PDA

View Full Version : A start, while waiting

steven c newman
05-24-2018, 10:59 PM
On other stuff to arrive. There is to be a Bedside Table built, to go with that bedframe.....needed to milled some legs, first. But, where to get the stock?
Well...IF you look off to the right, you will see acouple pieces of scrap, from the 2 x 10s....the long one is 29" long...
Marked a few lines, got this machine to some how follow the lines..
No jigs, just eyeball the cut....was close enough. Had four blanks, and the rest of the chunk?
Should make good firepit starter...
Marked the blanks for 25" in length...had a few knots to get rid of..right on the ends..
Used the mitersaw ( cordless?) to trim each to length..
The bandsawn edges needed a bit of work...wanted the blank to be straight and square..
Clamped all four together, and used the Heft & Hubris...aka Stanley No. 8..to flatten one side of the group..
Started to get decent shavings..must be about done..
Flip the mess over, and do the other side...hmmm...
Stay tuned for Part 2..

steven c newman
05-24-2018, 11:07 PM
Anyway, flipped the mess over, and reclamped. Made sure the freshly plane sides were flat on the bench...and added a clamp..
Checking to make sure all the parts of the clamps were out of the way...planed until the square said I was done..
Not too hateful? Two sides are done...big mess on the floor..
Pushing that 10 pounder around is a workout....a bit more than I wanted to do. Will let these blanks sit overnight, and see what I can do tomorrow....been a busy day.

Need to get the top processed....involves a glue up.....and start on some aprons..no drawer, this time. May taper the legs on two faces....no longer have a lathe. It may just be a simple Shaker table.
Stay tuned....( just something to do, while waiting on parts for the bed...:rolleyes:) and yes, I swept the floor..again.

steven c newman
05-27-2018, 7:57 PM
While I am waiting on this nasty looking finish to dry..
Let's just say I am not a fan. It IS what the Boss wanted...
Went to the shop, while it dried..
And made some shavings and sawdust...sawdust from cutting a panel from 48" down to two @24" long...shavings by Stanley #8
1 x 10"s. edges needed jointed. got all four edges done, test fit for any gaps..
Set up according to the grain...then spread a bead along one edge. Slide the other half back and forth in the glue, until I feel it "stick"....then add a few clamps..
And a single caul..
Then set the apron stock up..
To see where the best cuts will be, to make four table aprons...
Will have to cut these out....
And a few other knotty areas....May go back and taper the legs, on two edges, with a couple hand planes...once I figure out which edges will taper the best.

Simple little table, not even a drawer...
Stay tuned

NO, it will NOT get that Rustoleum Junk for a finish...

steven c newman
05-28-2018, 9:16 PM
Tapered legs....splayed out, or straight?...Any bead details, or just leave it plain?

Aprons.....beads or round overs, or?

Top; corners will get a round profile......bevel the underside? Roundover, or a cove?

And you thought this was a simple build...

Once the bed project is out of the way, I can restart this little project....
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-29-2018, 9:17 PM
Bed Frame Project is done. Assembled it today....and on my 3rd Lager to cool off...

Took the clamps off the blank for the top of this little table build. maybe tomorrow, I can start work on it.

Right now, I am too pooped to do too much more in the shop.....will even wait until tomorrow to put all the toys away...and there are a LOT of them upstairs....that need to go back to the shop...might need them later....

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-30-2018, 11:50 AM
Errands to run today....and haul all the tools to the shop, and be put away.....

Maybe later, I can set up a jig to taper the four legs with a plane or two...

Width of the aprons..plus an inch or so...then the start of the taper....1-1/2" down to 3/4" on the two "inside" faces.....should be enough shavings from that, to fill up the burn barrel.....Marshmallows would be extra..

Just a simple, little table...stay tuned..

steven c newman
05-30-2018, 4:02 PM
Maybe a three-parter, today..
Top is out of the clamps...all four edges have been planed straight and smooth..which leaves..
A bit of flattening..
And a little clean up. Set this aside...had to use a mitresaw..
To cut out the bad spots in the two 1 x 4 x 4' apron stock...wound up with these..
I also made sure the fan was "ON"
BEFORE I got going.
Legs needed tapered..normally it would mean a jig, and a long time with a few planes...
Marked how far down the apron go reach..
And in theory, a mark where the taper would start..usually 1" down...in theory..
We'll see how that went, in part 2...stay tuned..

steven c newman
05-30-2018, 4:16 PM
Ok, made a mark down at the "foot" end to leave 3/4" after the taper..
Straightedge to connect the two points....
Decided against a stiff back. Hogged the waste off with the bandsaw...THEN cleaned it up with the planes
Made the other tapered cut....needed a jig to hold this, while I planed away the saw marks...
Chopped a notch that fits the foot end...
Hmm, which jack plane to grab...
used this to clean up after the jack plane..
Repeat until the four legs have their two tapers done..
Then clean up a mess...almost finished filling the "Burn Barrel" today..
Enjoying a COLD Lager right now....I also had to clean out the bandsaw, then readjust it's settings....Just to get the tapers done. Then plane each taper smooth, mark which side does get a Mortise..
Maybe tomorrow, I can chop the mortises, and cut some tenons...? We'll see....

Debate is whether to add a few bead details..or just leave things plain...also have to cut the corners of the top a bit...about a round shape?

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Well, after supper...went back to the shop..
Ripped the aprons down to 3" wide..
Then planed the edges until they matched each other..
Then decided to do a little bead work..
Then set the Langdon 75 up, to saw the shoulders for the tenons...3/4" long tenons, 1/4" thick...Bandsaw to make the cheek cuts....then trim the width of the tenons...
Time to call it a day.....clean the floor, again..
Tomorrow I can set up to chop a few mortises and maybe do a bit of bead work on the legs?
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
05-31-2018, 3:17 PM
Late start, today. I suppose I should try the shop....85 degrees in the shade..outside.....

