PDA

View Full Version : Looking for source of exotics.

Matthew Curtis
05-22-2018, 7:07 PM
I want to try making some small things with exotics. Looked at the local woodcraft and i was sticker shocked. Maybe I am not knowledgeable enough to know any better.

Where are some good places to get exotics?

Matt Day
05-22-2018, 7:30 PM
Check the online wood dealers, especially for small projects.

John K Jordan
05-22-2018, 7:43 PM
I want to try making some small things with exotics. Looked at the local woodcraft and i was sticker shocked. Maybe I am not knowledgeable enough to know any better.

Where are some good places to get exotics?

I like to buy from Pete Kekel (Big Monk Lumber), "not far" down the road from you (Erlanger, Kentucky). He has a huge variety, the quality has always been excellent and the prices are reasonable. I buy from him at the regional woodturning symposiums and over the phone - I think he still has some great prices on pieces of Gaboon Ebony sticks (1+" square, 12" long) - the price was so good I called him up recently and asked him to stuff as many as he could into a flat rate USPS box. I usually buy pieces from 2" to 4" square and at least 12" long.

http://www.bigmonklumber.com/products.html
pete@bigmonklumber.com

JKJ

Scott Brader
05-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Are there any independent local hardwood suppliers around you? I go to a small shop that offers a wide range of domestic woods that they cut and dry themselves along with a pretty good selection of exotics. Their prices are way lower than Woodcraft or any of the lumber suppliers around here. I typically only buy and work with domestic woods, but my wife loves to pick through the bins of small pieces of exotics for wood.

Scott

Carlos Alvarez
05-23-2018, 11:58 AM
We have two local places that stock exotics at great prices; your city should also. For small quantities, Rockler and similar places will have many, just at a very high price. Woodworker's Source ships nationally, but again, pricing may be stiff. And there are a bunch of eBay sellers.

John K Jordan
05-23-2018, 12:19 PM
You might also try http://www.woodfinder.com/ to search for supplier in your area.

JKJ

Carlos Alvarez
05-23-2018, 12:24 PM
You might also try http://www.woodfinder.com/ to search for supplier in your area.

JKJ

I was excited to try it. But it doesn't contain two local suppliers that I know for a fact exist. It only has the obvious/expensive sellers like Rockler.

Jim Becker
05-23-2018, 1:00 PM
Larger concerns like Hearne Hardwoods and other similar are a good go-to for exotics since they tend to stock them for both instrument making and for fine furniture. Exotics are going to be "pricy" no matter where they are purchased, but retail stores like Woodcraft and Rockler are going to be over-the-top expensive because of the additional markup typical of such businesses.

Carlos Alvarez
05-23-2018, 1:17 PM
Well yeah, it's never cheap. Wenge is $25/bd-ft at Rockler and Woodworkers, while it is under $8 at the real lumberyard.

Matt Day
05-23-2018, 1:49 PM
I just realize you are in Columbus, there are a ton of woodworkers down there. Contacting a local club might be a good idea. Or use Google maps to search for hardwood lumber or something works very good too. I’ve never had any luck with woodfinder.com

John K Jordan
05-23-2018, 2:15 PM
...I’ve never had any luck with woodfinder.com

I picked a Columbus zip code at random and searched for "exotic", "mahogany", etc.

Most of the companies Woodfinder listed were Woodcraft stores, plus a couple others:
C.R. Muterspaw Lumber Co. Xenia OH (86 miles)
Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #16 Cincinnati OH (119 miles)

From Google (I searched for exotic wood dealer columbus ohio)
Columbus Millwork Westerville, Ohio
Keim Lumber, Charm Ohio
KenCraft, Toledo Ohio
and more...

JKJ

Ralph Okonieski
05-23-2018, 7:29 PM
Keim Lumber has a wide selection of exotics, maybe 100 or so in their store. I do not normally buy exotics from them but really enjoy walking around to look at the different species.

Wade Lippman
05-23-2018, 8:40 PM
Well yeah, it's never cheap. Wenge is $25/bd-ft at Rockler and Woodworkers, while it is under $8 at the real lumberyard.

I'd like to see you document a source for $8/bf

Carlos Alvarez
05-23-2018, 10:39 PM
I'd like to see you document a source for $8/bf

Well, I need some soon, so I'll update the price if it has changed. I'm not sure when I bought it last. Guess I should have bought more?

John K Jordan
05-24-2018, 6:14 AM
I was excited to try it. But it doesn't contain two local suppliers that I know for a fact exist. It only has the obvious/expensive sellers like Rockler.

I don't know for sure but I think Woodfinder only lists suppliers who pay a fee to be included. I've used it to find local sawmills before I got a WoodMizer.

Danny Hamsley
05-24-2018, 7:45 AM
thewoodyard.com. They will ship.

John Welty
05-24-2018, 8:39 AM
If you ever get anywhere near Asheville Nc ( I know a 7-8 hr drive) But if you ever get down this way look up "Core Mart" Maybe 10 miles north of town. They get wood from all over the world ( I mean ALL over the world) and make pen blanks for one of the woodworking catalogs we all get in the mail.
They have several bins of shorts, cutoffs,etc. Each bin is like 5 X 6 X 3 ft deep heaped to the top with wood that they sell by the lb. Last time I went I think it was $6 a lb.

John K Jordan
05-24-2018, 8:51 AM
If you ever get anywhere near Asheville Nc ( I know a 7-8 hr drive) But if you ever get down this way look up "Core Mart" Maybe 10 miles north of town.

I finally found it I think, with the name Cormark instead.

Is this it?
Cormark International
179 Reems Creek Road
Weaverville, NC 28787
(828) 658- 8455
https://www.cormarkint.com/

I may just drive over and check it out!

JKJ

John Welty
05-24-2018, 10:07 AM
You are correct, my bad. It is indeed "Cormark International" And that is the right address. Last time I went I asked if I could wander around a bit to look at what. they offer. They said no problem and the next hr was an eye opener for exotic wood.

Edwin Santos
05-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Who may I ask is the real lumberyard you're referencing?
Thanks

Carlos Alvarez
05-24-2018, 11:03 AM
I don't know for sure but I think Woodfinder only lists suppliers who pay a fee to be included. I've used it to find local sawmills before I got a WoodMizer.

Might be, but my comment was on the fact that you can't rely on it, as a user. The three places I would look first were not on the list. Two are places that don't advertise and "nobody" seems to know about, but they have great prices. The third is a very large tool and lumber dealer. They do list the stuff everyone knows about, like Woodworker's Source. My non-woodworking neighbor even knew about them (and bought a bunch of lumber there to make a table at 2x price instead of asking me first).

Wade Lippman
05-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Well, I need some soon, so I'll update the price if it has changed. I'm not sure when I bought it last. Guess I should have bought more?

Happens to all of us. 10 years ago I found a load of nice kingwood on sale for $20/bf. I had no use for it, but it seemed like a good buy so I bought 5bf of it. Geez, why didn't I buy 50bf!?!?!

Carlos Alvarez
05-24-2018, 12:02 PM
During the economic downturn, many woodworking/cabinet shops closed up, and we bought a LOT of wood. When your wife is also into woodworking, she just automatically gets special deals just for being female in a shop. Flame maple 6/4 at under $2/ft?? We took it ALL. Bubinga at $4? We have around half a ton left, mostly 8/4+. So yeah, we haven't purchased lumber in a lot of years. The Wenge, my favorite wood for part of the house, wasn't as plentiful and we are now out of anything more than cut-offs. I need to finish a project and fear the price tag.