PDA

View Full Version : "Gold" paint options

Jim Becker
05-25-2018, 10:26 AM
I'm likely going to have a few sign opportunities "real soon now" where there will be an expectation of "gold" lettering. I'm not interested in the the whole 'leafing" thing at this point, so I'd like some advise on paints that are suitable for exterior use which will provide the typical "gold" look for lettering. What say you?

Joe Pelonio
05-25-2018, 11:44 PM
I found One-Shot metallic gold the best. I have also had good luck mixing metal powders into Chromatic clear for copper and bronze, but if they made it for gold it would be outrageaously expensive.

Jim Becker
05-26-2018, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Joe...and it's even available on Amazon. :) :D I'll give it a shot...pardon the expression. LOL

Rodger MacMunn
05-27-2018, 7:02 AM
Joe, you mush have had a lot better luck with 1-shot than I ever had....... most men's bald spot reflected more light than 1-shot metallic gold.
Their "Imitation Silver", which I believe was discontinued in '88, however, was awesome.

roger wiegand
05-27-2018, 7:59 AM
I know you said you're not interested, but there is really no substitute for looks and longevity than real gold leaf. It's not hard to do and kind of fun. The current price of gold makes one choke a bit, but it goes a long way. Imitation "dutch metal" leaf and gold paint quickly tarnish and lose their shine, especially outdoors; real gold will still look good in 100 years.

Jim Becker
05-27-2018, 10:39 AM
Let me clarify my comment about leaf...I'm very much interested in learning how to apply it correctly and use it for when it's the right choice. But I have to walk before I run. I'm still heavily in the CNC learning curve, have had a lot of unintentional distractions from a family matter and I have to be realistic about what I can accomplish in the time I have. I don't want to tell a few folks that I can't do what they need done in the near term because when starting a business, those first sales are important. The particular client (a friend) will be fine with the paint instead of the leaf and the work I do for them will be also employed for marketing purposes as part of the deal. When I have the opportunity, I absolutely will learn the leaf process...I was impressed with the samples I saw at McGrew's Aspire Camp.

I also ordered a Modern Masters gold product based on a recommendation on Camheads, so I think for this initial need, I'll be fine. I only bought a small container of the 1-Shot, too, and it was mostly with Amazon points, so little out of pocket.