PDA

View Full Version : been away, now I'm back, here's my current project

Stuart Kent
05-26-2018, 5:55 AM
Hello All, It's been a long time since I was last on Sawmill Creek due to a new little family member, a major shop move, a major house move, and all that goes - with all of that...

anyway, I wanted to share my current project. I am making a series of 300 bowls in three sizes (16" diameter x 6" deep, 14" diameter x 4" deep, 10" diameter x 3" deep). The material is post oak and was provided to me by the customer. The wood was not in the best shape - but it has significant historical value so i have to use every scrap! Here are a few photos in reverse order from finished bowl to raw material. Thanks for taking a look.

Glenn C Roberts
05-26-2018, 6:48 AM
Top Shelf! Very "warm". Nicely done. Could you describe the "chattering?" process?

John K Jordan
05-26-2018, 7:45 AM
Wow, what an ambitious project!

I like the carving on the rim of the finished bowl.

I've never turned post oak but I understand it's similar to other white oak species. Is that your experience?

daryl moses
05-26-2018, 8:26 AM
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. That is some rough looking lumber, but I love the finished product. Very nice indeed!!!!

Eugene Dixon
05-26-2018, 9:22 AM
Welcome back my friend.

Thomas Wilson80
05-26-2018, 11:12 AM
Beautiful! What is your finish?
tom

Brian Kent
05-26-2018, 5:49 PM
Good name, Mr Kent. Looks like a lot of artwork ahead of you.

Robert Hayward
05-26-2018, 7:38 PM
300 ?? To say it is an ambitious project is quite the understatement. The finished bowl pictured looks excellent to my eye. I also am interested in how you did the rim detail. I really like it.

Stuart Kent
05-27-2018, 6:56 AM
Top Shelf! Very "warm". Nicely done. Could you describe the "chattering?" process?

Wow, what an ambitious project!

I like the carving on the rim of the finished bowl.

I've never turned post oak but I understand it's similar to other white oak species. Is that your experience?

Beautiful! What is your finish?
tom

Good name, Mr Kent. Looks like a lot of artwork ahead of you.

300 ?? To say it is an ambitious project is quite the understatement. The finished bowl pictured looks excellent to my eye. I also am interested in how you did the rim detail. I really like it.

thanks all, I appreciate the feedback! and likewise to you Mr. Kent - such a fine name indeed sir!
My uncle is a retired botanist and according to him post oak is a variety of white oak, so named because they were typically cut for fence posts (way back) and weren't therefore allowed to grow to significant size. This one in particular reached a breast diameter height of about 36"
Scale is always difficult in photos, but the rim detail is hand carved, and each gouge mark is close to 1/4". I use the indexer on my lathe to hold it steady and advance it as a section is completed.
For the finish I fume them with 22% ammonium hydroxide for 4 hours to accentuate the medulary rays. Then I ebonize the rim by hand applying iron acetate. Then I apply one coat of dark brown Danish oil followed by three coats of briwax.

Mike Wilkins
05-30-2018, 9:17 AM
Fine work indeed. I hope to visit your new shop soon since I live just down the road outside Winterville.
All those blanks should keep you busy for a while.

Eugene Dixon
05-30-2018, 1:31 PM
Mike Wilkins,
The NCFS Turners meet, 6/2 at 10:00 AM at Stuart's shop, a.k.a., the NC Furniture School.
Come and take a turn with us. Dutch treat lunch at Bum's following.

Stuart Kent
05-30-2018, 9:13 PM
Fine work indeed. I hope to visit your new shop soon since I live just down the road outside Winterville.
All those blanks should keep you busy for a while.

thanks. Come out and join us Saturday morning for the turning club meeting