PDA

View Full Version : Made a couple more tools

Justin Ludwig
05-23-2018, 7:26 AM
I had been practicing dovetails without a marking gauge. Let's just say that laying them out with a rule and edge takes a bit of time and patience. I could have ordered a marking gauge... instead I made one in a couple hours.

386304 386305 386306

With a left over chunk of bois d'arc from this build I made a dovetail marker. 1:7 ratio. I need to put a slight bevel on my marking knives because the flat edge likes to catch on the wood and tear into it.

386307 386308

I made a mallet a few weeks ago out of soft maple (the head) and laminate cherry and maple for the handle. I drove bois d'arc wedges in the handle top but forgot to take pictures of that.

386309 386310

There's not much special about these tools visually, but they all work quite well (with my limited hand tool experience.)

Terry Beadle
05-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Nice tools !

It's very satisfying to make and use you own tools. One learns more from making them than buying them IMO.

Enjoy them and take pride in your productivity. It's a good thing.

Good Job!

Prashun Patel
05-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Great job! i get so much satisfaction every time I swing a made mallet. Those look great.

Jim Koepke
05-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Looking good on the shop made tools.

I need to put a slight bevel on my marking knives because the flat edge likes to catch on the wood and tear into it.

Why not attach thin strips of metal to the dovetail gage? A bevel on the marking knives will still likely catch wood at times and might make accurate marking a bit tougher.

jtk

Justin Ludwig
05-23-2018, 7:26 PM
Why not attach a thin strips of metal to the dovetail gage? A bevel on the marking knives will still likely catch wood at times and might make accurate marking a bit tougher.

jtk

Didn't think of that. I'll try putting a tiny bevel on the marking knife I made and see how the accuracy goes. If it doesn't work then I'll assess the dovetail maker. Thanks for the idea.