PDA

View Full Version : HR130 resaw on kiln dry wood

dirk martin
05-22-2018, 7:21 PM
I'm looking at a used HR130 Woodmizer resaw being sold at auction, in southern IL.
Every time I see an HR130 being used in video's, they're resawing green cants.

I'll be using it exclusively for resawing kiln dry hardwoods.
It's 3phase, which I don't have, in my large 7,000 sq.ft. shop.
But, I know nothing about 3 phase. Is that expensive / time consuming to get installed? I have no idea if we're talking $200, or $2,000 to install 3phase.
It's 15 horse power, 230v 3 phase.

Anybody have any experience with this resaw?

Bryan Lisowski
05-22-2018, 7:47 PM
I'm guessing, but I would bet that it would go through kiln dried wood easier than green cants. Getting 3 phase power will be difficult in a residential setting. If you are in an industrial park would be easier. They do make phase converters and I'm sure others will give you advise on what's best, but will run you some money.

Bradley Gray
05-22-2018, 8:34 PM
You would need either a rotary phase converter (RPC)or a variable frequency drive (VFD)

I have an RPC that will start 10hp and run 20hp. You would need something larger.

My 10hp converter requires 60 amps 220v single phase so you are likely looking at a 100amp 220v input.

If you can obtain an extra 3 phase motor of 15-20hp a rotary converter is fairly simple to get running- basically you need a starter switch and a small single phase motor capable of spinning the 3 phase motor up to speed.

I used to know a machinist who ran his whole shop from a 20hp idler that he spun up in the morning using his foot on the pulley!

Those Woodmiser resaws are really nice!

dirk martin
05-23-2018, 12:55 AM
I'm in an agricultural setting, so I start by checking with my electrical power provider?
Not residential, but not an industrial park either.
Out in the country, with farmers around.

dirk martin
05-23-2018, 1:01 AM
Is this what I'm looking at needing?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Rotary-Phase-Converter-15-HP/G7978

$2,700? wow....

Morey St. Denis
05-23-2018, 9:12 AM
Note where Grizzly recommends: "choose a nameplate rating 3 times the HP of the most heavily loaded motor". That is a fact with rotary phase converters expected to start only a singular large machine. You've reported that the band saw mill you're looking at is rated 15 HP three phase. While an electric drive bandsaw mill may not be particularly "hard starting" you will certainly need a phase converter rated at least 150% of the largest load you want to start. Normally, for this application, I would suggest a 3 phase rotary converter rated about 25 electrical Horsepower or 16 to 20 KW should get the job done, but Grizzly appears not to offer one, you're likely looking at their 30 HP model, priced in the range of $3,500! You might eventually find a RPC used for around half that figure, but shipping cost would be a killer, these are very heavy; likely needs to be available for a somewhat local pick-up. Due to the relative inaccessibility of 3 phase power reported in your area and the potential advantage of mill portability, you might be better served with a trailer mounted gasoline engine powered saw mill... I gather you must already have a substantial investment in agricultural or hydraulic excavating equipment needed to maneuver logs to a fixed-base sawmill location? If you're checking with your local utility for 3 phase availability, in terms they will readily recognize, you actually want to inquire about 100 Amp, 3 Phase, 208 Volt service near your location.

You've not mentioned any representative rough sizes for these kiln dried hardwoods you wish to resaw. The throat capacity of that stationary horizontal sawmill is reportedly 16". Why not also consider a larger vertical bandsaw for all your typical resawing needs? Something in the family of an economical 17" Grizzly G0513 or 19" G0514 would likely get the job done, these boast a throat capacity over 16", resaw depth of 12", handles narrow kerf thin-backed blades up to 1" width and run on either 120 VAC or 240V regular household single phase.

dirk martin
05-23-2018, 7:03 PM
And that's exactly what I'm doing right now, Morey.
I have a 24" Minimax vertical bandsaw that I do all my slicing on, currently.

When I saw this horizontal resaw being sold, I started looking into it.

Something sure seems to be missing, from this equation, when a 5HP vertical BS can do the job of a 15HP horizontal unit.

So, why even go horizontal?
Well, from what I've seen in the video's, it seems faster, and safer.
We use a stock feeder on our vertical resawing, but the horizontal units simply appear faster and safer.
That's also why, I initially asked about speed. Resawing with my vertical saw, certainly isn't fast. And the video's seem to really move the wood thru these horizontal machines.