PDA

View Full Version : Question about storage of lacquer, acetone, thinner, etc

Mike Baker 2
05-26-2018, 6:57 PM
Hi,
I'm a hobby guitar builder and repair tech.I live in a trailer, and there is limited room. We have a center bedroom that I have converted into a sort of music room/indoor workshop. I have a 2' x 4' bench in what used to be a closet with sliding doors(which I removed) that is used to do "clean" work on guitars, repairs, etc. But recently one end of said bench has acquired a pile of this sort of stuff stacked up. Lacquer, thinner, acetone, preval sprayers. I really need to move this from the bench to make room to actually use it. But I have no room to put it anywhere else in the home.
I have a metal shed outdoors. Will it hurt any of this stuff to move it to the shed?
I'm in Virginia, and it gets cold in the winter here.
Thanks.

John C Cox
05-26-2018, 8:06 PM
Put it on a shelf outside in your shed. Just keep the cans off the ground and well sealed.

Denatured alcohol picking up water once you open the can is a problem no matter what you do... So just buy that stuff in small quantities as you need it. Otherwise - it will be fine.

Mike Baker 2
05-26-2018, 8:11 PM
Thanks, John. Much appreciated.
I have a shelf picked out. :D

Lee Schierer
05-26-2018, 8:13 PM
Having witnessed several mobile home fires, and seeing how fast they spread to the entire structure, I would not store anything that flammable inside. Store it in a metal building or locker some distance from your home.

al heitz
05-27-2018, 10:37 AM
Does anyone have a fireproof storage box for their solvents and other volatiles? If you do, where did you source it? I know there are cabinet size ones for $400-500 if I remember correctly. I'm looking for something smaller about the size of a milk crate. I get a little edgy thinking of the lineup in my basement of quart cans of mineral spirits, naptha, acetone, lacquer thinner, dna, blo, and rattle cans. I recently had a can (forget what it was) leak out while I was gone for a few days. I could simply use a metal container like a stainless steel pan to catch leaks, but that would not take care of the fumes which could ignite when a furnace or water heater kicks in. Any resources appreciated.