creek Wader today, Bob Janka. We sat around the shop for about two hours and talked about wood, tools and aircraft urinals. It is always nice to meet fellow woodworkers and put a face to a name. Come back anytime Bob.

George

OK, I'll bite: I can understand the two hours. I can understand the wood and tools. BUT, what's up with the aircraft urinals?! :confused: :cool:

Jim Becker
06-28-2003, 10:49 PM
OK, I'll bite: I can understand the two hours. I can understand the wood and tools. BUT, what's up with the aircraft urinals?!

My thoughts exactly... :D

My visit from a SMC "lurker" today was pleasant but definately different. After taking a trip to my favority wood supplier, local woodworker Joanne A. and I toured my shop and discussed projects for awhile. And there was no mention of any part of an airplane!!!

Visits are always nice.

George Summers
06-29-2003, 7:14 AM
John and Jim -

You will either have to come by and visit or try and wrest the answer from Bob :cool: . Thats what's cool about visiting, you learn all sorts of neat things.

George

Bob Janka
06-29-2003, 2:08 PM

George

Folks,

Time flew while I was visiting George. He has a nice medium sized shop (16' x 20') with a wide assortment of tools. George is a "master" scrounger and has a very functional dust collection system. He uses some 4" diameter pressboard tubes (from carpet rolls) as the main trunks of his ducting. He has started replacing these with PVC 4" tubes, but the original was a great value (no cost and highly functional).

His shop has the requisite table saw, band saw, planer, joiner, and drill press. His router table, made from an old metal student's desk with a drop-in plate to hold the router, has a pivoting fence with 3 pivot holes to match the workpiece width.

My head is full of ideas he used to solve various problems. I'll have to write down most of them so I don't lose them. His shop is an inspiration to those of us who are pinching pennies.

I did get a chance to see a large Red Oak bookcase he made from the shop and I was amazed at the skill & craftmanship it exhibits. One very cool feature is the back panel. Although it is 1/4" Oak plywood, George routed some vertical grooves before staining. The end result makes it look like T&G boards.

George is a very gracious host. It was a sincere honor for me to spend an afternoon chatting with an accomplished woodworker and gentleman. Thanks for letting me visit, George!

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. Send me e-mail or a private message if you want to hear the story about the "aircraft urinal". ;)