PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist posting category for found pets?

Stephen Tashiro
05-26-2018, 2:46 PM
How do I post a notice about a found pet on craiglist?

When I try to post a notice on craigslist about a "Found" cat, I'm told to choose a category from a list that has things like "job offered" "service offered" - nothing to do with a Found pet. There are no "lost&found" or "pets" among the categories, even though those phrases are titles of sections on craigslist.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-26-2018, 3:35 PM
Do you have a Community > Pets option for your area? Or a Community > Lost+found option for your area?

It's been years since I last posted a "Found Dog" on craigslist. I posted a general "found female 40-60 lb black dog" description hoping the owner would have enough info to contact me with proof this was their dog. Be warned that all sorts of <ahem> "helpful" people will respond with all sorts of flame mail on how you are doing everything wrong under the sun for this poor animal. (I never posted anything about giving it away to just anyone. All I did was indicate a dog was found.)

Stephen Tashiro
05-26-2018, 4:00 PM
Do you have a Community > Pets option for your area? Or a Community > Lost+found option for your area?

Yes, but trying to create a post in that area brings up the page with a list of categories that's missing anything about "lost&found" or "pets".

Edit: I figured out the proper category to select is "Community'. After that, you get the options for "lost&found" and "pets".

Nathan Johnson
05-26-2018, 4:35 PM
I don't know anything about craigslist, but have you taken it to a vet to see if it's microchipped?

Dave Lehnert
05-28-2018, 11:19 PM
Do you have a facebook page?

My neighborhood has a Facebook page and people post all the time about lost and found pets with good success getting them back to the owner.

Curt Harms
05-29-2018, 7:17 AM
I don't know anything about craigslist, but have you taken it to a vet to see if it's microchipped?

Shelters may be able to read microchips as well. We had experience with that, a gray female cat invited herself in one day. We took her to our vet and she was chipped. Her owner was found and retrieved her.

Jerome Stanek
05-29-2018, 7:21 AM
Do you have a facebook page?

My neighborhood has a Facebook page and people post all the time about lost and found pets with good success getting them back to the owner.

What is this Facebook that I keep hearing about. Is it a book that you smack someone in the face with

John K Jordan
05-29-2018, 9:26 AM

I found a dog last year, spotted running stray in the area for a few weeks. I did this to see if someone had reported it missing:

Called the county animal control officers
Called the animal shelters
Called all the local vets
Checked the newspaper classifieds
I drove around the county looking for "lost dog" signs on telephone poles. I had the dog with where he could look out and watched him for signs that he knew the area.
And took it to the vet and had it checked for a micro chip

I didn't think of Craigslist. However, not long after I adopted the dog we discovered where he ran away from. The guy decided he didn't have time for the dog and it was better off at out place. The dog is microchipped now.

JKJ

Peter Kelly
05-29-2018, 10:01 AM
Check the listings or create a (free) post at PetKey (https://petkey.org).

Mel Fulks
05-29-2018, 1:26 PM
John,that dog is a good judge of character. I bet he will make himself useful.

Stephen Tashiro
05-29-2018, 8:21 PM

I have a pet scanner. The cat is not microchipped.

Myk Rian
06-01-2018, 10:10 PM
For the love of louie. A lost pet service.
Google it.
I would stay away from CL. Too many scoundrels.