Camera battery is all charged up...might see what I can get done today...

steven c newman
05-31-2018, 6:53 PM
Mentioned the top was profiled a bit..
Top is 3/4 x 18 x 24...seems to be a decent size..
Tenons were already done, was just a matter of chopping a few holes ( lookee there, a round mallet, in use)
Outside corner of each leg also gets a bead detail...
And just kept doing these...
Aprons are centered on the leg....had to bevel the ends of the tenons....
Finally got things to the point I could try a dry fit, to get the clamps set up.
Couple of the tenons were wide enough, I could use an Aldi's 8mm chisel.....newer ones seem to like chopping, older ones are for paring...like the walls of the mortises...
Kept double checking myself...to make sure each part was where it was supposed to be....found one leg with a mis-marked "T" for tenon....wrong face. I also labelled each joint as to what apron went into which mortise...

Fan was on Medium today, spent half of the 3 hours sitting on the shop stool....
Maybe after Supper, I can go back and spread some glue?

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
05-31-2018, 10:04 PM
Ok...sitting here, picking dried glue off me fingers....

tried to glue and clamp on the bench...did not got too well...got this thing to the floor, in the only flat, open area in the shop....diagonal clamp to pull it into square at the top...
Feet needed adjusted...Back right leg splayed out too much, clamp to pull it back in Back left leg needed to splat out a hair..c clamp to do that...front two were a bit wider than the other two...pipe clamp to get 12" between the feet, same as the back ones. Will let this sit overnight...and see what I can do tomorrow..
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
06-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Maybe later this afternoon, I can wander to the shop, and remove that forest of clamps....

Need to make "corner blocks"

Like these. Slat down the center was a kicker for a drawer...
Glued, and screwed into place in each corner, then a slot is made to attach the top. Slot allows the top to move as the seasons change.
May use the Langdon 75 to cut the 45 degree ends, again. Counter sunk hole for the screws to attach to the aprons..Might be the "project" for today's shop time?

Stay tuned....oh..you do want the pictures from this sort of thing?

steven c newman
06-01-2018, 3:36 PM
Well, out of the clamps and ready to go..
Needed to cut the corner blocks..
Drill a few holes..
Installed into the corners..
with screws and glue....then cut some slots..
Just drill a hole, then rock the drill back and forth...Center the base onto the top..
And add screws into the center of the slots..
Turn the table over And smooth the top..
Molded edge was with a router..
Stay tuned for Part 2

steven c newman
06-01-2018, 3:44 PM
Ok, Router?
Cove bit installed...
Sander to ease the edges a bit...
First coat of Golden Oak Stain applied to just the top...for now.
When the top is dry, then I can finish the rest of the table, while it is sitting on it's top.

Then maybe a coat or two of gloss poly?
Just a simple Bedside table..
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
06-02-2018, 8:20 PM
Not much got done IN the shop, today...was out and about, checking out the yard sales....hit&miss.

Picked a stanley brace....the place had 8 braces sitting in a tub inside the building.....outside, sitting out in the weather for who knows how long, was Satnley No. 945 8" brace. Same place had a Defiance BY Stanley No. 1251, 1-1/2" wide socket chisel...without handle, of course...just a "plugged Mushroom"....$4 for the brace, $2 for the chisel. Add in three "water pump pliers" for a dollar each...$9 total for the day.

Just got back home, so pictures will just have to wait....maybe after Supper, I can do a little woodworking? (was too nice of a day to sit around the house..)

steven c newman
06-03-2018, 1:42 PM
Still too nice of a day....but I might do a bit in the shop, until it cools off enough to do yard work.....will see how THAT goes...18yr old Grandson has moved in to our place...starts a job at the local Honda Transmission plant in Die Casting. Maybe I can get him to mow the yard?

steven c newman
06-03-2018, 7:11 PM
Got the yard mowed, laid in a supply of cold Lagers to cool off with.

Cleaned the top up, set it on it's top on the bench..
And everything got a coat of Golden Oak stain....can is finally empty.
Even the corner blocks. Found two screws had poked through the aprons..will back them out and replace with shorter ones...Ooops.

Letting the stain dry, and the Lagers work on cooling me down.....may roast some hotdogs later..
Hauled this upstairs and out to the Firepit....waiting til after sundown to burn it.

steven c newman
06-04-2018, 8:56 PM
Couldn't quite get the entire trash can load into the firepit, last night...saved some for the next burn...This

being a Monday, and all...shop was closed today.....may go and check the Poly Gloss, and see IF I need a new can....or not.

Grandson #3 may need a table to set some of his "stuff" on...may just give the table to him, when done...

Had a chisel to sharpen...meh...maybe tomorrow. Toss up between that and applying varnish...we'll see...

Just a simple, little table...most could even make one of these in a weekend..

had to go to the basement, to check on the dryer, and see how much Varnish was available....Quart can was only missing 1/2of a pint....had to run a few clothes back through the dryer....soooo

First coat is now drying.....PIP in the morning....

steven c newman
06-04-2018, 11:07 PM
Pictures, or it didn't happen, right?
What is the term for when the grain changes, depending on which direction you view it?

Top is 3/4" x 18" x 24"....legs are 25" tall. Just a Pine table, nuttin fancy...

Richard Hutchings
06-05-2018, 6:35 AM
Chatoyence is the word. Im not sure of the spelling. Thats a beautiful table.

steven c newman
06-07-2018, 4:27 PM
Table is done. Need to lay in a supply of lumber, as the shop is now out. Then decide on the next Project to do....

Thanks to all that looked in. Just a simple pine table.