PDA

View Full Version : Bowl gouge

Rich Stewart
11-18-2005, 1:54 PM
Ok, I finally got around to taking some pics of the chisel I am having trouble with. The one on the left is the one I use all the time and can do pretty much anything with. The one on the right is the one I can't get to do anything. Is it a bowl gouge? Roughing gouge? What? How is thing used? Won't rough out a bowl, won't clean out a bowl.

Andy Hoyt
11-18-2005, 2:32 PM
Rich - Assuming that the two pics are showing the same two tools:

The one on the left is a spindle gouge. Great for work between centers. Stay away from bowls with it. Used for cutting coves and such on spindles.

The one on the right is a roughing gouge. Great for work between centers. Stay away from bowls with it. Used for quickly removing material in bulldozer fashion. Great for getting square stuff round.

That you got those bowls in your other post turned with these tools tells me that you were taking very light cuts and a very big risk. Go get a 3/8" bowl gouge that has an Irish Grind to it (aka Ellsworth Grind) and I think you'll be a happy camper.

But don't buy the gouge unless you're also willing (and able) to sharpen it frequently.

Rich Stewart
11-18-2005, 2:58 PM
Thanks Andy. These are not the ONLY tools I have. I have lots more but the one on the right I could never get it to do anything. Turning square stuff it just skips off the piece. I thought too dull but a machinist here at work told me it is plenty sharp. I used several other tools to turn the...uh...objects in my other post.

Carole Valentine
11-18-2005, 3:01 PM
Man, I can't tell what they are from the pics. The one on the right looks like a 3/4" roughing gouge that's sorely in need of of a visit with the grinder. The one on the left...dunno, almost looks like a 3/4" roughing gouge that someone tried to turn into a bowl gouge. Sure doesn't look like a spindle gouge to me, but I can't see it very well. Whatever it is, it also needs a trip to the grinder. You might try a fingernail grind on your bowl and spindle gouges. Makes them much more versatil. I use something similar to an Ellsworth grind. If I can find it, I will send you a link that shows pics of how various turners grind their tools.

Rich Stewart
11-18-2005, 3:33 PM
I have been sharpening with a belt sander so these are pretty much the way they came out of the box. I now have a 2 speed grinder and a little more confidence. I would very much appreciate that link on various grinds. I also got a sharpening jig. Waiting for my new shed to get here so I can set everything up. Got the Jet mini. Dust collector. Couple new chisels. Buffing system. I'm pretty much addicted. I did the "How to tell if you are an alcoholic" test, substituting 'turning' for 'drinking' and boy did I fail. Pretty much all I think about now. Just dont get a lot of time to do it. I get a couple hours a week when i am able to get out and do it to it. I guess thats why my progress is so slow.

Ed Lang
11-18-2005, 3:47 PM
Get the Bill Grumbine DVD and find a local person or club to get with.

I hope the new shed gets there soon!

Andy Hoyt
11-18-2005, 4:10 PM
Rich - Your machinist is, well, not neccessarily correct. The edges in your pics do look rather dull, but maybe he didn't see what we're seeing.

Anyway, if you want to do bowls and other forms the tool you'll be most happy with is soemthing that looks like this.

PS: Ed is right. Find a local club and to do so you can start here - http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List

Chris Barton
11-18-2005, 4:47 PM
Hi Rich,

Andy is dead on right about what you have; a spindle gouge and a roughing gouge. His advice is also dead on, the spindle gouge is OK for axial truning but not much more than that and the roughing gouge is good for making the outside of something round. However, just looking at them they don't look too sharp and I am basing that on the pitch and wood dust build up in the flutes which is a sign of being dull. The lathe is a wonderful tool and is very addictive but, the biggest "buzz kill" there is to turning is dull tools. If you don't have a grinder I would put that on my wish list. Woodcraft sells a very nice unit that they often have on sale for around $80. Another 80 will get you a Wolverine sharpening system and the turning world will be your oyster... There are many very good deals on turning sets that would give you a fair complement of tools at a reasonable price (less that $100). In my formative turning days I bought a Steelex set that has a very nice bowl gouge and 7 other very useful turning tools for $99 and I still use them often. That bowl gouge is my favorite.

Carole Valentine
11-18-2005, 4:59 PM
Tool grinds Library
http://tinyurl.com/b4mlv