PDA

View Full Version : Latest turnings

Rich Stewart
11-18-2005, 2:07 PM
While I'm at it I might as well show some of the things I did lately. I am feeling a little sheepish showing these after seeing everybody elses stuff but maybe I'll get better. I made the little box out of some catalpa wood. About 2 and a half diameter and 4 in. tall. Pretty soft wood, easy to tear up. BLO and turners polish. I'm not sure what the bowl is. Maybe elm? Hackberry? I bought a turners sample pack of six kinds of wood from Ebay and I didn't write down what was what. I read a thread somewhere about how some people try to use their sandpaper too long and I thought, 'That is definately me' so I threw all my sandpaper out and broke out all new. Really made a difference. The end grain tear out I have been having trouble with was a lot better. I was kind of beating myself up because of tool marks and my wife said, "I like the tool marks. Lets me know a human made it. If I want perfect I'll go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and buy a machine made bowl or pepper mill." Love that woman. Maybe there is something to what she said. My neighbor (the cabinet maker) says some people pay extra for a 'distressed' look. He builds a cabinet and then takes a crecent wrench and screwdriver to it. So maybe I can tell everybody I do distressed turnings. Haha. Anyway, heres my latest. Don't bust your guts.

John Hart
11-19-2005, 8:38 AM
Hey Rich....Those are nice turnings. I'm not gonna beat you up...but I will disagree with mamma. The toolmarks are going to eat at you. I think the signature on the bottom will seperate you from Bed Bath & Beyond just fine. Looks like Mike Stafford's getting some competition!!:) :)

Carole Valentine
11-19-2005, 9:13 AM
Rich, you've certainly come a long way since you posted your first turnings! But I will have to also disagree with your wife. Tool marks (especially) and sanding marks are definitely a no-no in turning! Do NOT accept them as "good enough"! Even very subtle ripples (in a platter for instance) that we may not be able to see clearly are very evident through one's sense of touch. Keep up the good work!

Bill Stevener
11-19-2005, 11:13 AM
[quote=Rich Stewart] I am feeling a little sheepish showing these after seeing everybody elses stuff but maybe I'll get better.

Hi Rich,

Your work is very promising. If you use the cabinet maker as a mentor, the cabinet maker that puts his heart into his work, is rewarded with his efforts installed in the finer homes in the Hamptons. Others may be acceptable in more of a hunting camp atmosphere.

Would you go to Ethan Allen and pay $1,000 for a coffee table, and upon the delivery of the same, find they had scratched the entire top, and said well it has that fine distressed look?

But on the other hand, it could be the retired QA engineer in me, or the instructor I had as a youngster, that always said, "it's not finished yet.

It truly gets easier with a better attitude, and you will find your self only buying the finer grit sandpaper in time.

The only thing I see wrong, is the word you used in the above sentence, "Maybe". Leaving that word out of your thoughts, You, will get better.

Well that's my .02
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Mark Cothren
11-19-2005, 3:34 PM
Rich,

I really like the box! The bowl looks good, too - I just like the box better...:D

I appreciate that comments the others have made, but I am of the mind "If you like it - I love it". I know there are some "rules" that obviously make a bowl, platter, hollow form, etc, look better to most eyes. But I think if you made it, you are satisfied with it, and you like it - then it's good for me.

Your wife sounds like mine - very encouraging. God blessed me with a wonderful wife. So far I think she has liked everything I have turned (even if she didn't like it ;) ).

Thanks for sharing your work here - I appreciate it and enjoy it!

Rich Stewart
11-20-2005, 6:34 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. I actually think I am doing pretty well for the amount of time I have to actually turn. I work three 16 hour days and two 8 hour days, sometimes another overtime 8 hour shift, and then between sleeping and doing family stuff I get to turn maybe 5-8 hours a week. And sometimes not even that when shopping trips come up or fishing trips with the boys, movies with wifey. So considering I saw my first lathe last Dec in Taiwan, bought my first lathe in February, and finally thawed enough to use it in March, I think I am going alright. My stuff will get much better once I get this workshop set up. Right now I have to set up and take down everytime and I'm always in a rush to try to finish what I'm doing so I can try something else. No lights out on the deck so darkness hinders me too. BLO never dries completely before polish. No time for that. Polish never dries before being picked up. I wasn't buying the 'distressed' thing either. I will always strive to get the best possible finish on any of my turnings. I have never considered myself an artist or craftsman. I always said this is therapy and Mark is right. Even if it isn't perfect, it still makes me happy. Carole and John you are right too. One should always do their best. Can't wait to show you guys my new workshop. If it ever gets here. Thanks again for looking.

John Hart
11-20-2005, 7:17 AM
Geez Rich...You sound like me!! 'Cept for the part of tearing down and setting up. I think that I would get discouraged if I had to do that. I admire your tenacity to keep at it. I've found that all you really have to do is give up the sleep part and you'll get plenty of lathe time. There's no real proof that you need to sleep. All those people in the research studies were probably just lazy...:rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
11-20-2005, 8:36 AM
They're all good lookers to me.....but I like the box better. I guess you could say that the box is my favorite pick of the litter. :rolleyes: :D

Ernie Nyvall
11-21-2005, 8:16 PM
I think you are doing fine Rich. Your wife has a kind heart, but with your start, I'm sure she will see that BB and B has nothing over on your work.

Ernie