PDA

View Full Version : Scribing lines in white styrene?

C Scott McDonald
05-22-2018, 4:21 PM
Hello,
Is it possible to scribe lines in white plastic styrene with a laser? I know zippo about lasers. The application would be for vertical siding on an 1930's era Ho scale boxcar. It would need to be a deeper scribe then shallow then deep etc. If it is possible what program file would I present to one of you guys to scribe a sheet? I currently draw in Autodesk Fusion 360 but can try other programs. Sheets are only 8.5x11 or smaller.

Thanks!
Scott McDonald

Dave Sheldrake
05-22-2018, 11:59 PM
"Styrene" covers a lot of evils, you would really need to know what type of plastic from the MSDS sheet....Typical modellers plasticard can vary between great to work with right through to "it's going to melt your lungs" and just about everything in between :)

Howard Garner
05-23-2018, 6:35 AM
Hello,
Is it possible to scribe lines in white plastic styrene with a laser? I know zippo about lasers. The application would be for vertical siding on an 1930's era Ho scale boxcar. It would need to be a deeper scribe then shallow then deep etc. If it is possible what program file would I present to one of you guys to scribe a sheet? I currently draw in Autodesk Fusion 360 but can try other programs. Sheets are only 8.5x11 or smaller.

Thanks!
Scott McDonald

I have done this, but the results are not the best.
I assume Evergreen Styrene (brand) sheets.

Drop me a personnel message on Monday with the specs and I'll get a sample done for you.
Off to a NMRA Regional convention tomorrow.

Howard Garner

Kev Williams
05-23-2018, 5:41 PM
rotary tool-- run the shallow pass, deeper pass, done- and clean as a whistle... :)

Greg W Watson
06-01-2018, 10:19 AM
You can ABSOLUTELY do this on Styrene. I do it all the time for certain customers. You just have to test and get your settings dialed in. I dont etch them I cut at lower power and higher speed and adjust to get the depth I want.